• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Spicy Rice Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
uyu7p24.jpg

5xnQ0OJ.jpg

5QqmO62.jpg

Not pictured is the crabmeat, since I have a shellfish allergy I wanted to handle it as little as possible. That's just for the wifes california rolls

You are making my argument for me. Boxed vs. making fresh. ;)

Hey this is called a CHALLENGE for a reason!

geeme said:
Um. That's rather like saying there's no diff between boxed mashed potatoes and fresh mashed potatoes. Technically the same, but not. No how. No way. I'm with D3 on this. :mope:

;)
I'm confused.
Boxed Panko is better than homemade?

Salsalady's Unplanned Rice Stuff

I had no plans of entering the TD...and I'm not even sure if it Koalifies to the rules...but after last night's Grange Hall Mardi Gras dinner, we were still wanting to ...laissez les bons temps rouler.

Cooking up some spicy red beans with bacon and RICE, browned onions, bits of leftover chicken, garlic butter toasted baguette slices.....

...wine...

......DINNER!

Render half a pound of diced bacon, remove the crispy bacon bits and saute some diced onions in the bacon grease.  Remove and drain.

IMG_5935.JPG

IMG_5936.JPG

IMG_5937.JPG

Add 2 cans red beans (pour a bit of the liquid off) and a can of tomato sauce in a crock pot.  Add 3 tablespoons Cajun-type seasoning mix, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 cups chicken stock, couple dashes of hot sauce to taste, and about half of the cooked bacon bits.  Save the rest for garnish.

Bring to a simmer and smash up the beans a bit.  Add 1 cup rice, cover and cook on low until rice is tender.
IMG_5938.JPG

Garlic Bread slices-  cut a baguette on a hard bias to make thin but long bread slices.  Schmear with butter, sprinkle with garlic powder, gently toast in a skillet.
IMG_5941.JPG

Spoon up the spicy rice and beans, top with bacon, eat with yummy garlic bread.  ENJOY!!!

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

[SIZE=11pt]Black Rice Crepes stuffed with Arancini[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]When this throwdown was first announced I was keen to do something that would be challenging and unusual.  I spent a couple days brainstorming a bunch of ideas, and then spent the next couple days culling them until I settled on making some savory crepes out of home ground rice flour.  But what to fill them with?  I’m not big on sweets, so a dessert crepe stuffed with rice pudding wasn’t happening.  Then I struck on arancini - the wonderful street food from Sicily that is deep fried mozzarella stuffed rice balls.  Oh hell yeah let’s do this!! [/SIZE]

2zsnxo3.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]I found some black rice in the pantry and thought it would be a nice color for the crepes.  When ground it’s more purplish than black, but it’s still pretty cool lookin.   ;) [/SIZE]Take 1 cup of black rice and grind it into flour in your blender or coffee grinder (or grain mill if you have one).  Mix in 2 beaten eggs and 1 cup of milk along with 1 tbsp melted butter, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp of some hot as hell flake D3monic sent me last summer.  Stir all that really well with a whisk and then pour out ¼ cup portions into a lightly greased non stick pan.  Swirl the pan to spread the batter, cook for about 30 seconds and then flip and cook the other side for another 30 seconds.  

qqwy0p.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Our crepes are ready and wrapped up to stay warm, now to make the arancini!  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
6emdjm.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Start by making a risotto.  Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in saucepan over medium high flame.  Add ½ a large onion (diced) and cook until just translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add 2 cups short grain rice (I used sushi rice) and stir well to coat the rice with oil.  Cook for another 2 minutes just until the rice is turning clear on the ends and then add 1 cup of white wine.  Cook until it’s almost completely evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.  When the wine is about gone add 2 cups homemade chicken stock and turn the heat down to medium low.  Cook, stirring often, until the stock is almost gone and the risotto looks almost like porridge.  Test the rice - if it’s still not done add a ¼ cup more stock and keep cooking, adding stock if necessary until it’s just tender.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
5fp6v4.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Spread the risotto out on a parchment lined sheet pan and allow to cool.  I stuck it outside in our garage for about an hour.  Once it’s completely cool scrape it into a large mixing bowl and scoop out ¼ cup portions and form them into flat discs.  Add a bit of diced mozzarella and a bit of diced habanero and fold the disc around the cheese and pepper to form a small ball.  Place finished balls on another cookie sheet lined with parchment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
2v8qpon.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]When you have enough of the rice balls make a slurry with a ¼ cup of flour and a ½ cup water.  Drop the rice balls in the slurry and then roll them around on a shallow plate filled with 1 cup of breadcrumbs seasoned with a bit of salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.  Then deep fry them in 375 degree oil for about 4-6 minutes until nicely browned.  Drain them on a rack.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
2ajsymb.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]and [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
ips1o6.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Now it’s time to assemble the plate!!  Take a crepe and add a small handful of arugula that’s been dressed with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil.  Top with 3 or 4 of the arancini and roll that baby up![/SIZE]

2jc8qk2.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]I made a quick mushroom sauce using ¼ cup shallot and 8oz of sliced mushrooms sauteed in 1 tbsp of butter.  Once the shrooms are soft add 1 cup of stock and bring up to a simmer.  Stir in ¼ cup milk that’s been mixed with ½ tsp cornstarch.  Allow the sauce to come to a boil to thicken then remove from the heat.   [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
21ci1s9.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Ladle a bit of the mushroom sauce on the plate, then lay down a crepe or two.  Garnish with a bit of chopped green onion and dig in!   :)  [/SIZE]To drink we have homemade horchata, a sweet and creamy cinnamon spiced concoction that’s long been a favorite in our house.  Super simple to make too!  Take 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of almonds and soak them overnight in 2 cups of hot water.  Put the whole shebang in a blender the next morning, add 1 cup turbinado sugar and hit the liquefy button.  Pour the batch through a fine mesh strainer to get the grit out, then mix in 2 cups milk and refrigerate till cold.  Pour out into a glass and garnish with a cinnamon stick.  

2z9d27t.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back