• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How does everyone use epsom salt?

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
After doing alot of reading I went and picked up some epsom salt. How does everyone use it? Foliar spray? Or soil drench? And how much do you add per gallon? Ive been fighting alot of bugs lately so I've been spraying my plants with insecticidal soap regularly so i would like to avoid a foliar spray if possible but if everyone thinks its best then i will go that route. Thanks in advance.

I use it, some people say it does nothing, others swear by it. It won't hurt your plant and to me it seems to invigorate growth. We also use it as a palm fertilizer down here to keep the leafs from yellowing. I use it as a foliar spray for the peppers 1 tbsp per quart spray bottle.

Edmick said:
After doing alot of reading I went and picked up some epsom salt. How does everyone use it? Foliar spray? Or soil drench? And how much do you add per gallon? Ive been fighting alot of bugs lately so I've been spraying my plants with insecticidal soap regularly so i would like to avoid a foliar spray if possible but if everyone thinks its best then i will go that route. Thanks in advance.
Q: Foliar spray? 
A: Nope

Q: Or soil drench?
A: Nope

Q:  Ive been fighting alot of bugs lately so I've been spraying my plants with insecticidal soap regularly so i would like to avoid a foliar spray
A:  Good decision.

I have little experience with pepper plants coz i did grow only ~400 varieties.   According to my little experience, for pepper plant, LESS IS MORE.
All you need is good soil and then leave the plant alone.  If you have perfect environment, bugs will be killed by predator and/or infected by beneficial fungi / bacteria. 

^^^ This is true, but most people do not have the perfect environment, hence posts like these asking for help and advice.

If you want to use it as a foliar spray I recommend spraying up under the leaves. There's more stomata under there and the plant will absorb it better. Plus there's no issue with salts on the surface after the spray dries.

The Tablespoon per gallon ratio is good if you want to use it in a watering can. It's a great magnesium boost, even though there are plenty of other ways to do this, Epsom salts are pretty easy.

I remember as a kid hearing about Epsom salt from my mom's gardener friends and seeing the results in their flowers.

Back