• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The KAOS Bonchi - It's a Ghost

KAOS said:
Post some pics of your NuMex when you get going. I'd like to see your progress.
Absolutely, man. Want me to dump them here (I won't if you don't want me to hijack your thread)?

I'm planning on using a pre-packaged Cactus mix. I still have an unopened bag leftover from last year, when I said I was going to Bonchi a Twilight plant but didn't, haha

MikeUSMC said:
Absolutely, man. Want me to dump them here (I won't if you don't want me to hijack your thread)?

I'm planning on using a pre-packaged Cactus mix. I still have an unopened bag leftover from last year, when I said I was going to Bonchi a Twilight plant but didn't, haha
I'm looking at using some cactus/succulent mix for my bonchis this year. Last year I actually stopped at a bonsai shop and got some akadama but this year I think I'm going cactus mix or something like ProMix and just topping with the akadama since it looks cool.

Yeah, I just grabbed a bag of MG Cactus mix. I also got some decorative stones I'll probably put on top, to try to keep fungus gnats away.

I'm thinking of doing this with one or two plants and maybe trying it to see how one reacts once put back into a bigger container. If it works out, it could be pretty cool for overwinter.

Hijack away. It will be good to have a current thread (this one or we create a new one) to keep a record of our successes and failures in a single place rather than follow a multitude of glogs.

Got some decoration going. Let's just hope it takes now ...

IMG_6285.jpg

Looks awesome, KAOS! I got my Bonchi trimming "kit" (scissors, training wire, etc.) a week or so ago. Haven't had the time to dig up the plant yet though :mope:

TheTRPV1Agonist said:

Looks great, can't wait to see it flowering and fruiting! 
Thanks Peter. It had some nice flowers on, but lost them all. Lots of buds so maybe something will eventually take.

MikeUSMC said:
Looks awesome, KAOS! I got my Bonchi trimming "kit" (scissors, training wire, etc.) a week or so ago. Haven't had the time to dig up the plant yet though :mope:
Cheers Mike. Can't wait to see some more hit the forum. Great little plants to mess around with.

dragonsfire said:
Great looking moss too :)
It is good looking moss Neil. Strangely enough it grows in my back yard. Found a big patch while I was cutting the lawn.

Walchit said:
Geez, maybe I will do a bonchi
Come on Walchit. You know you want to ...

The moss looks really nice but it must be tricky.  I mean, moss likes to be kept damp, but chillies really don't like soggy roots, so it must be a real balancing act.  Or do you just mist spray the moss rather than watering it?

Mitzi said:
The moss looks really nice but it must be tricky.  I mean, moss likes to be kept damp, but chillies really don't like soggy roots, so it must be a real balancing act.  Or do you just mist spray the moss rather than watering it?
My understanding was that moss doesn't have roots anyway so it's best to spray

Started with two of my peppers as well. Decided to go through with just one today and wired the other. Broke off three "important" branches though :(

I think I've decided to try converting my unknown black prince cross to a bonchi, as well as my chocolate bhut once it's last few pods ripen.

Planning on trying with a bunch of my plants from this season. Luckily I was able to leave them on my old property the last month and I'm going back to get them this weekend. Thank god for ex good neighbors. 

qqQoMol.jpg

Not a pepper but here's a lil tree. I just need a more aesthetically appealing container.   :rofl:

I have a few small cedar trees in .5 gal pots on the front porch that Im waiting another year to being to bonsai. They're already about a year old. 

I'm thinking some of the wilds like c. praetermissum with small leaves would make a good bonchi. Or chacoense, I know they've got little leaves. 

KAOS said:
Hi Mike

Post some pics of your NuMex when you get going. I'd like to see your progress.
Ok, finally got around to starting mine today.

Supplies. Cheap little Bonsai kit from Amazon (I think it was like $7) and training wire (another $7)
IMG_5675.JPG

NuMex Twilight candidate
IMG_5676.JPG

Initial cut
IMG_5677.JPG

I transplanted this directly on top of a baseball in the Spring, anticipating turning this plant into a Bonchi
IMG_5678.JPG

Trimmed and cleaned off the root ball
IMG_5679.JPG

I've gotta say, that was pretty uneventful, lol. I was hoping the roots would've been a lot thicker. I was aiming to have the roots totally exposed, leaving a big hollow space underneath. The roots were just too flimsy to support the weight of the plant, and it kept collapsing. Maybe I could've used some of the thick training wire here, but I was already getting aggravated after about 10 failed attempts, lol. Oh well. Also sprinkled a bunch of cinnamon onto the top of the soil, in an attempt to deter fungus gnats. It's worked for me in seedling trays in the past (fingers crossed)
IMG_5680.JPG

If I feel like the root system is getting stronger/thicker, I might uproot it a little bit later on to try to get that big empty space underneath. Or maybe I'll grow it in a bigger pot, as a full sized plant again next year, then re-Bonchi it again at the end of next season, with stronger roots. For now, this is what I've got
IMG_5683.JPG

Now, I've just gotta find a place to put it in my house, lol
IMG_5682.JPG

I haven't tried using any of the training wire or anything yet. We'll see what happens once I start seeing some new growth. I can already tell you I don't have the freakin' patience for a project like this, haha

Wish me luck!

That looks great Mike. Seems as though you got a keeper right there. Good idea with the baseball.

You mush drop some pics when you get repotted Peppa.

My moss not looking too good. At lest half is not going to make it. The mix is also a bit dense so she'll have to be repotted this weekend.

KAOS the moss might look like it's dying but it almost always comes back. When it starts to darken mist it with a spray bottle. most moss goes into a desiccated dormancy 

If you want healthy lush moss spritz it with either rainwater or distilled water (without added sodium) when it dries out. From what i hear tap water isn't great for it

https://youtu.be/eoFGKlZMo2g

Back