labels Flavor profile on labels

So, tweaking my labels...(yet again), and what I have come up with in my mind does not leave proper room for a 'flavor' profile in the center panel of the label.

Here is a current sample of my label...

JackTheReaper_Label_2017.jpg

I have 'Pineapple & Carolina Reaper Peppers' front and center.....

I've done my list of pro's and cons, and my two big points that kept coming to me were....

1. Having the flavor profile front and center (like they are), allows for the customer to have an immediate reaction to the sauce..... Love it , look further, and purchase.....Or immediately dismiss  (maybe they dont like Pineapple, etc...)

2. Putting the flavor profile within the romance text instead, forces the customer to pay nore attention to the sauce...pick up the bottle, read the romance text and or ingredients and then make a decision.....no immediate yes or no......every sauce is almost on the same playing field...allows for more seller/customer conversation....more interaction...forces the deller to 'sell the sauce'....

i see and agree with both sides....went through my collection of sauces and see labels that have the flavor profile front and center..and plenty that don't...

what are your pro's and cons of keeping the flavor profile upfront as opposed moving it to the left?

Big believer in selling your sauce in the descriptor but keeping it short. For example you say this is a pineapple reaper sauce but that still does not convey much. It's just a listing of two ingredients. Is it sweet? Is it smoky? Did you roast anything? Fire roast? Age? Ferment? Is it tropical? Thai? Curry? Etc. But listing two ingredients unfortunately does not say a lot.

Let's take pasta sauce for example:

Ragu
Red Pepper Garlic Sauce

Boring!!!!!!!! 

Ragu
Homestyle Thick & Hearty Roasted Red Peppers & Garlic Sauce

(That is a real world example I went to Ragu.com lol)

Lucky Dog does this well.

As do most commercial BBQ sauces, think about all the different flavor profiles of BBQ. Honey, roasted garlic, etc. This needs to be on the front. :)

I'm also noticing that with a heat index of 3.5/5 and mention of throat ravaging, may not match up too well. That statement might be a little too strong and intimidating. A heat index of 3.5/5 does not connote throat ravaging in my opinion.

ClovenHoofed said:
Whatever you do, don't pull a "Dr. Bronner"s". Unless you're really into that kind of thing. Makes for some good bathroom reading though... Haha

I am a sucker for reading labels diligently: Beers, sauces, teas, etc. But, as a writing teacher told me, "Remove all unnecessary clutter. You'll only confuse (or worse: bore) your audience."

But that's their marketing angle, to look like and old medicine bottle.

If that was you angle with hot sauce it would work. Dr Something's Formula, pic of young dr. with curly moustache, what its for and all the ingredients on the front, with some magical cures like "Cures Bland Food." ;)

There's Fire Roasted Tomato sauce, Honey Garlic BBQ sauce, Sweet and Smoky hot sauce, etc. So if you can somehow manage the profile in a short amount of words on the front whilst whetting the appetite, it is beneficial, especially if you can highlight some techniques that may be unknown, like smoked, fermented, roasted, etc.

I personally feel that the flavor text draws the consumer into pick up the bottle, but I think it could you could use a better descriptor within the flavor text or romance text as you dubbed it. The Hot Pepper mentions something similar with their Ragu example.

From the way you've branded yourself, I feel as if you have pigeoned holed yourself into making sauces that are after some serious heat, so I think pushing the envelope towards words that imply a fiery sensation, or insane spiciness is the way to go.

Also from a design perspective the drop shadow on both the ingredients and description seem very unrefined. They don't add to the bottle and are an attempt to "throw the kitchen sink" as my past designer teachers have phrased it. To say it in layman terms its visual clutter.

Back