• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MikeUSMC 2018 Grow

Well, I'm about 2 weeks behind when I usually start, but I've been too damn busy lately. Once again, 'scaling back' my grow to about a dozen plants just ain't gonna happen, no matter how many times I tell myself that ;)

My 5th Season is underway, and
Here's my list for 2018:

These will be in 5 Gallon Buckets (backyard). I also plan on isolating A LOT of these plants this year.
- 7 Pot Douglah x 2
- Chocolate Scotch Bonnet x 2
- OBEAH (Genetikx)
- 7 Pot Cinder (F2?) (Bhuter)
- CGN 21500 (Bhuter)
- TFM Scotch Bonnet
- MoA Scotch Bonnet (MWCH)
- Bahamian Goat (MWCH)
- D3 Goat, Giant pheno (F4) (D3monic)
- D3 Goat, #4 (F3) (D3monic)
- D3 Goat, Peach Mild #2.5 (F3) (D3monic)
- Scotchbrains (G.I.P.)
- P. Dreadie "Select" Scotch Bonnet (Trident)
- P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet (TGCM)
- Carolina Reaper, big tail pheno (TGCM)
- Ecuadorian Red Rocoto (TGCM)

10 Gallon Containers (backyard)
- Giant Yellow Rocoto (TGCM)
- Large Red Rocoto (TGCM)

Ornamentals (front yard)
- Numex Twilight
- Numex Twilight (Overwintered Bonchi)
- Chinese 5 Color x 3

Same as every other year, I'll be using 5:1:1 mix in 5 gallon buckets. I'm still undecided whether or not I'll use CSN17 or Dyna Gro ferts yet; I've had success w/ both.

I plan on presoaking the seeds tomorrow night in a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution, then letting them hit the dirt the following day. MG Seed Starting Mix w/ additional perlite into a 72 cell tray. Same mix into Solo cups. Then, 5:1:1 in 1 gallon containers. Then, 5:1:1 into (final) 5 gallon buckets

Special thanks to everyone who contributed seeds to my grow this year!
Thanks for following, and best of luck to everyone's grow this year! :party:
:cheers:

Here's the link to my 2017 Grow, if anyone's interested:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64964-mikeusmc-2017-grow/?p=1471525

Wow, that sucks man. I also had some no-shows on some varieties I was really looking forward too. But looking at your germ rates I have nothing to complain about. Hope you can make something out of this anyway!

Good luck after the bumpy start.

What's your plan for isolation? Bagging whole plants? Individual flowers? Moving some plants to different locations?

That's going to be one of my big focuses for this year.

ako1974 said:
What's your plan for isolation? Bagging whole plants?
Yup, whole plants. This is a pic from 2015. I made a bunch of "pillow cases" out of tulle netting and Gorilla Tape, then stapled the seams. Bungeed the bottom of the net to the top of the buckets. Worked out great. I bag the whole plant so you have more options for saving a desired phenotype of a pod, vs. gambling on one branch or flower (they're only up on that board so I could get the weed whacker in there :) )
IMG_6436.JPG

D3monic said:
I got some plugs I can send you
That'd be awesome, D3. I feel horrible, letting your D3 Goat seedlings die. I had every intention on isolating those and helping with your community grow. I'm sure I could find a way to reciprocate. You're still not allergic to beer, right? ;)

Hey, Mike!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your germ rates and the loss of the remaining seedlings. I'm glad you've decided to go ahead with a grow. Great news that you'll have your sauce-making pods this year. I'm just starting, so I'm way behind, but I'm growing your cappuccino Scotch Bonnet and Justin's (WHP) Peach Scotch Bonnet this year. So if you need pods of those, I'd be happy to help...when they grow and ripen, of course. I'll be following.

-Adam

Walchit said:
BHUTER! Someone was asking where you've been on another thread, lol. I've got two cinders going
Hey, Andy!!!! Really? I was wondering why my ears were ringing. Lol. Two cinders? Excellent!!! I hope they're doing well, and the rest of your grow, too. I'm just catching up here, so I'll check your glog. Sorry, Mike, for the interruption. Lol

MikeUSMC said:
-2 Chocolate Scotch Bonnets
-2 Douglahs
-2 MoA Scotch Bonnets
(^ my main "sauce plants")
-2 Yellow Fatalii
-1 White Bhut
-1 Aji Chombo
-1 Yellow Rocoto
-1 Red Rocoto
Back from the dead, off Page 3 ;)

Got my online order from CCN yesterday, and everything is looking good! (Other than a couple of lanky plants, especially the C. Pubescens)
IMG_6580.JPG

I had to get them out of those little pots, so I transplanted them into 0.75 gallon containers. Hardening off this week, then going to transplant them into 5 gallon buckets by next weekend

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
Good to see how well your plants did in 5 gallon buckets.. just transplanted mine into buckets 5 days ago, had to mix 75 gallons of coco/perlite, what a job it was!
Thanks! Yeah, my back is killing me just thinking about it. Plus, I just got done spreading about 6 cubic yards of mulch around my house ;)
Been growing in buckets since I first started in 2014. I love the 5:1:1 mix

PtMD989 said:
Back to Game On
Devv said:
Aight, Mike's got his game on!
IMG_6596.GIF

Hey, check it out! I have a glog here! Who knew?! :shocked:
Super busy with life lately, and neglected to keep this updated. Anyway.....

Group shot
IMG_7008.JPG

Starting to get some pods
IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

I should've known something was up with this Douglah by how "light" green these pods are. I've grown Douglahs for a few years in a row now, and I don't remember their pods starting out so light. I know there's a red Douglah too, but that's NOT what I ordered from CCN. That's really gonna throw a wrench into my sauce making plans this Fall. Pods are a little darker on my second plant. I guess I'll have to wait and see
IMG_7011.JPG

Not happy at all about the pheno on these
IMG_7012.JPG

Second MoA plant looks like it "might" have some potential for good pod shape. Too early to tell though
IMG_7013.JPG

IMG_7014.JPG

Aji Chombo is the only C. Chinense plant not putting out pods yet. Was fighting aphids for a while, and it's starting to flower now

C. Pubescens doing a whole lotta nothing, as per usual, haha. Not even flowering yet. Full shade all morning, filtered shade for a couple of hours in the afternoon, then full shade again late afternoon
IMG_7015.JPG

Yellow Rocoto (that's a 54" tomato cage)
IMG_7016.JPG

Red Rocoto (can't remember if it's a "mini" or an "Ecuadorian")
IMG_7017.JPG

Numex Twilight overwintered bonchi out front, with a few volunteers popping up too. I had this in a bonchi pot inside all Winter, then put it outside this Spring. A few weeks ago, I finally got around to transplanting it into this big pot, out front. I also put a softball under the root ball (I used a baseball last year) to try to get some cool looking roots later on. I plan to keep overwintering and "bonchi-ing" this plant, at least until the bigger roots are exposed, above ground, and it can support itself like that, with a big open space underneath the main trunk
IMG_7019.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Thanks, Andy! We'll see what happens, I guess. If it comes down to it, I'd gladly pay you for a SFRB

Really sucks because that Douglah turning red just cut my Original Recipe sauce batches in half!
Grrrrrrrrrr......

Back