Hello

Hello fellow pepper peoples!

Fairly new to the hot pepper growing. This is my 2nd year with Habaneros & Jalapenos. Last year I started with about a dozen habanero plants (typically you plant 2-3 seeds in a group hoping 1 will grow). I was hoping for half a dozen plants, well all the seeds sprouted and got 2x what I was hoping for! Didn't get much out of them last year (mostly because about half the plants kept ending up with holes in the fruits, so I picked them and threw those away -- wasn't sure if a pest or a pepper disease). I only ended up with about a dozen habs and half dozen jalapenos (only had 1 plant).

I've been growing them in containers (wife & I do the bulk of our gardening in containers as the soil here is VERY sandy.....probably over 80% sand. I'll of course limit talk of plants to peppers unless directly asked) and I brought them all in for the winter. They all lived! We brought all the containers back outside late March or Early April (after the last expected sub 40 degree night) and they've been thriving. I've already got more habs on ONE plant than I had ALL of last year, and almost all my plants are producing like this! At this point, I've lost 1 plant, that stick tried to hang on but no matter what I did with that plant....I was growing a stick lol!

I've added a dozen jalapeno's to my pepper garden, can't wait to see what these ones do. I've already harvested half a dozen large jalapenos off my solo plant from last year. I tried some Hungarian Wax Peppers, but not a single seed sprouted. Just got a pack of 200 seeds from amazon from a source I know is US based and not potentially radiated in customs, so I'm gonna see if I can get some of them to do anything.....fingers crossed. 

Thank you everyone!
I've also posted a recipe I use habs for in the Hot Sauce Making section. 

Back