• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any ideas why this 7 Pot pepper leaves are so wrinkled?

Running 3 part GH Flora with Calimagic in DWC,  ph of 6 in the basement with T5 Lights. Its been like this for a couple weeks. Ironically its growing really well, its got quite a bit bigger while this is going on. The other two Scorpians next to it do not look like this and they are being fed the same nutes under the same lights.

5B568vSjNiBlbRtbb714vyFjukGcxRsLUw-ug8QVO3I.jpg

solid7 said:
What does 3-part GH Flora have?  What is the NPK numbers?
GH Flora 3 part using :

Gro has an NPK of 2-1-6. 
Micro = 5-0-1
Bloom = 0-5-4

[SIZE=14.6667px]I use this same mix on the other hots with out issue. Have noticed my 7 pot in soil is doing same thing and that doesnt even us the gh flora, just Ocean forest soil.[/SIZE]

Do you have a EC meter as those leaves could indicate that too strong fertilizer solution is being used and Gh 3 part series should have enough cal/mag to not need any extra.

Chilidude said:
Do you have a EC meter as those leaves could indicate that too strong fertilizer solution is being used and Gh 3 part series should have enough cal/mag to not need any extra.

I have a cheap TDS/EC meter, It shows 752  for the PPM and 1512 when in EC mode. I assume that is supposed to be 1.512? but there is no decimal point on the meter

have this meter here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J888J7/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=smlEJ&pf_rd_r=64QTDEE5EPXQG262JMQ4&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B075J888J7&pd_rd_w=B2GYr&pf_rd_i=Digital+TDS+Meter+%2B+PH+Meter&pd_rd_r=720b3280-a417-412d-a11f-387b39190572&ie=UTF8&qid=1528397450&sr=3

Selest said:
GH Flora 3 part using :

Gro has an NPK of 2-1-6. 
Micro = 5-0-1
Bloom = 0-5-4

[SIZE=14.6667px]I use this same mix on the other hots with out issue. Have noticed my 7 pot in soil is doing same thing and that doesnt even us the gh flora, just Ocean forest soil.[/SIZE]

What is the final NPK value, after you mix it?  Or if you don't know, how much of each do you use?

solid7 said:

What is the final NPK value, after you mix it?  Or if you don't know, how much of each do you use?

I use about 10ml of Grow, 10ml of Micro and 5 ml of Bloom. Is that like a 2:2:1 ratio? On top of that I use 6 ml of Calimagic.   it is the same that I use on a Trinidad Scorpion and its works great on that one.

This is a side note, but my personal bias is pressing heavily on me, so I have to say it...  I would seriously look into a better nutrient for what you're growing.  3 part formulas for peppers are unnecessarily expensive, tedious, and wasteful.  Regardless of what the "other" customers at the hydro shop do, there is  absolutely, positively, no need to "Veg" and "bloom" a pepper plant. (it's actually ridiculous, in my opinion)  There are great 1-part formulas that keep everything simple, and achieve the same result, with so much less hassle.  OK, I said that part, let's go on to the next...
I seem to remember somewhere in the forum, that somebody brought up this issue before.  And that it affected certain Chinense varieties, in particular.  In fact, I've seen it on my own plants.  I would first look at every single environmental variable - no matter how small or insignificant - and see if anything in your grow room is acting differently upon that plant, in particular.  Take your time, don't discount anything.  Maybe even journal it.  Not guaranteeing that you'll find something.  But I've found that strategy helpful.

I have seen this issue discussed several times. Always with Chinense.

I wonder if it is not simply genetics?

I say if the plant is otherwise healthy and growing well, let it go rather than trying to fix a non-existent problem.

alkhall said:
I say if the plant is otherwise healthy and growing well, let it go rather than trying to fix a non-existent problem.

While I completely agree with you, I do also think that sometimes we need to be reasonably assured that it's not a problem.  Not gonna lie, I'd be obsessed with knowing why, if I saw it happen again on my plants. :D

The only variety I've ever really seen it with is my P. Dreadies, but not even those looked that wrinkled and gnarled.

solid7 said:
This is a side note, but my personal bias is pressing heavily on me, so I have to say it...  I would seriously look into a better nutrient for what you're growing.  3 part formulas for peppers are unnecessarily expensive, tedious, and wasteful.  Regardless of what the "other" customers at the hydro shop do, there is  absolutely, positively, no need to "Veg" and "bloom" a pepper plant. (it's actually ridiculous, in my opinion)  There are great 1-part formulas that keep everything simple, and achieve the same result, with so much less hassle.  OK, I said that part, let's go on to the next...
I seem to remember somewhere in the forum, that somebody brought up this issue before.  And that it affected certain Chinense varieties, in particular.  In fact, I've seen it on my own plants.  I would first look at every single environmental variable - no matter how small or insignificant - and see if anything in your grow room is acting differently upon that plant, in particular.  Take your time, don't discount anything.  Maybe even journal it.  Not guaranteeing that you'll find something.  But I've found that strategy helpful.

alkhall said:
I have seen this issue discussed several times. Always with Chinense.

I wonder if it is not simply genetics?

solid7 said:

While I completely agree with you, I do also think that sometimes we need to be reasonably assured that it's not a problem.  Not gonna lie, I'd be obsessed with knowing why, if I saw it happen again on my plants. :D

I appreciate all the help! I agree with you on the 3 part series, If I had to do it over again then I would have gone a different route after reading countless posts. Really dont want to waste what I have so I a going to try to use it somehow. Going back to  the topic of genetics. Someone else outside the forum had suggested the same saying they have a similar thing happening on a habanero they are growing. That being said I also have two of the 7 pots growing in just soil, they havent even been fertilized yet. One of them you can see in the corner of the pic above. I have them potted in ocean forest soil and one of them is starting to show the exact same signs that the dwc one is, the only difference is the soil one is a few weeks behind so have a feeling when it catches up it will look the same. I guess I will just have to watch it and see what happens. This thing has grown about 3+ inches in height in the last week alone so not sure what to think.

I noticed that the MOA ScotchBonnet I grew last year has similar leaves.

But, they produced normal pods, so I was not concerned about wrinkly leaves.

Back