• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Green Garlic -- Anyone else grow garlic for this?

Of all the things I'm going to miss over the winter, I'll probably miss this most simply because it's almost impossible to find if you don't grow your own.

If you don't know what green garlic is, it is just the leaves that sprout when you plant a garlic clove. It wasn't until this year that I found out you can use the garlic leaves the same way you use chives, just snip them onto whatever you're eating. It's delicious on eggs, potatoes, and just about anything actually. The flavor is milder than the clove, and almost tastes buttery to me.

Best part is it takes no effort to grow, and if you already have plants in pots just poke some cloves in where you have a couple inches bare soil, it doesn't take much room at all, no need to start a separate pot. If you were trying to grow garlic for the clove, it would take a LONG time and its best not to do it in a pot, however if you just wish to harvest the leaves, spare room in pots is all you need :lol:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm

garlicplant2.jpg

Didn't know if I should put this in food or gardening, since this is about growing & eating lol

Never thought of the leaves and i love my chives,Nice one,Probably All Foods maybe..Mind you it is growing and food lol so many sections..Nice one anyway :lol:

Well I only use the Green Onion's leaves. they're fantastic and the actual onion isn't that much.

Omri said:
Well I only use the Green Onion's leaves. they're fantastic and the actual onion isn't that much.

Yeah, you use green garlic the same way as green onion. Garlic leaves are flat and onion leaves are round and hollow so that's how you can tell them apart.

I think I'm going to plant some in a windowsill and hope that works...I dunno if I can last until spring without it, I swear its like an addiction.

You can plant garlic cloves and they will sprout "chives" without any lights to speak of.

Just plant it in a pot!

I do this with garlic that has sat around for too long. I use tons, so I keep lots on hand.

They will grow decent chives even if you don't plant it, but the bottom gets a little mushy.

cheezydemon said:
You can plant garlic cloves and they will sprout "chives" without any lights to speak of.

Just plant it in a pot!

I do this with garlic that has sat around for too long. I use tons, so I keep lots on hand.

They will grow decent chives even if you don't plant it, but the bottom gets a little mushy.
Yeah, but Chives is a very specific type of Garlic...

Omri said:
Yeah, but Chives is a very specific type of Garlic...

Actually chives are a member of the onion family(although I think garlic is too). Chives have hollow round leaves like onions, albeit much smaller diameter. I grew chives this year too :) Chives & green garlic = awesome potatoes.

POTAWIE said:
I grow garlic chives and onion chives.
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=chives

Ever use garlic scapes? They make a great pesto.

*Just to clarify, I'm not talking about chives, I'm actually talking about baby garlic plants.*

Lol I think garlic scapes are the same thing as what I've heard called green garlic. It's just the leaves that sprout from a garlic clove, right? If so then we're on the same page and scapes/green garlic kick ass

K little google search shows we're talking almost about the same thing, apparently a "scape" is the thicker stem part of the garlic plant & the leaves are what I've been using. I just never let the leaves get tall enough to form a scape i guess lol.

Scape = round part that looks cut with the single leaf coming off.
Allium_sativum_Woodwill_1793.jpg

But pesto you say, Potawie? I must try this, I love pesto.

Do y'all know ransom or bear's garlic? (Allium ursinum) I don't know if it grows wild in America or Australia. It grows like a weed and you only use the leaves for cooking or with cream cheese. An old farmer lady gave me a few plants and it's spreading all over the yard if you don't watch out.

Armadillo said:
Do y'all know ransom or bear's garlic? (Allium ursinum) I don't know if it grows wild in America or Australia. It grows like a weed and you only use the leaves for cooking or with cream cheese. An old farmer lady gave me a few plants and it's spreading all over the yard if you don't watch out.

Cool! Some kind does grow wild here in North America, but it treated as a weed and called a wild onion.

Armadillo said:

Hmm, no we don't have that here. Sounds interesting though, how does it compare to regular garlic? We do have wild onions also called "crow garlic" that grow like weeds around here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_vineale

Damn you cheezy, beat me by a minute

Txclosetgrower said:
Hmm, no we don't have that here. Sounds interesting though, how does it compare to regular garlic? We do have wild onions also called "crow garlic" that grow like weeds around here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_vineale

Damn you cheezy, beat me by a minute

They should be related like all Allium species. Allium ursinum tastes like mild garlic. The leaves are flat and can't be cut to rings. For food with a lot of flavors blending I prefer garlic. But for mild cream soups or for cream cheese I prefer "Bärlauch". Here's the Wikipedia description, well, of course, it's the German one...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bärlauch

Back