• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Root Pruning?

my two year old reaper is in a 6 gal pot and it is now very badly pot bound. There is hardly any soil and so i have to water it constantly because it does not hold water. I also do not want to put it into a bigger pot. Should i trim the roots or is there anything better that I can do.

If you cut back the roots you also need to cut back foliage and branches because the smaller root mass won't be able to sustain a large canopy.

I would say cut some roots and trim the plant and repot it into a larger (10gal) fabric pot. Not sure why you don't want to plant it into a bigger pot but the plant will die if if gets too root bound.

I have been successful in trimming back roots (primarily on the sides) and foliage, and replanting in 3 to 5 gallon pots.  The resurgence in buds and pods was good.  This was on Red Bhuts,

Ya i would use a sharp serrated knife to carve off the outer layer maybe an inch or two. Do it like a pineapple. If you want to keep it in the same size pot indefinitely, then you will occasionally need to do root maintenance.

Back