• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My first hot sauces and some issues

Before our first freeze I grabbed all my garden peppers and decided to try my luck at making some hot sauces with them.

Ive pickle jalapenos before and watched my dad make home made jellies, so I have some basic experience with safety procedures.

I boiled my peppers, garlic, onion in water for 5-10 minutes.  I boiled my jars, lids, funnel, tools for 10 minutes.  I sanitized my blender/food processor.  I drained the water and put the peppers and other ingredients in blender with some agave nectar and vinegar and pureed my blend.  I funneled it into the jar while still super hot.  I've waited about 3 weeks now and I opened one up.  When I did it exploded and then started fizzing a whole bunch.  Obviously the mixture fermented.  My guess is, and it was an after thought that I didn't cook the agave nectar, and this likely lead to yeast getting in.

Do you think this is safe to consume?  And what should I have done better? 

Why are you boiling ingredients in water? Your recipe sounds like you are making canned vegetables.

And hell no do not consume that! Not safe, unless it was in the fridge all that time. You need to read up on proper safety and how to make sauce. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

The Hot Pepper said:
Why are you boiling ingredients in water? You recipe sounds like you are making canned vegetables.

And hell no do not consume that! Not safe, unless it was in the fridge all that time. You need to read up on proper safety and how to make sauce. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

The link you provided even talks about doing what I did.

"Gather up your ingredients and supplies, and get creative!

Blender First or Blender Last?  Either will work. T
he ingredients can be coarse chopped, cooked, and then blendered. Using a food mill on a cooked sauce will give you an even smoother sauce with no seeds or pulp. 

Blendering hot foods- if you decide to blender/food processor the sauce after cooking, be VERY CAREFUL when blendering the heated sauce. When you turn on the blender, steam is released and will explode out of the blender if you are not careful. It can hit your hands, arms and even face, causing burns. When blendering hot foods, put a clean dish cloth over the blender lid and hold the lid loosely so when the blender is started, the steam can safely escape. If using a food processor, keep the feeding chute open, cover the chute with a clean dish towel, and keep your hands clear of the chute to allow the steam to safely escape. "

How much vegetables and how much vinegar was used?

The ratio of vinegar to non-acidic ingredients is critical. If there is not enough acidity, the product will spoil. Spoiled vegetables is botulism. Botulism will cause foaming/fizzing.

Most people simmer their Chile's and vegetables in vinegar, maybe juice, maybe a bit of water if needed for consistency. Then everything is blended together to make the sauce. Boiling and draining the vegetables is not the intended procedure.

The directions don't say to boil and drain. :Lol:. Don't worry about it. It's a learning curve.

Without knowing the vinegar ratio, I would opt to pitch it. Disappointing for sure. But keep at it. Notvevery batch is a home run, I think we have all had a batch that got pitched.

I'm worried that the amount of vinegar in the sauce was enough to kill any good bacteria that would of caused a fermentation, but not enough to stop spoilage from room temp storage.

Back