• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First Attempt at Powders

Well this was my first attempt at powder making. I borrowed a dehydrator and picked up a coffee grinder from a garage sale as I wanted to keep my start up costs low in case this was a one time only deal. 

Anyways the weather has been overcast for 3 weeks and this was the first sunny day out that was in the double digits.

If I do this again I am definitely investing in a respirator. There were so many wind gusts that picked up the fine dust of my cheapie coffee grinder that it leaked out into the open air. When the wind picked up the dust it was brutal on the eyes. I needed to keep a wet washcloth on hand as my tears were burning and then burning the skin where they ran down. And yeah this was the best day in 3 weeks of rain or snow so I had to do it. 

The paprika powder is nice. It has a mild warming sensation to it. Has a peculiar smell though. 

The scorpions were awful to process. Not much smell and surprisingly not much taste. That was to be expected as I did not achieve good ripening with the early snow. Lots and lots of heat. I can't wait to try this in hamburger helper. Too bad my whole batch was less than half a bottle. Dehydrating sure shrinks the harvest. Anyways I just want to thank the pepper community for making me try new things and think about the flavours I want in my food. Thank you!

LJnj7A6.jpg

I find that dehydrating supers inside isn't all that bad. I have a 7 yr old and a 9 yr old who hate the smell but it doesn't bother them.

You can use a food processor.

Or a coffee grinder.

Get some clear garbage bags.

And cover and tape

Saran wrap ever 'thang.

Then proceed.

To whir and stir.

Make hot cocaine.

One time I even used.

A coffee filter over my nose.

Held in place by big ass rubber band.

Adapt.

Improvise.

Overcome.

i am also going to make some powders this year for the first time. i`ve been making crushed red pepper flake for a couple of years now with this dinosaur chopper that we have had like forever. 

processer.jpg

this chops dried pods down to flake but is no good for powder. i`m going to pick up a coffee/spice grinder now that my grow is done for the season. 

did you remove seeds or leave them in? 

I tried it both ways. The course chop left a lot of seeds intact which visually detracted for the mix. So once I ran the food processor I moved over to the coffee grinder. That is where the dust comes from. Course chopping on hotter stuff may the way to go next year. 

I just made some super hot blend yesterday. Man talk about suck. Stand anywhere on the main floor was a sneezing fit. Blade grinders just dont cut it if you cant stand the super dust. What ya need is a old fashion hand crank coffee grinder but you got to get it into manageable size flakes first.

Im thinking one of them Slap Chop contraptions first will get dried pods to a coarse flake first but they dont hold much.

One other method ive yet to try is a hand crank meat grinder. First you dry the pods about half way. Then run them through the meat grinder. You will end up with what looks like a pepper mash you can dry the rest of the way.

The sneezing was pretty bad here too. I would go one step further. If I do this next year, I'm backing the car out of the garage and staying inside the apron about 4ft. Then I'd set up some old saw horses for a makeshift table for a fan. It would be on a lower setting as I don't want it to blow my mix out of the container but strong enough to move any dust that is suspended in the air out the door. I want some degree of shelter next year as I can't control wind gusts. Then on top of that use a mask and gloves. I'm not sure my old safety goggles hug the face enough to provide eye protection from the dust though. Will have to experiment. 

I used a surgical mask but need something better. Outside on a calm day works. Still need to keep your face way from the grinder. I may try the hand crank meat grinder with some greeners i will throw away anyway. Ive seen it done with partially dried Aleppo and a tiny bit of salt added. Looked like an interesting experiment to make flakes.

Im pretty sure a good old style coffee grinder will work ok once its flaked. It wont be super fine but i think it will be close. Good hand crank grinders though like Zassenhaus aint cheap on Amazon. Be prepared to shell out $80-100. Good place to look for stuff like that is GoodWill.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Listings?st=coffee%20grinder&sg=&c=&s=&lp=0&hp=999999&sbn=false&spo=false&snpo=false&socs=false&sd=false&sca=false&caed=10/6/2019&cadb=7&scs=false&sis=false&col=0&p=1&ps=40&desc=false&ss=0&UseBuyerPrefs=true

Back