• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Siv's second time lucky? 2020 Glog

And so it begins:
49483430111_c990f14653_c.jpg

From left to right:
  1. Growdown Fatalii - Seed Savers Exchange
  2. Kang Starr Lemon Starburst - Pepper Donkey [new for 2020]
  3. Bahamian Goat - Pepper Donkey
  4. Sugar Rush Peach - Pepper Donkey
  5. Dorset Naga - Pepper Donkey [new for 2020]
  6. Piri Piri - All Good Things [new for 2020]
  7. Peppadew - THP seed train (I think) [new for 2020]
  8. Turbo Pube - fataliiseeds.net [new for 2020]
  9. Datil - THP Seed Train
  10. White Ghost - Pepper Donkey
  11. Purple Thunder - PaulG [new for 2020]
  12. Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion - WHP (I think) [new for 2020]
  13. Solid Gold But - saiias [new for 2020]
All the seeds look pretty good other than the piri piri which seem small and darker than expected. We'll see how it does. Overall, I think I have a good mix of heat and colour. Maybe I need to add something yellow as the growdown fatalii looks orange.

I'll put together another tray next weekend. Last year was easy as I had limited seeds, this year has been near impossible to choose what to grow as I have so many seeds thanks to the kindness of PaulG and the THP seed train.

I'm debating if I should do an Aji this year. Last year I got a ton of Aji Limo so perhaps I should try crystal, mango or pineapple - any recommendations?

Great to get started, right, Siv? People are reporting
good germination with the Purple thunder. I hope the
same for yours.

If you are looking for an Aji, I might suggest the
Aji Amarillo. To me the prototypical Peruvian Aji
pepper. Big plants with 4 to 6-inch pods. Great
sliced fresh into a sandwich or for making powders
and sauces.

Good luck as you get underway for 2020, my friend!

Hey Siv.  Great to see you underway for 2020.  I grew the  Dorset Naga for years with great results  It will be interesting to see how it does in your conditions.  It could be a big producer.  Hopefully your Piri Piri seeds are ok despite their appearance.  Do you know if that particular Piri Piri is an annuum or frutescens?

Note that Aji Limo is a Chinense, so not closely related to the Amarillo, Mango, Pineapple, and Crystal, which are all Baccatum and will have different growth habits.  I like PaulG's idea, though, of giving the Aji Amarillo a go. I think you could grow a monster one with your setup.

Thanks guys - I'll look in the seed box to see if I have Aji Amarillo. 

The piri piri is labelled as a frutescens or at least thats what the label says. I didn't buy it from Amazon but this link shows the packet: https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-All-Good-Things-Organic/dp/B00P0MT75M. Actually, I can't remember exactly where I bought it from!

I thought that Aji Limo were baccatum? Here's a flower from last year:
49484416483_97695f5d90_c.jpg

How was the Dorset Naga? I'm growing out of curiosity but I hope it tastes decent!

You're definitely right, Siv, that's a Baccatum, but it can't be an Aji Limo because they're Chinense.  Could be an Aji Limon as PaulG suggests, though it doesn't look quite right to me.  I think of Aji Limon as having more willowy branches, though I could certainly be wrong from just a glance at a picture.

That's cool that you're growing a Frutescens Piri Piri.  Crafty Fox hit me up with seeds for his Piri Piri African Devil (also a Frutescens) that I'm growing for the first time this season and I'm pretty psyched to see how it turns out.

So every day is a learning experience - I didn't know that Aji Limo and Aji Limon were different peppers! I read this thread with amusement in our shared confusion: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44681-lemon-aji-vs-aji-limon-vs-lemon-drop/

I also learned that "aji" is just the Peruvian word for pepper. I always thought it was specific to Baccatums from Peru.

I dug through the seed box and found the following:
- Aji Cito (fatalii)
- Aji Mango (pepper donkey)
- Aji Pinapple (pepper donkey)
- Aji Cristal (fatalii)

After reading about them again, I remember why I got the Cristal seeds. I'm definitely putting some of those in.

Since I feel like I'm taking too much advantage of Paul's generosity, I'll PM Harry for some amarillo seeds :)

Siv said:
Since I feel like I'm taking too much advantage of Paul's generosity, I'll PM Harry for some amarillo seeds :)

Never happen, my friend  :cool:

Half the fun of growing peppers is the sharing!

Just for future reference, my Aji amarillo seeds
are descendants from some peruvian seeds
brought back to the states by a friend.

Good luck with Harry's seeds. They sound like
a good one.

Being a relative noob - this being my second year growing anything from seed - there is a certain level of uncertainty that comes from this inexperience. I put my seeds in as I did last year but several more to a cube rather than relying on just one. I'm very happy to see some germination this morning!

49521360526_eca76ced43_c.jpg

Last year, I used a large 27 gallon tote to get them going after germination:

post-8122-0-76101800-1551889343.jpg

The problem with it is that it's huge and so heavy as to be immobile. This time I'm thinking of either using multiple smaller ones or at the very least, much shallower. Having said that, I already have it so perhaps I should just use it anyway...

A quick update - the vast majority from the first batch of peppers have spring up. The only one yet to succeed are the Solid Gold. Everything else has at least a couple if not several more.

49548449361_012715eefa_c.jpg

The second batch is mostly herbs but also in there are the Aji Amarillo which are stonking and have already shot up - great seed stock @Harry_Dangler - thank you so much!

49547947143_558490df6e_c.jpg

And finally, a quick trip to Lowes yesterday got me this 3ft long underbed storage tote. A couple cheap cans of black spray paint and I'm gonna try using this to get the seedlings moving post germination. 13 gallons instead of the 27 in the large black one I used last year.

025947710447_08812559.jpg

Time to transplant these guys into the hydro seedling contraption that I am yet to build. That'll be this weekend's job. I need to get to it as they almost dried out!

49598008787_4ab91362fe_c.jpg

And my rocotos from last year are finally ripening! Guess what's for dinner!

49598008877_361cdbfb4c_c.jpg

My tote was set up over the weekend!

49623215506_08146fb8e9_c.jpg

But I have a couple of problems to address:
1, the white lid is letting light through - I think I'll have to cover it in aluminum foil
2, there aren't enough spots! I only managed to get half the seedlings in there. I think I'm gonna set up the tote from last year outside and see how stuff gets on there.

Slow going over here. I have pretty much most of the seedlings out of their germination stations and into the larger tote with nutes. This one is inside and another outside. I should really move both outside. Had some yellowing but now everything is green and looking happy now:
49691978951_86769d2762_c.jpg

I still have some thinning to do but you can see I'm reluctant :) I also need to find my stash of hydroton and start covering up the cubes.
49692283362_82d1c42f40_c.jpg

Finally, last year's rocoto still has some green fruit - I can't believe how long these take to ripen! I'll probably harvest the ripe ones soon and freeze.
49692283972_a33b4021d6_c.jpg

Back