• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

Hawaiian mac salad varies.

Some with potatoes.

Some with tuna.

Others with neither.

The one constant is Best Foods Mayo.

Gotta gotta gotta!

Hellman's here in the mainland.

And Best Foods mayo are the same product.

Its crazy.

Tex-Mex joints get judged how good their queso is.

In Hawaii.

Its all about mac salad.

the one you posted is what you prefer? cabbage is mandatory? here Hellmans is #1 and everything else is second rate. here it isn`t right unless there is sugar and vinegar in the recipe, hence the sweet and tangy. don`t get me wrong, just a hint of sweet. 

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
the one you posted is what you prefer? cabbage is mandatory? here Hellmans is #1 and everything else is second rate. here it isn`t right unless there is sugar and vinegar in the recipe, hence the sweet and tangy. don`t get me wrong, just a hint of sweet. 

Negative.

So many variations of Hawaiian mac salad.

I don't use cabbage.

Tuna or potatoes.

Mine is cooked mac.

And then splashed with vinegar.

Hellman's.

Minced onion.

Sometimes with shredded carrots and/or peas.

Always splooged with hot sauce.

We did the TD this weekend. WOW! Definitely some epic posts.

I have some other pics to post of previous cooks. My phone camera sucks, the kindle camera isnot much better....let's try the tablet camera!

Pork loin out of the freezer. EVOO, seasoning salt, pepper, sage, oregano
Carrots and celery

Fish all the bits out and make gravy!!!!

About a cup of broth.
Mix 2 tsp flour with 1 cup water or milk. Mix well!!! No lumps.

Have the broth at a low heat, dump in the flour mix all at once and whisk well right away so no lumps cook.

Turn up the heat and while stirring away, let it come up to a simmer to cook it all.

Attachments

• 20200528_154120.jpg
    20200528_154120.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200528_174137.jpg
    20200528_174137.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200528_174736.jpg
    20200528_174736.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200528_182534.jpg
    20200528_182534.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 63
Today's lunch. Homemade deli broccoli salad with LO roast pork.
20200529_132415.jpg

I didnt buy raisins, just snitched some from the cereal bag. ;)
20200529_124107.jpg

20200529_125007.jpg

20200529_132512.jpg

Add a sprinkle of red habanero
20200529_125648.jpg

Reheat the roast and gravy...Lunch!
20200529_132552.jpg

Lamb and bacon sausage rolls.

Lamb, finely chopped onion, finely chopped bacon, crushed garlic, worcestershire sauce with puff pastry.

20200530_150443.jpg

20200530_151741.jpg

Brushed with a lightly beaten egg

20200530_152541.jpg

Into the oven at 210°c for half hour, then roll upside down for another 5 mins (or else the bottom will be soggy)

20200530_155905.jpg

Nom, nom, nom

20200530_161322.jpg

texas blues said:
That broc salad.

I could make a meal out of that.

Give it to me!

TB, it was so easy, really good and fresh, and none of the preservatives in the commercial stuff, Last little bit of it for breakfast this morning.

bob65 said:
Lamb and bacon sausage rolls.

Lamb, finely chopped onion, finely chopped bacon, crushed garlic, worcestershire sauce with puff pastry.

Nom, nom, nom

attachicon.gif
20200530_161322.jpg
Oh Wow!!!!
This just became today's dinner, except I'll probably not use lamb.

We are making our weekly shopping list, puff pastry on it.

salsalady said:

Oh Wow!!!!
This just became today's dinner, except I'll probably not use lamb.

We are making our weekly shopping list, puff pastry on it.

A tip for when you do it.

All the juices and fat from the meat will run out while it is being cooked, get rid of that half way through the cook or the puff pastry will have a soggy bottom.

I even changed the baking paper.

Thanks for the tip.  What do you think about cooking it on a baking rack? or par-cook the meat ahead?

This has been moved to sunday as I have some fresh halibut that needs to be cooked today.

Edit- 'soggy bottoms' reminds me of The Great British Baking Show where the death knell of a bake is a 'soggy bottom'  :lol:

I would also point out it is open-ended and you could pinch/fold etc. the sides. You would still get that nice log shape when you sliced it so you could make one or two long ones, sealed, and slice it into logs. Who gets the ends? Baker's treat. ;)

bob65 said:
Into the oven at 210°c for half hour, then roll upside down for another 5 mins (or else the bottom will be soggy)

I know modern digital ovens have the option of C or F, but how come the older ones never got smart like cars (Kilometer and Mile) and put BOTH on the dial???

now I gotta go google it.....:sigh:

Conversions

210C = 410F

If y'all are looking for some sports on TV... the Johnsonville Brats Amercan Cornhole Championship is on right now.

True Story....

A baking rack would do the trick.

I think if you sealed the ends then the juices wouldn't be able to run off at at all and probably turn the whole thing soggy.

The sausage roll is common in Australia as a take away food, you can buy them almost anywhere, certainly anywhere that sells meat pies will have them.

Usually beef though.

Back