• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Question about containers.

Hey had some questions about containers. I was wanting to buy nursery pots cheap but it seems they're expensive unless buying in bulk unless I can find a alternative?. I think since my grow season officially ends in September that 10 gallons is the max right? I'm wondering if I could find maybe a 8 gallon bucket? I think a homer bucket would be plenty big enough?

There is such a thing as having too large containers. For example, with long season plants if they are in an 8 gallon pot and your season ends mid-September then they probably don't ripen because there is just so much space to keep growing and growing.

Pot size could optimally be 3 gallon if you have drip irrigation or have time to water every day during the hot season. In that size pot, you shouldn't have issues with tons of green pods at end of season. Bear in mind, though - it's a lot easier for the wind to flip a 3 gallon pot than it is an 8 gallon pot but they will both be flipped repeatedly - proper staking and securing is needed in either case.

Then again, if I had a greenhouse I'd probably use 20 gallon pots.

I use 5 gallon buckets from my part time gig. They are old pickle buckets.

I have good luck going to nurseries and getting them from there. Waaaaaaayyyyyy cheaper then Home Depot or Lowes.

Make sure you clean them out especially if you get them used from a nursery. Bacterial Leaf Spot is rampant here in FL and will stay in the soil in the pots etc.

I get all my pots from supermarkets, they are the black pots they have there cut flowers delivered and displayed in. When they are empty they throw them away. I just ask them to save them for me and I collect them every few weeks, i literally have hundreds of them stacked up in the garage. They come in 2 sizes, about 12L and about 20L. They dont have holes in the bottom so I have to drill them but that's no problem.   Free is my favourite price

AZKVluL.jpg

podz said:
There is such a thing as having too large containers. For example, with long season plants if they are in an 8 gallon pot and your season ends mid-September then they probably don't ripen because there is just so much space to keep growing and growing.

Interesting Podz, I've read quite a few of your posts and this is the first I have a question about. While I've read many posts on the forum about potting up due to constricted roots I can't say I remember one about too much root room? Not asking you to "prove" this but was wondering if you had some references? I'll be looking around myself when I have a chance as you've perked my interest.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Interesting Podz, I've read quite a few of your posts and this is the first I have a question about. While I've read many posts on the forum about potting up due to constricted roots I can't say I remember one about too much root room? Not asking you to "prove" this but was wondering if you had some references? I'll be looking around myself when I have a chance as you've perked my interest.

No problem, man ;-) Not trying to be a witch doctor or anything like that. Just saying that constricting the space for root growth can also force the plant to focus on the top-end.

Restricting roots to make a fruit tree more fruitful is not a new concept :-)

podz said:
No problem, man ;-) Not trying to be a witch doctor or anything like that. Just saying that constricting the space for root growth can also force the plant to focus on the top-end.

Restricting roots to make a fruit tree more fruitful is not a new concept :-)

No No... I now realize how my post can be misconstrued! I was asking about:

podz said:
To large of a container and fruit won't ripen?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

No No... I now realize how my post can be misconstrued! I was asking about:

To large of a container and fruit won't ripen?

For shorter seasons and longer season varieties, I really think this is the case. Grow a habanero in a 3 gallon pot and get 100 ripe pods. Grow a habanero in an 8 gallon pot and get 400 green pods. Something like that, I have experienced.

podz said:

I have experienced.

I wasn't disputing your post, just never heard it before. In practical terms it makes sense......If the plant needed to expend energy on root/vegetation growth it would suffer in fruit production, just never saw the premise before. 

podz said:

Pot size could optimally be 3 gallon if you have drip irrigation or have time to water every day during the hot season. In that size pot, you shouldn't have issues with tons of green pods at end of season. Bear in mind, though - it's a lot easier for the wind to flip a 3 gallon pot than it is an 8 gallon pot but they will both be flipped repeatedly - proper staking and securing is needed in either case.

Then again, if I had a greenhouse I'd probably use 20 gallon pots.
What about using a 6 gallon nursery pot? Would I have ripe pods before September? I'll be using a brick for the bottom.

I’ve used 5 gallon the most, they’ve worked for me in California, Washington, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Doubt you will have any issues with them in NC. I also like 5 because growing medium costs me more than containers. Have used 4 and 4 1/2 gallon buckets from work sometimes, had a few 6 a few seasons ago, but prefer 5.

Codeman said:
What about using a 6 gallon nursery pot? Would I have ripe pods before September? I'll be using a brick for the bottom.

That is actually a great idea. Put a brick in the bottom of a pot.

Although, the wind that goes across my back deck is sometimes incredibly powerful. My large sun umbrella has a base that weighs 50kg (110 lbs) and once it got flipped by the wind when the umbrella was down. That shit happened.

IMG_2138.jpeg

Great timing!  I was just starting to research growing peppers again, as I've really struggled trying to grow them in containers on my porch compared to the garden we used to have.

Are there any thoughts on cloth pots?  I had originally used some larger pots (probably 6-8 gallon or so), but I ran into issue with my peppers apparently getting hot during the summer months and wilting frequently.  So, I had to water often to help keep the roots cool.  I switched to cloth pots to see if giving the roots more air would help keep them cool, and this seemed to help a little bit, as I could use evaporative cooling all the way around the pot as I watered them on the top and sides.  But, I still struggled with peppers eventually getting yellow leaves that fell off, pods that would get these odd blisters, and a lack of fruit.  Something was stressing these plants, and I have no idea what it is.  So, I'm starting with the pots..

I rambled a bunch there... my apologies!

So, the questions:  Cloth pots vs plastic pots?  Is watering frequently in either pot to help cool the roots good or bad?  Should I take them out of direct sun during the summer months to water them less?

Back