• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Various Baccatums wilting in direct sun

Hi all I think most of these are baccatum and a few are aji they don’t seem to take direct sun very well at all. Sugar rush, aji Colorado, Charapita and star fish pretty much within an hour or two in 75 to 80ish temps they just start to wilt. If I were to leave the younger 2 month old plants out I’m sure they wouldn’t survive. The larger ones maybe a few hours of morning sun but that’s it, Any suggestions on how to grow them they are for the most part healthy 

thanks  all 

have the plants been hardened off? have they been outside for a long time or just put out? pepper plants do wilt on very hot days in direct midday sun. young plants that are just planted or just put out isn't good. more info is needed to give you an answer.

Thanks for the reply, they’ve been hardened  off by bring put out during daytime and moved inside when sun went down, they are give it take three months old. All in containers black plastic or white outside grow bags 7 gallon

if they have been outside for a while and are used to full sunlight then they should be ok. pepper plants do wilt on very hot days. i`m in the northeast and my plants usually wilt at 90 degrees and above. they bounce back when the sun goes down a bit. mine are also in containers and when it gets 90+ sometimes i have to water morning and evening when its that hot.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
if they have been outside for a while and are used to full sunlight then they should be ok. pepper plants do wilt on very hot days. i`m in the northeast and my plants usually wilt at 90 degrees and above. they bounce back when the sun goes down a bit. mine are also in containers and when it gets 90+ sometimes i have to water morning and evening when its that hot.

Most plants suffer from transpiration when temperature is high and sunlight direct......

rNtJZiN.jpg

Shading plant will help.... Proper root condition in aerated medium also important. 

Laheat said:
Hi all I think most of these are baccatum and a few are aji they don’t seem to take direct sun very well at all. Sugar rush, aji Colorado, Charapita and star fish pretty much within an hour or two in 75 to 80ish temps they just start to wilt. If I were to leave the younger 2 month old plants out I’m sure they wouldn’t survive. The larger ones maybe a few hours of morning sun but that’s it, Any suggestions on how to grow them they are for the most part healthy 

thanks  all 
Baccatum in general don't do really good in summer sun down here, but really good under shade cloth or shade filter, if you can keep the bugs off.  From about now till end of summer. Angle of the sun..? Less pollutants in the air to filter out uv..? IDK, but its been hot, uv been high, probably similar there

I'd imagine my SRP, lemos, aji,  will soon need my sun filter. All my chinense wont.

slewis said:

Is that 50% cloth you're using? I'm in SW Florida, and am probably going to have to do something similar.
30%. It works very well. No problems with in-ground plants wilting but I did have to put extra shade over a few young plants last year that were suffering from pythium.

My potted mama pepper plants will sometimes wilt mid-day but they only get about 8 hours of direct radiation.

The garden plants get zero shade except for the cloth. I proved to myself last year the peppers and tomatoes do much better in the shade.

I'm near the coast by P'cola just inside the alabammy line.

Back