• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My New Cold Frame!

Just got my cold frame yesterday. Its 8ft long. I cant wait to try it out. Never used one before so I guess this will be a trial and hopefully not too many errors learning experience. I am hoping that I can start putting seedlings in it sometime in March
I have it sitting where it will get a good Southern Sun early this Spring
ekm6c5.jpg

An inside shot
v3px03.jpg

I just now started a pot with lettuce seeds but it will be primarily used for maters, cabbage, brocoli and of course some peppers. Not sure how many I will put in it as I dont know how many it wil hold. This will be a learning curve for me LOL

looks good Brian...I may have to build one of those next month...will be interesting to see what temperatures it will hold...wonder if there is something you could put inside that would collect heat in the day and slowly release it at night (like milk jugs painted black & full of water)

Nice, but a couple of questions. Why no glass walls, at least on the front? Are you planning in either insulating the sides or painting them?

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas since I've got to build one to hold at least 48 11x22" nursery trays.

Mike

AlabamaJack said:
looks good Brian...I may have to build one of those next month...will be interesting to see what temperatures it will hold...wonder if there is something you could put inside that would collect heat in the day and slowly release it at night (like milk jugs painted black & full of water)
AJ, I was wondering the same thing myself. I never had one before so you can be sure that I will be conducting some experiments. I plan to set a thermometer in it so I can monitor the temps

wordwiz said:
Nice, but a couple of questions. Why no glass walls, at least on the front? Are you planning in either insulating the sides or painting them?
I wont be putting more "delicate" plants in them until mid to late March when the coldest of the cold weather will be in the past. I wont insulate it, just use it as it is, This is how most cold frames are made.

AlabamaJack said:

I use cheap black buckets I got at the dollar store in the cold frame, and last year I spray painted 2 liter soda bottles black and lined them up along the edge of the hoop house and one of the cold frames. The soda bottles are tall and skinny, and might work well in a narrow cold frame.

Back