The Pizza Stone? and why should we have one?

My folks used to have a pizza stone years ago before they threw it out and purchased one of those Pizzio's Pizza makers, The reason we threw ours away because it never did anything but take up room in the oven, Who knows we could have been using it wrong all that time.

Ok if I buy a nice one, How do you use it? And should I buy an expensive one? I will be using it a LOT since I bake a pie at least once or twice a week!

It somewhat mimics a brick oven (bricks retain high even heat).

Maybe it was a cheap one. I'm more of a DIY guy, I'd experiment with stone tiles or actual bricks, making sure they were untreated (food safe) first.

thehotpepper.com said:
Maybe it was a cheap one. I'm more of a DIY guy, I'd experiment with stone tiles or actual bricks, making sure they were untreated (food safe) first.
Not me, I've tried being a DIY guy once or twice and I ended up being a real Tim Allen, and they never really turned out they were supposed too, I mean anything I've ever done diy wise.

A place by me has an 800 degree coal oven that cooks a pizza in three minutes. The best! Slightly charred crust Margherita pizza.

thehotpepper.com said:
A place by me has an 800 degree coal oven that cooks a pizza in three minutes. The best! Slightly charred crust Margherita pizza.
That sounds freaking awesome! That's the best kind of pizza with a charred crust "not burned"

QuadShotz said:
Here's a good article on them, and how ya can save a lot of money using unglazed quarry tiles instead of a fancy stone.

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/bakingstones.html
Thanks Quad, I'm checking the site now and now I got to turn in for the evening the carpet guy is coming over to replace my carpet in the closet, The reason they have to do this because the people before me who had this apartment let their cat piss in the close with a kitty litter box.

I bought 2 different pizza stones, 1 broke the first time I used it but the other one I've never had a problem with in several years. I plan on purchasing one for my bbq and smoker this year too.

Pizza stones are very good for adding extra flavor to your pizza. By cooking directly on the stone time and time again the flavors will soak into the stone and build over time.

I have one and I like it a lot when I can get the damn pizza on it correctly -- works great for calzones and breads as well

LUCKYDOG said:
I have one and I like it a lot when I can get the damn pizza on it correctly -- works great for calzones and breads as well

if you make your pizza on a pizza board (pizza peel) dust the top of the board with cornmeal first, put your dough on and toppings. when you go to slide it off the cornmeal helps give lots of slip and helps the pizza to slide right off. (in theory)

i also have a stone and like it. get one if you don't have one. but if you store it in the oven make sure to remember to remove it before you use the broiler - otherwise the stone turns jet black and is ruined. (yeah speaking from experience).

biggest thing u have to remember even with a cheap on is that you have to heat them up properly... if you dont then you might as well be cooking on a regular pizza pan

BamsBBQ said:
biggest thing u have to remember even with a cheap on is that you have to heat them up properly... if you dont then you might as well be cooking on a regular pizza pan
I think I actually know what you mean.

Back