• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Gonna sow some lettuce tomorrow

It's about time. The weather got above freezing today and is suppose to be bright and warmer tomorrow. Raked the ground very lighting this evening and will do that a couple of times tomorrow to get it dried out a bit. It's only a 4x6' spot but that's enough for a couple dozen heads.

Mike

I did it, but it wasn't easy! It's been very windy and that's not conducive to sowing tiny seeds. Ended up drilling holes in the top of a Bell Jar lid, sort of turning it into a pepper shaker, or in this case a lettuce seeker. That allowed me to get just an inch or so off the ground to distribute the seeds.

Next problem - the ground underneath is still very moist. I loosened up the top inch or so but didn't want to walk on it and I don't have six-foot arms. So I put a board across the bed and knelt on it.

Probably looked very strange - some 55 year old guy, kneeling on a 4x4, holding a Bell jar upside down and shaking it over some dirt.

Mike

Pam said:
Sounds normal to me!

Pamela,

That's because you've been hanging out in the forum for too long. Admit it - we consider Iggy just off the normal line! Though I do wish I could make his party. Sounds like one great time.

Mike

I have had lettuce growing a month or 2 under a cold frame. Not sure where you are located but if the ground is too cold and damp germination can be minimal.

Brian,

Cincinnati. IME, a couple two or three seeds will germinate in a week or so, then others will follow. That's fine by me - I can only eat so much lettuce at a time! It's suppose to be in the mid 60s to low 70s for the next couple of days - that will help in germination. But if I can get a head of lettuce by May Day, I'll be happy!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Brian,

Cincinnati. IME, a couple two or three seeds will germinate in a week or so, then others will follow. That's fine by me - I can only eat so much lettuce at a time! It's suppose to be in the mid 60s to low 70s for the next couple of days - that will help in germination. But if I can get a head of lettuce by May Day, I'll be happy!

May Day is when we start losing the lettuce to the heat. Every week the heat stays low enough not to make it bitter is a gift. I only plant leaf lettuces so I can eat along all spring. Mine should have been out in the cold frame a couple of weeks ago, but this goofy weather made me nervous about putting it out. Put it out today, though!

Pam,

Not if you cover it with an old sheet or tobacco canvas. I ate lettuce all summer long and for a few days it was above the special triple digit number.

My choice is Back Seeded Simpson. We sowed it, outside and not in a cold frame in February and had lettuce to eat for a few months.

Mike

Covering it with a sheet is like putting out a smorgasbord sign for slugs. It's will be in triple digits here for a week at a time, and honestly, the lettuce all bolts after a certain point. It's bitter before that, though.

Pamela,

I don't know what you are growing but it ain't the same lettuce I've ate since I was knee-high to a beagle. Maybe slugs like you - we never had to deal with them, though cutworms were a PITA if we didn't use Aldrin (sp?) in our fertilizer.

And FWIW, I had lettuce that was well past 150 days old and never bolted. When you show up to steal some of my tomatoes and other plants, I'll help you trim some lettuce. And if you bring your cat, I may have a treat for it.

Mike

This is the Great Mildew State, it's slug heaven. I don't have any trouble with cut worms to speak of, but slugs? Yeah.

As to types, I try and get slo-bolt types, but when the real heat hits in June, it all bolts. I grow dill an cilantro in the spring and fall as well fr that reason.

Much to my delight, it appears a few seeds have sprouted despite low temps in the low 20s the past couple of nights with highs only in the upper 30s.

Mike

Cheezy,

You should be having some good weather this weekend - it's suppose to get nice enough that I can set some toms out and start hardening them off. The timing may be perfect. I should have a few ripe tomatoes by Derby Day and though the official sandwich is not BLTs, I could have one by then using home grown veggies!

Mike

Back