I have seen so many awesome corn breads on here over the years but couldn't find a dedicated thread so hopefully we can build it up.
I did a riff on the following Smokenfire chipotle adobo cornbread recipe.
"Chipotle Cheddar Cornbread:
2 cups cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 can chipotle chiles in adobo
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
6 tbsp butter, melted - plus 1 tbsp to grease the pan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a cast iron skillet or other pan. In a large bowl mix the corn meal, sugar and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In another bowl whisk the buttermilk with the egg until well incorporated.
3. Spoon the chipotles and all the adobo you can get out of the can into a small bowl and chop em up fine (I use scissors!).
4. Stir the buttermilk and egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture. Then add the melted butter and shredded cheese and stir well.
5. Pour mixture into the pan. Add the chipotles and adobo at this point, then drag a spoon through the batter and make super cool swirly visuals. Friends think that shit is gourmet.
6. Bake for ~ 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about a half hour, then cut into wedges. Serve with honey or butter as requested, or crumble into chili and maow."
Jalapeno Asiago buttermilk White Cornbread
almost a straight up doubling of SnF's recipe with a tweak on method and ingredients.
4 cups white cornmeal ( I used Indian Head)
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp s
4 oz shredded Asiago
2 cup buttermilk
2 large egg
12 tbsp butter, melted - plus 1 tbsp and 1 tbsp grapeseed oil. to grease the pan
4 small to medium sized fresh japlepeno minced.
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a large cast iron skillet or other pan.
2 In a large bowl mix the corn meal, sugar and baking powder. Set aside.
3 In another bowl whisk the egg and whisk in melted butter, whisk in the butter milk and then stir the cheese and minced jalapeno
4 pour wet mix on top of dried ingredients and stir with a spatula until fully combined.
5 Add melted butter and grapeseed oil to hot pan, Pour mixture into the pan
6 Bake for ~ 25 or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about a half hour