Jump to content

  •  

SmokenFire

Member Since 06 Jan 2013
Offline Last Active Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Topics I've Started

Smoking Ribs Thread For All

02 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

I dug through but did not find a ribs only thread and started this one to serve as a general repository of all things bbq ribs - kinda like the burger or taco threads in Cooking With Fire.  For my first contribution here I humbly submit two racks of baby backs that my wife cooked entirely by herself.  She's watched me and eaten the practice runs from our competition team, so she knows her way around all manner of smoked meats.  These turned out better than good, even though I prefer spares.  About 60% of me is swole up with pride, and the other 40% is more than a bit jealous lol. 

 

Here they are just off the smoker:

 

dmr78g.jpg

 

Nice cut from the middle:

 

rwtdmt.jpg

 

Sauced and ready for the party:

 

157yg5h.jpg

 

We did these with cherry and a bit of pecan wood, seasoned with my DruBQ rub & a little bit of smoked serrano powder for good measure.  :)

 


Sambal Oelek - First Attempt

01 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Was reading about Sambal Oelek around here awhile back so I decided to make some.

 

Here are the ingredients:

 

j91ufc.jpg

 

That's 3 stalks of lemongrass, some super thai, ginger, garlic, several orchid pi, 1 ripe jala, 2 milah helow, 1 not scorpion, 1 aji verde, some carmen sweets, 4 fresnos and 3 unknown to me peppers (start black/purplish and ripen red, hot).

 

Here is everything getting happy in the processor:

 

w20fub.jpg

 

I ended up adding 1 tbsp turbinado sugar, 5 tbsp cider vinegar and 1 tsp salt.  Turned it all out into a small sauce pan and brought it up to a simmer over med/high heat.  Covered and let simmer for 5 mins, then spooned it out into jars.

 

sdln46.jpg

 

Made this 3 days ago, going to open up a jar tonight to serve with drunken noodles and some tiger cry.  Excited to see how it tastes.  :)


Biggest Tomato of the Season

10 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

This monster is a suduth strain brandywine!

 

8vx6xi.jpg


Darth Charcoal

07 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

I would love to cook on this.

 

This-Darth-Vader-Grill-Is-The-Ultimate-C


WTB your extra white pods

28 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

All five of my white podded plants were blown down/destroyed in the course of a couple bad storms this year.  As a result I don't have enough white pods to make one of my favorite sauces.  Please PM me with varieties/amounts you're willing to part with and we'll work out terms.  :)

 

Thanks,

 

SnF