• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

1000w MH / HPS

Can anyone recommend an approx height above a pepper plant that a 1000w hid should be kept? It will be fan cooled - planning to run some 6" duct at least 5 feet from the growing area and use an inline fan.

You don't want to feel heat from the light when you put your hand over the plants. I've found you have to keep moving it up as the plant grows for the best lighting. Try starting at 6".

I only use a HID when my plants are pretty small so I run my reflector at least 3 feet from of my seedlings. I have found they get plenty of light with a HID and at that height I get the most coverage about 3 feet square enough for 90 plants. Mine is only a 400 watt so you could run your 1000 watt higher and get more coverage. Use mylar around your plants helps keep the light in. When your plants get bigger use the back of your hand and if it feel hot at the top of your plants it's too close.

haha 1000k puts out alotta heat!
I have one I dont run in the summer
I have to run my ac in a 1800sqft house at 71-72 just to keep temps around the light under 90. with 6" exhaust. 452 cfm inline fan sealed hood.
Start it atleast 2ft from the plants and move it down as they get used to it.
Hold your hand just above your plants for 1min if you feel it gettin hot it maybe to hot for the plants.

What type of hood and fan are you using?

When I ran my 1000 watt HPS I had it about 20" above the plant when using an open hydrofarm hood and a 6" 450 cfm fan. However when I got rid of that hood and replaced it with a fully sealed cool tube I could get it as close as 6" without feeling any heat. I did raise it up 2 12" to get better coverage, but just goes to show how good cool tubes are in comparison to regular hoods.

What type of hood and fan are you using?

When I ran my 1000 watt HPS I had it about 20" above the plant when using an open hydrofarm hood and a 6" 450 cfm fan. However when I got rid of that hood and replaced it with a fully sealed cool tube I could get it as close as 6" without feeling any heat. I did raise it up 2 12" to get better coverage, but just goes to show how good cool tubes are in comparison to regular hoods.

It's a sunlight supply hood with a glass cover. I can't recall off the top of my head if the glass forms a good seal or not, but I suspect that is a relatively easy fix if it does not. It has the 6" duct flange and I was planning on venting that near an a/c return vent to begin with. That idea may need to evolve some as I go along.

I have it set up in a guest bedroom and, fortunately, I don't entertain too many overnight guests. Still, I'm hesitant to go through the trouble of creating a reflective box. I would think 1000w would easily provide enough direct light for a couple of pepper plants and several tropical sundews without using an enclosed reflective box.

Thank you for the responses.

Ok I think I know what hood you have. I used to have the same ones. You should be fine with around 15-20" above the plants. Your really don't need a box, but what I did was put my in an open closet and just tapped reflective material to the walls and floor. Then put a small circulating fan in front of the plants to draw air in as the inline fan and duct removed air from the hood to an open window. Didn't look great but those plants had an insane amount of growth.

Back