• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning 16 site EZ-Cloner...

I just did a complete water change in the rez and sterilized it. 18 days on this rez before changing.

I filled it back up with 3 gallons on RO water, 10ml of CalMag Plus, 20ml of ProSilicate, & 18ml of Clear-Rez.
I pH'd the water at 5.5. I pulled out 2 bad tomato cuttings. I will replace them tomarrow.
I put this on my same flood & ebb timer. 2min on 5 min off. I also added a micro pore air stone that runs 24x7.
Will see how these cuttings mature, & new tomato cuttings do.

Now it is McGuiver time. Time to start tweaking my process.

Roses cuttings came out very well.

Your cuttings will think they`ve checked into the Ritz ;)  
Mine just get plain old tapwater, no ph adjustment or additives.

Tank said:
Your cuttings will think they`ve checked into the Ritz ;)  
Mine just get plain old tapwater, no ph adjustment or additives.
I spoil my plants. 5 star accommodations...

Here is my rez cleaned out, refilled, and micro pore air stone inserted.
Blue silicone tubing is for air stone.

I just went outside and harvested some cuttings.

1 - Arizona Rose hybrid cutting

1 - Trinidad Moruga Scorpion cutting

4 - Cherry Tomato cuttings

I hope to see how these do. This TMS is one I planted last year and harvested peppers from.
The Arizona Rose is a full size rose plant.
The cherry tomatoes are are my favorite tomatoes.

I pulled out two more of the old cherry tomato cuttings. They had roots, but the stem was a limp as overcooked pasta. They acted as if they were water logged or bacterial wilt.

ohmatic said:
so what you are saying is, they clone just fine ?
They clone just fine with stable weather. It was 80 deg F last week with 30 % humidity.

Yesterday it was 106 deg F with 4 % humidity. I will have to pull some cuttings that I don't think made it thru the night.

We also have some bad fires south of us in San Diego county.

They call these winds the Santa Ana winds or Devil winds.

Incredible results the last 24 hours...

24 hours before.

Now. Long white roots on tomato plant.

Pulled out all my Sweet Basil out of the cloner.

Placed it in a bath, then soil.

Had to make room for 8 more rose cuttings.

4 yellow rose cuttings, 2 light purple rose cuttings, and 2 purple rose cuttings.

Can't wait.

I did add liquid humic acid and some coconut sweetener to the mix.

Can't see from your angle, but a key to keeping the res cool is getting it off the ground.
(Little plastic dollar store table works a treat.)
Small cheap oscillating fan and bob's yer uncle.

Gotrox said:
Can't see from your angle, but a key to keeping the res cool is getting it off the ground.
(Little plastic dollar store table works a treat.)
Small cheap oscillating fan and bob's yer uncle.
I do try to keep it cool. Mine is about 2 feet off the ground on a shelf. I put a timer on it keep the pump from heating up. 1 min on, 4 min off. The airstone seems to be helping too.

Here are the results from the last 24 hours...

Pic from 24 hours ago.

Pic from tonight. You can see the growth on the long white roots.

I do have a fan generally blowing over them. I am keeping the humidity up around 40% when I have the cloner going.
These of course are my tomatoe cutting roots.

I may modify mine a bit, depending on results, and replace the internal with an external pump.
They aren't that expensive.

We shall see.

Gotrox said:
I may modify mine a bit, depending on results, and replace the internal with an external pump.
They aren't that expensive.

We shall see.
That would help to keep the water from getting warm. My timer is doing a good job at keeping water cool. An airstone was a must at only 1 in 5 minutes being on. Good luck with yours.

Back