• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

yield 2.5 gallon 1000 series vs 5 gallon 2000 series planters yield?

I started growing peppers this year, haven't grown my own from seed / experimenting now.

I'm in Maine, and come the colder season I'm going to try to grow inside to get the peppers to flower/ produce pods.
I know I will have to hand pollinate or q-tip, or put a fan, I'm ok with that.

My worry is my bigger bought peppers are in 2.5 gallon 1000 series nursery containers.
Everyone has told me that I should have 5 gallon, the 2000 series nursery containers, but I want to bring these inside later
and don't want them getting to tall to fit in my basement.

How much yield difference on a bhut jolokia, 7-pot, or Trinidad scorpion should I see on a 2.5 gal vs 5.0 gal container? (ESTIMATED OF COURSE, I KNOW CONDITIONS WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE)

I JUST DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE CHANCE OF DOUBLING YIELD WITH BIGGER POTS.

Keep in mind that nursery pots are listed as higher volume than they really are. 2000 series pots are actually 3.8 gallons, not 5, and the 1000 series are actually 2.3 gallons. 2.3 gallons is very small for chiles, especially for chinenses, and even more so for superhots. Bhut jolokia, 7 Pod, and Trinidad Scorpion are all very large plants and generally get to a large size before fruiting. Mine were all about 3 feet tall before they really started setting pods. Part of that is probably because nighttime temps were a little low early on, but part of it is just because they're large plants. Trinidad Scorpions and 7 Pods especially need a lot of room imo, they grow really tall, thick main stems with huge leaves.

I think the yield would be much, much smaller in the 1000 series vs. 2000. Probably less than half if I had to guess. All my superhots are in 6.15 gallon pots though, so maybe others who have grown them in smaller pots can chime in. I think the 2000 series should be considered a minimum for these varieties.

edit: If the plants get too tall for your inside area just top them and keep them bushy.

Keep in mind that nursery pots are listed as higher volume than they really are. 2000 series pots are actually 3.8 gallons, not 5, and the 1000 series are actually 2.3 gallons. 2.3 gallons is very small for chiles, especially for chinenses, and even more so for superhots. Bhut jolokia, 7 Pod, and Trinidad Scorpion are all very large plants and generally get to a large size before fruiting. Mine were all about 3 feet tall before they really started setting pods. Part of that is probably because nighttime temps were a little low early on, but part of it is just because they're large plants. Trinidad Scorpions and 7 Pods especially need a lot of room imo, they grow really tall, thick main stems with huge leaves.

I think the yield would be much, much smaller in the 1000 series vs. 2000. Probably less than half if I had to guess. All my superhots are in 6.15 gallon pots though, so maybe others who have grown them in smaller pots can chime in. I think the 2000 series should be considered a minimum for these varieties.

edit: If the plants get too tall for your inside area just top them and keep them bushy.

thanks a ton.. I will put the big boys (hot ones..) into the 2000 series pots. I gave them a dose of epsom salts / water yesterday to see what would happen.

I went a little loose on what I used for a growing medium, I threw in some peat, and the got leggy? I think is the term... the stems got a ton more roots, and seemed like they took to the new soil good but yellowed a bit...... just trying to find out if its underwater or over water... there out in the 90 degrees outside here in Maine. I hope they green up, and get some size to them.

If I chop the plant, I should be able to root the cuttings of it? and grow from that right? do I go right to the stem and cut all leaves...? I'm really interested in taking cuttings from a stronger plant I have to try to make some clones of those to get better yields in years to come.

thanks a ton.. I will put the big boys (hot ones..) into the 2000 series pots. I gave them a dose of epsom salts / water yesterday to see what would happen.

I went a little loose on what I used for a growing medium, I threw in some peat, and the got leggy? I think is the term... the stems got a ton more roots, and seemed like they took to the new soil good but yellowed a bit...... just trying to find out if its underwater or over water... there out in the 90 degrees outside here in Maine. I hope they green up, and get some size to them.

If I chop the plant, I should be able to root the cuttings of it? and grow from that right? do I go right to the stem and cut all leaves...? I'm really interested in taking cuttings from a stronger plant I have to try to make some clones of those to get better yields in years to come.

Yeah you can take cutting from peppers, they are a little harder to root than some plants, but not too difficult. I had the top torn off of a Bonda Ma Jaques so I made a ~1 inch diagonal cut at the base, stripped off a few leaves, stuck it in a glass of water and put it in front of a window for a couple weeks. It wasn't wilting and looked like it had some roots starting where the cut was so I put it in a 3.25" pot with some potting mix and it grew just fine. I never used a humidity dome or anything to help increase humidity it rooted, but something to increase the humidity should certainly help. That's my only experience with rooting chiles, Guru uses a lot of cuttings and has a good guide on how to do it with pictures here: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21940-gurus-18-acre-fabriculture-5-yr-mothers/ It's near the bottom of the first page.

Post some pictures of the plants with the yellow and we can try to see what the problem is. :D What all is in your growing medium?

edit: Forgot to mention that I also added a drop of super thrive to the water when I made the cutting. Whether or not that helped, I don't know.

Back