• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2 nights below 40...then a month above...

I have a quandary...

I have 8 or so large super hot plants with a TON of green pods on them...

Starting friday afternoon/night its supposed to get down into the mid 30's at night, then warm back up and not see below 40 at night for almost a month(according to the long range forecasts) which is about typical for Dallas to be able to grow until late November.

I know 40 degrees is the magic number.

All of these plants are in 1 raised bed with 4x4 upright corners.  Im contemplating getting some clear plastic and basically wrapping and building a temporary green house for the next few days and throwing in my small electric heater I have from my bathroom to keep the temps up above 40.

Anybody got thoughts on doing this or you all think my plants will be fine for 2 nights below 40, but above 32?

I am planning to cut these plants back and overwinter them, but would obviously like to get another month out of them if I can.

I pulled all my plants today except for my 4x8 raised bed which are Scorpion peppers.  I have a popup greenhouse I purchased at Tractor supply its a 6'x10' so it just plops right over bed.  At night I am running a Oil filled heater for just a few more weeks then season is done. 

So basically same thing you are suggesting, I did the same thing last year and it work out fine.   I had my last harvest the 3rd week of November.

cheers

You can always just toss a regular tarp over them on the really cold nights. Helps a lot, it's what I do. big stake next to the plant and toss it on top so it looks like a teepee. Helps keep the plant a little warmer and the cold breeze off of it. 

Its not so easy as to just toss a tarp over it.  The shit is out of control...

I will basically start at the bottom bend everything up using thick clear plastic.  Its just going to be temporary for 2 nights really.

Chewi said:
Man, its gonna be 31 in Weatherford! You are lucky. You can do Christmas lights also.

really?  I just checked accuweather and they say 31 for you... Weird.

Im ~20 miles south of downtown Dallas and forecast between the 2 nights is a low of 35.  About 6 hours each night below 40.

Yeah man, I'm going to pick everything tomorrow and maybe bring one in to keep and let the others do whatever nature does.

if you need anything I got a boat load of jays peach, chocolate borg 9's and BOC's.... my reapers havent done as much as I had hoped this year.

Chewi, how cold did we get ? Did a hoop house on my raised beds ,guess I should have used a heater got back from the lake yesterday to a epic fail . I think the hab's that were not covered did better .

I have some freeze damage on some leaves on the plants on the north side.  I think they got chilled a bit more due to the wind.  I had a few bed sheets I covered everything with.  Seems to have made it out ok.

I saw 32 degrees, at least on the weather app on my phone.

rjacobs said:
if you need anything I got a boat load of jays peach, chocolate borg 9's and BOC's.... my reapers havent done as much as I had hoped this year.
Thanks man, I actually got a good harvest this week so I'm fortunate!

trlrman said:
Chewi, how cold did we get ? Did a hoop house on my raised beds ,guess I should have used a heater got back from the lake yesterday to a epic fail . I think the hab's that were not covered did better .
I am sure we got to freezing for a few hours. Shorter than predicted. I lost a few but the ones I moved up to the porch look to have survived. Saturday night I don't think it actually got to 32 and was already 40 by the time I got up.

Back