• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2 of } F20T12 fluorescent grow light bulb 3000K 20w 24"

I found these on ebay, but I don't know if it is a good price and/or bulb. I used cool white bulbs years ago growing other things but for the peppers I am trying to get better.

Ebay

Any input would be great.

Is it for the flower stage? Or are them for both grow and flower? you need some 5000-6500K for growing. But for flowering stage they are good choice.
But it will work with 2500-2700K as well but wont be optimal.

Edit: i got a 2700K CFL 200w that i use for my seedlings (waiting for my 6500K) And it works. But the ones under the 6500K tube grow alot faster.

So if you plan on just give the season a head start and you wont be growing indoors hole season. Then try get some 6500K.

Just got up and checked the box from the ones I have turns out they are 3100k and 750 lumens. So I am just going to get a couple more of them I guess. But can anyone tell me what the K in 3100K is/stands for?

orrevs where did you get/order your 6500K bulb from?

Dont forget Wal Mart and/or Lowe's. I get mine from Wally World.
Next year I am gonna try led's. They seem to be a LOT better.

Just got up and checked the box from the ones I have turns out they are 3100k and 750 lumens. So I am just going to get a couple more of them I guess. But can anyone tell me what the K in 3100K is/stands for?

orrevs where did you get/order your 6500K bulb from?

I live in sweden so we dont have the same shops. I Went to a warehouse and bought 2x T8 bulb total $8 ;)
And the K = Kalvin which is the spectrum the light is in. Red spectrum is good for flowering and i "think" blue is for growing. (no time to check it up atm) But there is alot of threads about this in the forum.

So you can get them cheap from warehouses dont have to be expensive to be good.

//Oscar

K stands for Kelvin. Type Kelvin Light Scale into google images and it will show you the colour temperature scale

That is a very pricey for those lights. If you want to go with those, check out an electrical wholesaler and just pay cash for them.

Those are an oddball light and used to be used in valence lighting, and because they are oddball, there are not the extensive production runs as there are with the four foot tubes, which tends to drive up the prices for the oddball bulbs.

T12 tubes are not a very efficient light either, with T8 and T5 fluorescent tubes being better options.

'K 'stands for Kelvin, and it is supposed to be representative of a theoretical metal being heated to those Kelvin degree temps, and with the higher the Kelvin temperatures, more blue light should appear in the lighting spectrum.

2700K is a warm white, 4100K is a cool white, 5000K is sometimes called full spectrum (it isn't) and 6500K is called daylight (1:00 pm outside).

dvg

That's an oddball size and too much money to me. I picked up two 48" Phillips Daylight Deluxe bulbs at HomeDepot for under $10 CAD. These are full spectrum and do the job quite nicely for when you want to start seedlings indoors. Certainly not a metal halide, but they're also only a fraction of the cost for the setup and energy consumption.

I am using the GE Plant and Aquarium T12 bulbs for my starts and think they are doing pretty well. They are 40w and 48" for about $10 each in the stores. If you have bulbs shipped to you the risk of breaking is there along with the hassle. As I add more shelves and buy more lights, I am wondering if I should use just the Plant and Aquarium bulbs or mix with other flouros that are cheaper. My only interest is to get the chiles big enough to move to the greenhouse and outside in the spring.

Despite the color temperature, GE Kitchen and Bath bulbs supposedly make good growlights as per Wayne Schmidt's comparison: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/fluorescent.html

That's what i'm using this year, and they are half the price of the admittedly better GE Plant and Aquarium bulbs.

Apparently, despite what Kelvin the package states, certain fluorescent bulbs can have strong blue and red spikes in them.

Good Lord, definiely not a good deal.... Home Repo and Lowes average $8.49 for a 24" 20watt T12 lamps, no waiting, no shipping, no cracked lamps when you open the package.... Don't be that guy that eBay saw coming.... ;)
Of course a 48" lamp would get muuuuch better output for not much more money, IMHO...

Yeah I need to stop posting questions when tired. I went down and checked out what I had bought at Lowes and fund they have a 3100 rating and I remember they were $7 and change. I then had some free time to go out driving and found a hydroponics shop nearby. Looking at a couple T5's to add to my t-12's to hit the blue range more.

Back