• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2 sterile plants, no flowers, buds or pods - any ideas?

I've got two totally sterile plants, a Fatalii and a Morouga Red.

Both are very healthy, big, bushy plants with many branches and forks. Beautiful foliage. They were grown under the EXACT same conditions as all my other plants. My other fatalii is producing just fine. Neither of these plants has produced a single flower, bud, or pod. Nothing. Now with it being mid July, it is obvious that the window of oppotunity has passed for the season and they are just not gonna get it done.

They have not been overfed nitrogen; on the contrary, they get a scoop of TomatoTone every 3 weeks and a bit of fish/seaweed. But whatever they get, all my other plants get it too.

These two are the only 2 out of my 60 plant that are nonreproductive. It's like they took Prozac and now they just have no interest at all in procreation. Also, laast year I had about 50 plants and all fifty put out at least one damn flower - I've never seen this before.

Understanding that there is definitely not a nitrogen issue here, can anyone comment on what might cause something like this. Is it just nature - the occasional, random plant that won't reproduce, or is it indicative of something wrong that I need to get to the bottom of?

These two are the only 2 out of my 60 plant that are nonreproductive. It's like they took Prozac and now they just have no interest at all in procreation. Also, laast year I had about 50 plants and all fifty put out at least one damn flower - I've never seen this before.

When I was in middle school, I read an article about how prozac made squids reproduce like rabbits. First time I ever giggled at science.

But yeah, also waiting for any answers.

Something is not right with their conditions. Dont know what it is because I dont know your growing setup but that is the only contributing factor.

That seems pretty odd...
though, I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but maybe find someone that has the same variety and graft a stem onto your existing plant.
Just an idea.

Back