• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2013 Greenhouse Grow

Hey everyone!

Im going to start my grow log here in a new thread because I had some set backs earlier this year mainly with overwatering. Thanks everyone for all your help this site is awesome.

I just put this greenhouse up a few weeks ago and have been working on getting it all dialed in. Temps are still a little high, but Im going to install some bigger exhaust fans next week that will take my exhaust CFM from its current 2200 CFM to 6000 CFM so I should see a further reduction in temps. Its about 95 degrees in there today and some days it gets up around 100 or a bit past so Im hoping the larger fans will bring that down a tad.

Anyway ... heres what I have going so far. Here is the greenhouse, I still need to bring some more rock in and surround the outside of it but for now I have to make sure I have a grasp on temps and automation.

t7pp.jpg

g80y.jpg

8snk.jpg

Here on the left is a 7 pot yellow and on the right a better bush tomato

ztzm.jpg

On the left a douglah and on the right the same 7 pot yellow from above:

c7eu.jpg

On the left a douglah and the right a TSMB. All of these plants that are in these homer buckets got severe overwatering and sunburn ... they are just now recovering from the damage I did several months ago. Their bouncing back though.

iyc8.jpg

Heres a beefsteak tomato, starting to pump out new growth. It already set several tomatos but I pinched them off in hopes of getting the plant to grow vegetatively:

jm5s.jpg

Here is a 25 gallon smart pot all loaded up with soil and ready to go. Now I just gotta figure out what to put in it! lol .. I have a fatalii seedling going that I may stick in there, either that or one of the various other smaller plants that I have going on the sidelines. Eventually I will do 3 of these 25 gallon smart pots right down the center of the greenhouse. One will definately have a fatalii .. Im still in the air on what to put in the other two. Im thinking either a red bhut, red brain strain and maybe a heirloom tomato of some kind. The soil mix consists of approximately 4 gallons rabbit manure, 2 gallons homemade worm castings, 3-4 gallons perilite, and the rest is a mixture of 50% fresh peat moss and 50% recycled soil from previous container grows (contains more perilite, peat and castings that were probably all used up by the previous plants).

I ammended with tomato tone, blood meal, bone meal and a very small amount of lime, gypsum, and powdered oyster shells. PH comes out to about 6.8. I loaded the smart pot all up, then brewed up 5 gallons of ACT (molasses, worm castings, tomato tone, and liquid kelp) then once the brew was all frothy and filled with goodness I poured the whole 5 gallons into the soil mix in this 25 gallon smart pot. Ill let it set there and "cook"  so to speak. The microbes will break down all the manures, castings, and ammendments while Im figuring out what to put in there, once I plant the soil mix should be ready to rock.

ngl0.jpg

Someone bump this please so I can post more pics, the pic limit kinda sucks .....

Thanks for the bump Ghost Pepper .....

... and on this side from left to right: chocolate bhut, red brain strain, aji lemon, aji lemon, chocolate bhut,  and a yellow 7 pot

6cem.jpg

Here i have from left to right neopoleon sweet pepper, jalapeno, and another aji lemon:

2rlg.jpg

Heres another TSMB thats hanging on trying to recover from my horrible overwatering and bad sunburn:

86sf.jpg

Heres my exhaust system. These are the 12" fans pushing 2200 CFM. Next week they will be replaced with 16" fans pushing 6000 CFM. Hopefully it will bring down temps some more. It would be great to get a 10 degree drop but if I can get around 7 degrees or better drop Ill be happy. You can see the thermostat for my heater hanging to the left.

le7i.jpg

Here you can see the internal shade cloth system. Yesterday I took the shade cloth down as I wasnt sure it would do any benefit to reducing temps since its mounted on the inside. Today at noon it was 97-98 degrees in there with NO shade cloth. I put the shade cloth on and in 20 minutes temps in the same spot were reduced to 88 degrees. As the afternoon went on the hottest part of the day at 3 PM it is now again 95 degrees with the shade cloth on but it would be up around 105 if I hadnt put it back on.

Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions in my other threads. Turns out it does bring temps down about 10 degrees even though its mounted inside.

nmm9.jpg

Daaamn man. Nice glass house, guess you can't cast the first stone lol jk. But for real, that's a beast of a greenhouse with real nice looking ventilation. Rock on!

Alright, you got it ... Ill try to get some pics today or tomorrow but Im gonna stick it outside in my protected hardening off area for tomorrow. The seedling is tiny Im telling ya! lol ... it doesnt even clear the rim of the solo cup its in, but if you say to stick it straight into that 25 gallon smarty ... Im game!

Its gonna be hilarious looking. The thing cant be more then 1" tall. Barely starting its second set of leaves. Its a cool looking fatalii seedling too. Out of four sprouts this one was purple, all the others bright green.

Nice greenhouse!  Is that a One Stop Garden product?  

It looks to be 8x16 feet?  Awesome.  My 6x8 is marginal.
Those polycarbonate panels are great.  Are yours UV treated?
The ones that came in my original kit weren't.  My replacements 
(after 5 years of use) were.    If not, the shade cloth on the outside will 
protect the panels themselves, as well.  What % shade is your cloth?
I'm waffling between 30-40% when I replace my original. I let my cloth
hang all the way to the ground on the sunny side.   

Ha, I just noticed you have the same space heater as mine - has been a very
effective unit here.  Keeps my leaky greenhouse at 40+ even if temps get
below 30 (but not too far!) in a fairly efficient manner.  I use the low power
setting.  These units seem to last 4-6 years of winter load - this is my second
one, but for less than $15 can't complain!

Hey, good luck with your revised grow.  The specimens you have
going look like they are recovering nicely, and the newer plants look great!

P.S.  I just went and checked it out online.  What a great product - did you
get the sink and stuff, too, or just the frame?  Looks like a pretty good discount,
way to go.

Holyhotpepper ...thanks! sorry bud I thought I responded. to ya already. I don't have any way to remove paneling its a SOLID permanent greenhouse.

Paul - ya its an 8'x16'. Its a riverstone monticello ...it was expensive as hell but its got a 113 mph wind rating, 8mm polycarbonate panels (that are UV treated) and a 24 lbs per sq. foot snow load rating.

My shade cloth is a 62% pass through supposedly...but it cuts the light down more then I like.

I've installed two new 16" exhaust fans and man do they suck some wind. Those 12"rs pictured weren't getting the job done. Ill get new pics in the next day or so. The 12"rs moved 2200cfm ..the new 16"rs are sucking 6000 cfm - big improvement!

The heater is a temporary one to use during the summer nights. I'm at 7000' elevation...our days are 80-90 but our nights drop to 40-50 degrees even in peak of summer. Im researching big badboy heaters to keep this thing going year round...or close to it. Can't decide if I should go electric or gas...probably going to get something around 20000 BTU

As for the plants...they all seem to be slowly turning around and the new ones are all doing good. Thanks!

That is one serious greenhouse!

It will be great to be able to grow in your greenhouse year 'round!  
Even with shade cloth, mine's not the best place for plants in the summer.  
They do better in the real sun and fresh air.  It is, however, a godsend
for the winters here!  With the sun you get in the winter, it should be just
perfect for your plants!, Plus, the heat will melt the snow on the roof!

I spent a couple of weeks in Flagstaff one summer doing some teaching at NAU.
Beautiful area.  If I were to live in AZ, that's where it would be.

Ya its Gorgeous Here...never-ending pine forests ...mountains hiking snowboarding skiing deserts cactus ...lol..just about everything.

The climate sucks for growing though. Summer day time temps are good... but the summer night temps can even get to 40 degrees. Our growing season is 90 days from frost to frost because of the low night temps. However ...I bet easily 6-7 months out of the year the daytime temps are 50 deg or better with very intense Sun so a greenhouse will be perfect. Even in dead winter we have strong Sun. It'll just be keeping nightime temps up.

Last but not least the wind...the freaking wind can come through in micro bursts and blow stuff everywhere ...again...the greenhouse prevails by acting as a wind block.

My temps are a little high right now but should drop in a few months. Mid sept is first frost so I'm guessing we will have 70 degree days and the plants should be all recovered and grown up ...ready to throw pods - at least I hope. :)

I think you are smart to get a good heater for your area!
That little guy wouldn't probably pull the load for that size
of greenhouse.  Nice thing about gas, you have heat, even
if the power goes out.  Don't know if that's much of a problem
there.

Not really.

That is the nice thing about gas...bad thing is you gotta fill tanks ...or have a line ran I guess. I'm going to have to have electric ran anyway so I was hoping to go that route but 20000 BTU electric heaters are pulling like 5700 watts!!

Gas probably would probably be cheaper to run... seems like electric would be cheaper to install.

Plus with gas you gotta vent... which means more cutting the greenhouse.

I got another thermostate in and connected it to the cooling system.

The exhaust kicks on at 85 degrees the heater kicks on at 60. Also...I just bought a shuttered intake with a motor ... ill connect that to the cooling system thermostat so in winter when the doors are shut and the exhaust kicks on it will trip the motor opening up the intake shutter to allow airflow into the greenhouse. When it cools down the fans shut off and the motor closes the intake.

Toys are fun. Automation is cool...growing stuff rocks

:)

Ill get pics and updates soon. Several plants have been transplanted and after looking at these pics I just realized they all are starting to put on some real growth!

If you get a "ventless" gas heater you do not have to vent. My natural gas heater is not vented, and I have only noticed a buildup once, when the vents had not opened for a couple of days. On average, my gas bill has only gone up by about $10 a month in the winter, I would hate to think what electric heating would cost me.

Sounds like you are well on your way! Have fun getting the automation all dialed in, it takes some trial and error but once it is done it is smooth sailing!

The ventless ones I looked at said not to be used above 4500' elevation ...I'm at 7000' so I'm not sure. Maybe it was just that model tho.

You have yours hooked up to a gas line then I take it? Maybe ill look into that a bit more

Oh wow, I didn't even think about that... 7000ft? That must be beautiful, though. I do have a gas line run from my main out to the greenhouse. It was about 100' run, and cost me $800 to have put in (I did all the digging). Here in Illinois you can't buy the plastic line or the risers without being licensed, so I had to pay a contractor.

If the ventless heaters dont work at high elevation, then I would listen to them. No reason to risk it.

Back