• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2015 grow advice.

Hiya folks.
Going to be starting next years grow in the next couple of weeks and will start a grow-log, but just wanted your opinion(s!) on a couple of things as still a bit of a noob. I've got a decent sized heated propagator to start the seeds off. Am i ok putting the seeds straight into the trays in the prop to germinate? And how many seeds in each little section? Will be switched on of course for a bit heat. After they germinate, (hopefully!) do i still need to keep the prop heated or not? I am out all day and the room will be pretty chilly, maybe 12c. I've read conflicting advice on this. The prop will be sitting beside a south facing window from the off so light won't be an issue.
Cheers.
Baz.

I am assuming you will but the seeds in seed starter or some form of seed starting plug. These go right into the germination chamber, covered and moist. I drop 2-3 seeds in each plug then decide who lives later.

I pull them out as soon as I see a hook or seedling. No light is needed to start the seeds. I keep my heat mat at 88f (it has a 3 degree differential on the cold side so I am sitting at 85-88)

This is just my way of doing things of course.

A seedling left in the germ chamber too long will rot.

Thanks guys. Ok, let me see if i've got this.

PrimeTime, so as soon as you see the seedling appear you remove it from the propagator or whatever you use, and after that no heat?
Meinchoh, What sort of temps do you have in Ohio when germinating your seeds? Think it's a bit on the chilly side here not to warm them up a bit!

Correct. You certainly don't want it in there after that due to the humidity, assuming you can pull individuals out.

I don't think the heat is bad at all after they sprout. I have never heard it leads to legginess. I would not use any heat if not needed after germination as it will certainly dry the soil out very fast. If the plants are in a very cold room I wouldn't see an issue with a heat mat under plants set to say 60f but thats different. Don't over complicate it!

Heat and moisture to pop them then light and a fan to grow them. Done.

Back