• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018, my first attempt at autopots

Dear fellow pepperheads,

After being inspired by reading the glogs here and elsewhere, I figured it was time to write my own, and post about progress, issues and thoughts related to my grows. This is only my second year of growing peppers, and went from 2 plants last year (Jalapeño and Peter Chili) to now wanting to grow a few more for better variety and a larger stock to get through the winter, give to friends/family etc, you know the drill. :)

So my modest grow list is now:

Aji Benito (local nursery)
Numex Orange Spice (local nursery)
Jamaican Bell (local nursery)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (local hardware store)
Corno di Toro (local nursery)
Sweetbite Yummy (local hardware store)

Last year I grew in a grow bag, and while the jalapeño worked pretty well, the Peter Chili only gave me 3 chilis despite growing to a nice bushy plant. My guess was that the less than optimal summer weather last year meant it didn't get hot enough (it kept having flower drop) , which is why this year I invested in a small greenhouse/cold frame. This should be able to house all 6 plants I hope, and already gets to the mid- and high-thirties (degrees C) during the day and therefore will hopefully support even the B.O.C..

In addition, I also invested in 6 autopots, or better put, 1x Easy2grow kit with 2x extension kits, which from what I could find online, should help produce a bumper crop. I'd love to hear what people here have experienced, as the number of people growing peppers in them for fun still seems somewhat limited when browsing the web.

I bought the small plants on April 12th, some from the local hardware store, but most from an organic local nursery, which specializes in pepper plants and acclimatizes them to the Danish climate already from seedling onwards. So while that means slower growth at first, it means the plants are more robust which I could see when comparing them with the hardware store ones while the night temps were still low. The hardware store ones for sure were unhappy <10C, while the nursery ones have been fine down to the 6C I've exposed them to. On colder nights, I moved all the plants indoor, and kept the hardware store bought plants indoor day & night until just last week.

Plants were put into the autopots in the last week of April, and are growing in a 35/35/30 mix of soil, coco and Leca. As recommended, there is a ~4cm layer of Leca at the bottom of the pots to improve drainage. For those unfamiliar with autopots, they use a smartvalve which allows all the water to be used by the plant before allowing the trays to fill up again, and is completely gravity-powered and thus maintenance free. It comes with a 47L tank, which should be sufficient for up to 6 plants exactly. For nutrients, I'm using a standard 3-1-4 liquid fertiliser which is optimized for drip systems etc, and shouldn't clog the autopot system.

Currently, plants are still standing on a raised box inside the cold frame as they're still a bit smaller than expected and I want them to get as much sun as possible, but will move them into their final position in a week and a half and let the smartvalves take it from there. Both the Sweetbite Yummy and B.O.C. have started flowering already, but I picked the first 6-7 flowers to encourage further growth, but from now on will let them do their thing. FYI, all plants except the Aji Benito and Numex Orange Spice were topped to encourage bushy growth, given the limited height I have available in the cold frame. So far it seems to have paid off, besides the obvious delay in vertical growth and flowering. My hope is that by the end of June, everything is flowering and producing pods, so that I can start harvesting from August onwards. But let's see! :)

All in all, I'm very excited this year and can't wait to see how the planning and new technology etc pans out, and will post regular updates here for those interested.

Sweetbite Yummy:
1b8b20f48db2c09d5c44244107cb58c3.jpg

B.O.C.:
8f6a38765400fc0e943fa50dc0816096.jpg

Topped B.O.C.:
f5a34826e5c9759c0982318ea90c99c8.jpg

Topped Sweetbity Yummy:
49dcd0b5c3dd23e299448fc1efaa97a4.jpg

Jamaican bell:
ddefc675e0f39e58091037701c4319f0.jpg

Corno di Toro yellow:
9397fe69aea95a251234c8feb7f92548.jpg

Numex Orange Spice:
c59fdc3c1b7188bec26d13bc59c1764f.jpg

Aji Benito:
5eb7facb7a3fd093474480582ed85b03.jpg

And the whole collection outside:
4159e85acb2c6e2a92395a4a7e93747e.jpg

As you can see, most plants were very small at the start, but given that it was only April 12th, it should all be fine

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

Another week, another update... :)

It's been a very hot and sunny week, especially for Danish terms, and while I was away, the aquavalves really delivered on their promise of keeping the plants well-watered as I think the plants look quite happy. The system only used about 1/3 of the 47L tank, so I think once the plants are full size, it should hold for about a week. I'm glad my nutes need a 1:400 dilution, as this means it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to keep the plants fed (5L concentrate for about 15USD).

After moving the plants, I was a little concerned about them being too small to get enough light with the wooden base of the greenhouse, but as you can see in the comparison picture below, they seemed to have done just fine. All plants have started forming buds, so I'm excited to see when more pods start showing their beautiful faces. ;) Do you guys generally pinch the first couple of flowers to let the plant focus on growth, or is this not really needed in the long run as the plant knows best what to do? I only did it on the B.O.C and Bell as they were bigger to begin with, but feel it's too late in the season for the other plants. But I think the growth in just one week was quite significant (top one today, bottom one 8 days ago):

42ddfe7de24e46957da14bf89e62b3d0.jpg

I'm happy to report lots of pods on the bell, with many more flowers ready, so I think this will be a good producer:

33ecdc0d42384238d99ea4144d9d078b.jpg

The B.O.C. has lots of buds inbound, so hopefully many will set:

a41771b4f718b8b9b4487d953b6fd52d.jpg

Same on the Numex Orange Spice, and this might be the plant I'm most excited about this year:

01b8eb355c372a8a032c8482501bda51.jpg

I also saw there were a couple of spiders living in my bushes, I guess this is a good thing against aphids, mites etc? 

367f6b2a0608de78165bf9a6e8741b64.jpg

All in all, happy days I'd say!  :dance:

I had another closer look at the plants today, and am not sure whether I'm just paranoid, or whether I can see some phenotype on the leafs of some of my plants. My Sweetbite bell plant is doing really well, and the Aji Benito and Numex Orange Spice also looks normal, but if I look at the leafs of my Jamaican Bell and B.O.C., some of them seem to take a strange, kind of crinkled shape.

3458855035fca613d64f33876d1cc03e.jpg

04fb52901e1f39a529b584ea19f2d62e.jpg

The Toro Yellow bell also seems to be developing some yellowish spots on the leafs, but again, not sure whether this is bad enough to indicate some issue.

7488e2967e9d5deabb8fd6443fb5fda5.jpg

Just wanted to check whether the experts here think I may be having a nute issue? I'm using a standard 3-1-4 mineral fert, diluted according to manufacturer instructions. Wondering whether the high pH of my tap water could be causing this (pH7.6) Many thanks for any comments as if so, I'd like to catch it early :)

Absolutely! Keeps the peppers just that little bit warmer during the day and out of the wind at night... 6 plants seem to fit well, just hope the won't grow to tall too quickly but so far so good. :)

Numex orange spice also really flowering now, and B.O.C. opened its 2nd flower too. Now just hoping there will be the first sign of pods this coming week :D

0b4ba7703178d0b86d872d876ba92794.jpg

Such a tiny little cold frame, beware those plants will not soon fit inside it. You may need to buy or build an additional cold frame near the existing one.

Chilidude said:
Such a tiny little cold frame, beware those plants will not soon fit inside it. You may need to buy or build an additional cold frame near the existing one.

When the plants outgrow the coldframe, I would consider it quite a success compared to last year! ;) But you're right, it will probably soon start getting tight in there, as it's 80cm x 120cm (2.6 x 4 foot) wide and only 1.10m (3.6 foot) tall. My problem is that we have a very shady and hilly garden, so no room for a real green house (something I will take into account next time we move :)). I might move the bell peppers outside next to the coldframe, if it really does get too full inside to maintain decent airflow; this way I can keep using the autopots if I cover them against rain. 

It's also why I've topped the plants early on to ensure bushy growth. Is this something one can keep doing or are there other tricks to keep plants nice and compact while still productive?

Want to keep plant compact and still prolific?

You should keep in mind simple rule: "plant size=pot size". Or you can just trim excesses and keep plant bushy, it still will find spots to produce flowers.

What capacity are those pots?

styxhexnchilli said:
BTW i'm on the same latitude as you lespaulde. Let's keep in touch witch each other to compare final results. 
Let's do so! :) Which peppers are you growing?

They're currently in 8.5L pots as I purposely didn't want to put them in the available 15L pots as per your simple rule. I guess indeed once they reach the glass roof, I will simply have to start trimming. Only the baccatums and bells are getting to that stage though, and I must say I'm happy that I topped the peppers early as they have become more bushy than they otherwise would have.

Thanks for your input!

So last week has been very exciting for me, as lots of flowers have started opening, and I also made the switch to the Hesi Coco nutes as highlighted by Chilidude. I switched over last Thursday so can't really say anything yet, except that things are looking good and it could hardly get any easier. :dance: I'm at half dose now due to my soil:coco mix, and will keep it at this for a few weeks to see whether I'll need to go up or not.

As this is a glog, now it's time for pictures of course! :)

So the Aji Benito has started showing its glorious flowers:

f8854fea9405774712ace2b93097fb81.jpg

77dc4a58f3b1e2379c678bba40058adc.jpg

The sweetbite yummy has been putting out pods faster than I can keep count, so this should be a nice and productive plant:

ff024e4b1fee1228bb4b8c13139ae6fe.jpg

The Numex orange spice, while still relatively small, has also picked up, and is opening multiple flowers, and even the first pod appeared! :dance: :D

7ed94ba22a49e6bb5efa39496e03b8e2.jpg
904d96b72c5ea97fe888eb942645fe86.jpg

And, as a premiere in our household, the first superhot pods have also reared their beautiful heads! Still tiny, but they're there!

64ed7a33ee92acfbe7f6c69748b1dcbc.jpg
5e715c3ad3a9168ff34ba9c007c16de3.jpg

Overall, the plant is doing quite well I think, nice and bushy:

a3a8836b6b23e355644c2d8778a225f1.jpg

This plant has so many flowers out, but there was very little if any pollen, hence why I felt my 3-1-4 nutes were falling short in the P and K department, as the plants get ~8hrs of direct sunlight per day and are generally above 25C (32C max) during the day and ~13-15C at night. I pollinated the 2 first flowers on the BOC with pollen from the bell pepper, so might be interesting what kind of hybrid could come out.

Am looking to do some real crossing once more flowers appear on all the plants, as I think the hybrid stuff is quite fascinating! A Jamaican Benito Bell would be quite cool, or a Jamaican Bell x Numex Orange Spice, or of course a Jamaican BOC... So many options, but also so much growing required after that that I will have to be selective - not easy! ;)

You might need to give them more direct sunlight to make the magic happen and from my experience, the c.chinense plants will really start pushing those pods when the night temperatures stays above 15c for a few weeks, so you just have to wait for it to happen later in the summer. :P

An effective way to get some early pods out of those c.chinense early on is to use a q-tip to transfer some pollen from some other pepper that already produce pollen, but you already did that so keep on doing it.

So a whole week of good sunshine and plants being on Hesi Coco has passed, and besides a few newly pollinated pods on the Sweetbite Yummy turning yellow and falling off (not sure why as the rest of the pods keep getting bigger and bigger and new flowers are opening and looking healthy?), everything is going as I'd hoped.
I also bought a little solar water pump to keep the nutrients in the reservoir well mixed, so now I still don't need electricity but am able to have my water supply slightly oxygenated. I'm only filling about 10L at a time, which is still sufficient for ~5 days despite the high 20s in temperature, so will stick with this for now.

Now to the visual part... :)

Look at how the Jamaican Bell has taken off in size! Basically can't close the cold frame anymore, and am actually considering to move this plant out rather than topping it, as it apparently is quite cold-tolerant. Not sure anyone has experience with this plant outside a greenhouse in a moderate climate? Flowers haven't opened yet, but I can see it's getting close, and have read it's a quite late variety...

3932e4052c090008bbf3da8c1c16d92b.jpg

The Numex orange spice is also putting out pods now, although some seem to have a slight opening in them which I'm unsure about whether that's normal? Maybe it's just the first 2 pods doing it as the newer ones seem fine...
7d42ae183f0add6020101d11b2f224e8.jpg

BOC is still flowering like mad, but without pollen, and I'm trying to cross pollinate from the other plants to get production going. For now at least the first 2 pods are growing nicely but no more are forming. Starting to look gnarly though, which is cool. :)

534bdb6c50e13871c4df615be89a9727.jpg

Lots of flowers and growth, hopefully more pods forming soon:

51558b09035565e25c2ae5f5855fa545.jpg

The Aji Benito I'm most excited about this week, as its pushing pods like crazy! :dance: In the 1st picture I could count 9 pods, and more flowers are opening and being pollinated every single day:

34ddb854bbf6a879ea6cca1ecf122975.jpg

8e4a93a406ae1348379bf2369011aabb.jpg

The Corno di Toro yellow, which has been ultra slow from the start, has also finally picked up, and I expect the first flower to open this week:

d7b5acb2f0c2cd725e495882eb39cb99.jpg

So far I'm impressed with the Hesi Coco, although of course there's no real comparison to be made as I'm not growing side-by-side, but bottom line is that they seem to be working well for chili plants in production... At 24eur for 5L, they certainly are affordable. :)

They look good so keep it up. Last year i had Aji benito and the few pods i got from it tasted really good. The cheapest place i found for the Hesi coco 5l container was 20,70 euros in Europe+free shipping if you order goes over 100 euros.

Here's some better pictures from the Numex orange spice, where you can see the opening in the pod:

ef8e8a09b41adcbcc06288b18c58386b.jpg

I hope it's just because this was the first pod to set?

The second one to set looks better, although it also has a strange stripe:

5d00e61b37b35c96b166a4c231a00015.jpg

And this recent one looks perfectly normal:

01a6d269f1ec831fc478cf8a1fbb2709.jpg

I changed my water to deionized water for now, still at 25ml of Hesi Coco p. 10L, and hope that switching away from the hard tap water in our region will free up more nutes for the plants as there were some newly formed pods that were dropping and a few yellowing leafs.

On a positive note, look at the BOC pod growing by the day! Literally can't wait to taste this one, as it will probably blow my mind :fire:

a11db9d243fe4d7dc92e0cc53dd62545.jpg

lespaulde said:
Here's some better pictures from the Numex orange spice, where you can see the opening in the pod:

ef8e8a09b41adcbcc06288b18c58386b.jpg

That pod dont look all too good, i would take it off from the plant as the plant will only waste energy to grow it and you can try upping the Hesi coco dosage to the full 50ml to 10 litres of water if you use better quality water this time around.

50ml to 10 litres of rainwater EC number was only around 1.0, but it also does contain some natural nitrogen too in it that my EC meter cant show, but it should be pretty safe number in constant usage even in soil. Give the full dosage a try and report with pictures in a week or two.

Chilidude said:

That pod dont look all too good, i would take it off from the plant as the plant will only waste energy to grow it and you can try upping the Hesi coco dosage to the full 50ml to 10 litres of water if you use better quality water this time around.

50ml to 10 litres of rainwater EC number was only around 1.0, but it also does contain some natural nitrogen too in it that my EC meter cant show, but it should be pretty safe number in constant usage even in soil. Give the full dosage a try and report with pictures in a week or two.

That's some solid advise, thanks! I will indeed up the dosage now that I'm using pure water as a starting point, to make sure the plants keep getting enough calcium and magnesium. I also always noticed some kind of film forming in my reservoir, which must have been some chelated nutrients precipitating out. This was both with the dirt cheap nutes (which were made for drip watering systems) and the Hesi Coco; hopefully now that will be a thing of the past as well...

I also removed the pod, and it turns out it was a little caterpillar got comfy in there as if it were home, so the question of course is who came first, the cave or its inhabitant? My guess would be the latter, explaining the weird looking pod... Curious if the developing capsaicin oils eventually would have driven it out? ;) But for sure, best to let the plant focus on eatible pods. Thanks a lot Chilidude!

It's been 2 weeks since my last update, and plants have been trucking along nicely, thanks to the amazing weather and now seemingly fine-tuned water/nute setup. Been runng Hesi Coco at full dose in distilled water only, and all precipitation issues I used to have in the autopot system belongs to the past now. Unbelievable what a difference soft water makes!

Day temps are in the mid- to high 20C and night time between 15 and 18C, and this does wonders, especially for the BOC. Look at how this plant has taken off in size!

364bf4374c098c9ff14e289bd7ebbf7b.jpg

The first 2 pods have also gotten nice and big, and I could count at least 4 more that have started growing thanks to the bees. How long do these kinds of peppers usually need to ripen?

1cc433a8bcf01b34e5a17be58fe6204d.jpg

65cd8f0353491e7ebc1624792f7f35e3.jpg

The Jamaican Bell has moved outside the green house now as it simply got too tall, and this has done well for it, with good growth and several pods having set:

98f80cb4b7846c4c9269ffc2af1bb037.jpg

9f852ead8db6765b77f83aab2633cffe.jpg

The corno di Toro is also pushing pods like mad now, with some visibly growing by the day and getting to a nice size. This was the last plant to set pods and really got a growth spurt in the last few weeks, both in terms of pods but also plant size.

ebadb7c259ce6f926519ff5da26d829a.jpg

Numex orange spice is also doing well; although it grows quite slowly we are getting pods and hopefully some will ripen soon, but again, not sure what to expect in terms of timing. I'm also wondering whether this jalapeño variant is tasty before pods turn orange, haven't rally been able to find any hints... Very exciting! :)

0668025e3b86e394239f57888c8a605e.jpg

And saving the best for last, look at the Aji Benito! This plant is crazy proliferative and setting multiple pods per day, I counted at least 35 good sized ones and more keep coming. It's also growing upwards and outwards, and I will soon need to start trimming a bit. But man, the internet wasn't kidding when it said it's a good producer! Can't wait to try one once it turns red :dance:

a891c749c670f911953c6ec43b6bca76.jpg

ff1b273f746ed7c6a16700d9a288ce47.jpg

Overall, I'm wondering whether the autopot is giving it a bit too much water as they never actually run dry (despite manufacturers claim of wet/dry cycle), so I think next year I'll for sure opt for coco only, combined with the Leca. The soil might be hanging on to the water a little more than I'd like to (heavy pots...), hence some of the leafs turning yellow. Although to be fair, this has also significantly reduced since switching away from the hard tap water. Always nice to have some things to try next year though... ;)

Back