• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

Well grabbed a 3 hour nap after hanging drywall all day, gotta move some plants out to the farm. I have 11 more trays sprouted than I have room or lights for, so it's time for some stuff to get moving. 

Tired.

And so it begins.. the exodus to the farm.

cW0S0SI.jpg

rm91iQp.jpg

This table is the organic-only table. The tomatoes are thriving in Mix M (fatal to peppers), while the peppers are doing kickass in mix N.

VehjPlo.jpg

QARVW3A.jpg

Resuscitation table here. These are past failed experiments which are being kept alive on life support.

ssr8Pwj.jpg

By Sunday there will be 670 more peppers joining those.

As I clear out trays I'll plant a few more annuums, and a few more chinense which are destined to be indoors seed plants (no need to "hurry them along", I don't care if they make pods in time to harvest for produce; just want the pods for seeds, which means a November ripening is fine)

Looking good.

With permission I'm copying your plastic lined trays , just on a smaller scale.

For the last two years I've been trying to fit the square pots into plastic trays and then the plastic trays into my grow cabinet , but never a perfect fit and just too much wasted space.

The only solution will be custom made / home made trays .

karoo said:
Looking good.

With permission I'm copying your plastic lined trays , just on a smaller scale.

For the last two years I've been trying to fit the square pots into plastic trays and then the plastic trays into my grow cabinet , but never a perfect fit and just too much wasted space.

The only solution will be custom made / home made trays .

Go for it. :)

Those tables are just 2x4's, 1/2" OSB 4x8' sheeting cut down to 3x8' (furthest my arm can reach to water plants in back), with 8 mil black plastic stapled in to place with a hammer stapler. The 1' rip piece was cut in half to do the long-side "walls", screwed in to place so it had a 3" exposure. Two extra sheets of 4x8 were cut in to 6" strips to do the short side walls. The tables support a couple hundred pounds without any special bracing on the legs, but with 45's and other bracing could support 5x that amount. Didn't need them heavier duty for plants.

I use the same basic design for building shelves, etc. 

The sturdier shelf version I build can support about 1500 pounds per shelf, use it for ammunition storage

6a98nQi.jpg

RqGvD1Y.jpg

6Of1lGQ.jpg

Also past experiences are already leading to some changes in the way I am handling the annuums as they pop.

First off, when I water starter trays after sprouting, I'm introducing cal-mag right from the get go.  That has proven to be the single largest limiting factor - without it, and in decent quantities, to boot, nothing else works. Without calmag, I'm finding plants just don't get nutrients; they sit there, doing nothing, until they starve to death, or subsequent feedings (or time for organic dry fert breakdown) brings nitrogen levels to the point it burns the roots to death.

Phosphorus deficiencies are first to show up as a limiting factor (purple leaves, no growth, then finally death), but that's only because of the cal/mag deficiencies. 

Also the organic cocktail I did is whomping the living CRAP out of the hydroponic fertilizer. I've been feeding the hydro plants on schedule, but the organic ones I potted up a week later are already overtaking them. That 5-11-2 + cal mag organic liquid mix is frigging potent. In 5 days the plants overtook the hydro test by a fair margin; probably 20-25% bigger leaves and faster development. 

So I'm glad I stuck with it. 19 failures on potting soil mixes, over 300 dead pepper plants, then finally have a baseline that's working. Not just working, but working far better than I'd hoped it would. I never would have got there if it wasn't for all of the testing and failures. Each failure taught me something new.

Going to be interesting to see how much further I can push things this year, and in future years.

A little bit of movement shock from the stuff I took out to the farm last week. Didn't have the thermostats up high enough, I guess? Those hydro test plants weren't looking too happy. It'd been 7 days since they got food though. Probably should split their feedings in to a 50/50 and give them a half dose twice a week, instead of one big dose once a week.

Yvya3WJ.jpg

Organic maters were doing good when I checked on them Friday

IwIuOvs.jpg

k5OIdJh.jpg

So were the organic peppers

uDCnNdk.jpg

Saturday morning got another table worth of peppers moved out

qtm2oyf.jpg

Organic maters are going to eat the farm if they keep growing at this rate. 24 hours and I was stunned by how much bigger they got.

EZzVSSJ.jpg

b4B3xg0.jpg

Organic peppers, likewise. Good grief these things quadrupled in size over night.

Hydro left, organic right; hydro got a 5 day head start on the organic one.

YxEmBUX.jpg

The hydro solution doesn't react like this at home....

DVBt1c9.jpg

That water is going to either prove to be miracle food, or going to kill every last one of those plants lol.

I was going to transplant a bunch more yesterday and haul them out but got roped in to helping a buddy. Went down to tile his kitchen yesterday after moving plants to the farm.

odyQ9Ie.jpg

Cg4rfqS.jpg

uv7AjYY.jpg

I've done a few, looks like you know what you are doing. All of your projects look great. Budget usually hinders mine, but I try to at least do enough research to ensure everything functions properly.

Awesome to see so much green up in here and fingers crossed that water is miracle juice

Nice tile work too -- one of those jobs that seems so daunting but in the end isn't that hard. It is nice to get lucky and not have too many crazy cuts

Be a lot greener once these all go out.

CjhuOrq.jpg

mQhuq4a.jpg

QgAxDHG.jpg

Ru1OXAA.jpg

Got 58 trays of sprouts doing their sprouting thingy.

Trying to get some some more transplants out to the farm today, this time it's an organic load.

Even once those go I won't have enough room for all of them here. I have to pot-up the 4 trays of Amish Paste tomorrow, they're already frigging ready to transplant... and even once THOSE go I'll still be alternating some trays every 12 hours to give them equal shares of light...

Then it's time to wash trays.. I think I'll have time to get one more round of annuums in the dirt. Or maybe some more maters. Haven't really decided yet.

Funny how the maters out perform the peppers by a 2x factor. I start them 6-7 weeks before dirt day in the garden and hold back on the nutes; simply because they go nuts.

That friend you helped do the tile work for needs to help you at the farm!

Devv said:
Funny how the maters out perform the peppers by a 2x factor. I start them 6-7 weeks before dirt day in the garden and hold back on the nutes; simply because they go nuts.

That friend you helped do the tile work for needs to help you at the farm!

It's actually a rolling deferment of work. My son's fiance blew the engine in her ranger. She got the oil changed at walmart, they didn't put the oil fill cap back on. Over the next ~2000 miles it leaked out enough to cause the engine to spin a bearing and chew up some valves.

I fronted my boy enough money to get an engine then got about halfway through when work got too busy to finish.

Well, that guy I did the tile for is a senior ford technician, and he's gonna wrap up that project for me. ;)

Back