• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

Well, get to start the transplant ladies on transplants this afternoon.

This will be interesting. A little nerve wracking to let others do things that I'm so meticulously structured about. 

Although ... they'll do it my way. Told them to forget everything they think they know about gardening, consistency is important so we all do it the same way. :)

TrentL said:
'maters getting big. Gonna have to raise the lights .. again...

xvjchsc.jpg

Peppers getting big too. 

HMibS2z.jpg

Took my car this time, feels good to get it back on the road and not drive the big red honking pickup truck...

8o5eD1O.jpg

2015 GT w/ Roush stage 2 supercharger, american racing headers, full 3" catless stainless exhaust w/ corsa extreme cans, carbon fiber driveshaft, mcleod twin disk RXT clutch, steeda vertical links, Tremec T56 Magnum XL transmission (replaced the chinese getrag transmission), ford racing half shafts, and a bunch of other shit. Puts just a hair over 800 rwhp to the ground. 

Nice Stang Trent! I always liked the Fox body mustangs, and had a couple t-birds myself. That thing is super clean, does the 2015 have the 5.0? I'm not up on my mustang knowledge like I used to be

Walchit said:
Nice Stang Trent! I always liked the Fox body mustangs, and had a couple t-birds myself. That thing is super clean, does the 2015 have the 5.0? I'm not up on my mustang knowledge like I used to be

Yeah 5.0L coyote engine. 

From the factory it's 435 hp. With the phase 2 supercharger I'm sitting somewhere north of 800hp now. Don't have an exact number yet because I haven't got a detail tune done.  But the car is making more power than the Roush tune allows for at this point, and it will throw a code of excessive torque detected and put me in limp home mode if I go WOT. So a detail tune is in my near future. The computer has some sensor that it detects if the car accelerates too fast, if it does, it assumes something broke and goes open loop instead of closed loop, cutting performance down. So I'm making more torque than the Roush tune allows for.

Not surprising with the aftermarket twin disk clutch (much lighter than stock), aluminum flywheel, carbon fiber driveshaft, and aftermarket transmission with different gearing than stock. It accelerates like a bat out of hell for exactly one pass then the computer goes "uhh... something's not right here, let's back off"

For that one pass though, it's frigging glorious. 

From gears 1-4, with DOT slicks on, at about 5000 RPM the rear wheels will spin up from the sheer power, and you'll lose traction. Which is quite unnerving. 

With drag radials on, it will spin the tires halfway around the wheel on a good hook. I have to order new wheels which have bead lock screws and go with tubed drag radials this year.

Should be in the high 9's this year on the quarter mile, once I get the tune dialed in.

TrentL said:
Good grief 3 days in the next 7 have snowfall on the forecast.

SCREW YOU WINTER GO AWAY

Hey listen, sorry man, we still got the sun in the South... we'll be sure to let it go north as soon as all our pods have finished ripening :rofl:

It's supposed to snow here too! My brother bought a little tuner chip for his powerstroke, it definitely made the truck a little scary! And that sucks about yours going in to limp in mode. I've never had enough horsepower I guess cause I had to Google WOT! Lol

Do you watch YouTube much? The hoonigan guys have this daily transmissions show that is pretty good. They have a bunch of people come to their lot and do burnouts and stuff.

Some of those hoonigan drift videos are pretty amazing.

Snapped some pics yesterday after all the work got done, today is an off day, rest of my 11 lights show up tomorrow. I ordered them off Amazon. Finally got the refund check from growace.

Turning in to a jungle;

dSf0ktI.jpg

mhppfls.jpg

Running lights 24x7 has resulted in much growth - but some need to get a bit of hurrying up. 

I'm uploading a full spread of pics I took yesterday, will pull some select ones out in a bit, haven't documented the full grow in a while

The "rehab table" - these are the guys which got hit with too much calcium. I intentionally lowered the pH of the pots WAY down (like, WAY down, with a 3.5 pH watering) and some are now exiting total lockout mode and greening up. There are some fatalities, of course.

aWj09DN.jpg

efHMIAv.jpg

tih6vAt.jpg

eqTMfG4.jpg

A shot of the west-most three tables, they are getting dense.

J6TIgcD.jpg

Shot from the stairs looking east; can't see past the first few tables

V5i5vJp.jpg

Transplants from this last weekend;

gRJrxCO.jpg

jJJ0ZZz.jpg

New transplants as of yesterday;

3CUKjR5.jpg

elwo1zK.jpg

AJKOUL1.jpg

qbMJtXK.jpg

KQG7JVZ.jpg

mu7VQRK.jpg

UgRG9Ib.jpg

They get a diluted dose of fish emulsion, liquid bone meal, and myco right after transplant;

71KRw6c.jpg

Plants which fully recovered from nute lockout are isolated here;

wMWzR4L.jpg

Hydro peppers;

1QhRRqk.jpg

0FRXBv1.jpg

o1X8w23.jpg

Amish paste; the ones directly under the lights curl up a little after a few days; I rotate them around periodically.

7BMtfvw.jpg

wCjwaiu.jpg

A wee bit of sunburn on the ones right next to the windows;

0NuOPuR.jpg

These (left) amish paste got too much calcium on the screwed-up-fertilizer-run a couple weeks ago. Bunch of them died, and they haven't yet fully recovered;

p4Xq9db.jpg

Some "group N" peppers (these were the first non-fatal soil test) left, along with some "oops" hydroponic errors right

Uesgjc2.jpg

Survivor tomatoes from earlier experiments. I managed to save quite a few, even from experiments which were 100% lethal to peppers

mAjypXQ.jpg

kssBnMl.jpg

Failed soil mix M. These went in to nute lockout. They came out of nute lockout when I accidentally watered them with 3.35 pH, and have been recovering nicely the last couple of weeks;

6iYqNSs.jpg

Amish paste; the ones directly under the lights curl up a little after a few days; I rotate them around periodically.

7BMtfvw.jpg

wCjwaiu.jpg

A wee bit of sunburn on the ones right next to the windows;

0NuOPuR.jpg

These (left) amish paste got too much calcium on the screwed-up-fertilizer-run a couple weeks ago. Bunch of them died, and they haven't yet fully recovered;

p4Xq9db.jpg

Some "group N" peppers (these were the first non-fatal soil test) left, along with some "oops" hydroponic errors right

Uesgjc2.jpg

Survivor tomatoes from earlier experiments. I managed to save quite a few, even from experiments which were 100% lethal to peppers

mAjypXQ.jpg

kssBnMl.jpg

Failed soil mix M. These went in to nute lockout. They came out of nute lockout when I accidentally watered them with 3.35 pH, and have been recovering nicely the last couple of weeks;

6iYqNSs.jpg

Found a couple leaks on my tables.

MvasI4k.jpg

ONe was a real bastard, somewhere in the middle of the plastic. Had to pull off ~200 amish paste and re-sheet the whole thing.

pslSIy1.jpg

pnBLxIo.jpg

Accidentally trampled one. cramped working conditions.

onq3gJx.jpg

Got that sorted.

U5bQNC3.jpg

Patched a couple other tables with corner leaks.

Those were much easier.

iWzEyp2.jpg

i9fXqrN.jpg

I gotta slow these bad boys down

ZUiqDI4.jpg

The Amish paste are already a respectable size; another 5 weeks until plant out, they're going to be too big. WAY too big. I don't have room to pot them up again.

grvB7PG.jpg

Got cherry tomatoes already blooming too. These were from the test ones I planted early Jan which survived the diabolical soil tests.

C6kN8HO.jpg

Hi Trent,

We all learn as we go. I just got into peppers a few years ago, and I still consider myself a beginner. They are WAY harder to grow successfully compared to the tomatoes.

Now, tomatoes I have down. Been growing them since 1982. I start them 6-7 weeks before dirt day. Moving them to #1 pots and by dirt day they are 15"s above the dirt. But don't worry. Keep them kinda wet and stop the nutes, let them be on hold.

I'd love to toy around with you and your Stang with my Kitty ;)

Back