• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

It's never too early to get started!

Sooo... 2022 season is over and most of my 2023 plants are already there - no reason not to start a new thread already! πŸ˜ƒ

While all my current plants are technically overwinterers, only a couple have grown through the 2022 season and are considered interesting enough to keep for next seasons grow.

Let's start with the famous Schneider farms SB plant, which will be going into it's third season in 2023. It currently doesn't look all that nice but that was also the case during the winter of 2021 so no worries here...

20221203 132021 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000376.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132038 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO250 P1000377.JPG

Next in row is my Scotch Brains plant...

20221203 132124 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000378.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132137 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000379.JPG

And then there's the Humble Servants Homestead (HSH) SB, which was also elected to stay for next season...

20221203 132244 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000380.JPG

Top view:

20221203 132259 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f8.00 ISO200 P1000381.JPG

Last edited:
Not to add fuel to the fire but because I want to do this the legal way the more of you who get seeds the cheaper it will be theoretically. I just got off the phone with the food inspection agency and to get a phytosanitary certificate for EU importation it will be 32 CAD - at today's rate 22.15 EUR. It doesn't matter how many seeds I have presented for inspection at that rate, they're just checking for insects.

A variety that I am interested in getting is the one I mentioned in this thread... the lemon yellow brain strain 7pot, which Johnny Scoville raves about.
https://thehotpepper.com/threads/lemon-yellow-brain-strain-anyone-tried-it.75937/

I already contacted SHP about this variety but they don't seem to be interested in selling it to me... πŸ™„

On the other hand, 7pots are probably way beyond what I can handle heat wise. I will likely find that out this season as I have a regular yellow brain strain and now also the burgundy 7pot going...

A variety that I am interested in getting is the one I mentioned in this thread... the lemon yellow brain strain 7pot, which Johnny Scoville raves about.
https://thehotpepper.com/threads/lemon-yellow-brain-strain-anyone-tried-it.75937/

I already contacted SHP about this variety but they don't seem to be interested in selling it to me... πŸ™„

On the other hand, 7pots are probably way beyond what I can handle heat wise. I will likely find that out this season as I have a regular yellow brain strain and now also the burgundy 7pot going...

I ordered from them before, took a little bit before they got here though

Not talking about the regular yellow 7pot brain strain which is commonly available and which I'm currently growing...

Last edited:
In the mean time the fall 2022 seedlings that were cut back because of the aphids are starting to come back nicely. Only the chocolate scotch bonnet, which was the youngest of the bunch, did not survive the cut back.

From left to right: young schneider farms SB, 7pot brain strain yellow, SB7J and KSLS. The young plant in the middle is the KS scarlett rose that I just took out of the propagator.

20230213_160253.jpg

The annuums didn't do very well... Velarde never germinated. 2 Maria Elena seeds germinated but both were helmet heads and stopped growing. Only 2 of the San Juan Tsile Pueblo seeds germinated and those seedlings are doing fine.

I replaced the Velarde and Maria Elena varieties with Espelette and JeromΓ­n and added Jaranda and Γ‘ora to the list also. It's time to grow some more annuums again πŸ™‚. I started these in the 2022 season also but it was already way too late in the season so I never got a result from them.

I'm also a bit worried about the overwintered schneider farms SB. It's starting to look ugly and is losing leaves...

Yep, I know what you mean... πŸ™„
I can accept that they charge VAT, but the handling fee is ridiculous, especially because they don't actually do anything with the package, at least not in my experience...

Now, if RFC would just mail their seeds in a regular envelope there wouldn't be a problem (WHP does it).
Unless I'm misunderstanding what's been happening to us (always a possibility), in Spain, Correos charges the VAT on the basis of item value+postage cost. So, someone sent my kids a $1 coloring book and paid $10 in postage, and we were charged VAT on $11. They also have the processing fee, and they add VAT onto the processing fee for good measure. :doh:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what's been happening to us (always a possibility), in Spain, Correos charges the VAT on the basis of item value+postage cost. So, someone sent my kids a $1 coloring book and paid $10 in postage, and we were charged VAT on $11. They also have the processing fee, and they add VAT onto the processing fee for good measure. :doh:
They want to discourage you to spend your € outside of the Union. Several years ago, I sent a parcel BE > MX that could not be delivered and was returned. However, in order to receive the parcel again, I had to pay - you're guessing right - VAT and import fees, for something that I had sent myself and was returned! Just to make the situation even more rediculous, I would have had to pay more for that farce than the actual value of the parcel. So I told them they could :censored: where there is no πŸ’‘

I replaced the Velarde and Maria Elena varieties with Espelette and JeromΓ­n and added Jaranda and Γ‘ora to the list also. It's time to grow some more annuums again πŸ™‚. I started these in the 2022 season also but it was already way too late in the season so I never got a result from them.

End of March should still be OK for annuums, no? I don't remember well... Anyway, als het kriebelt...

They want to discourage you to spend your € outside of the Union. Several years ago, I sent a parcel BE > MX that could not be delivered and was returned. However, in order to receive the parcel again, I had to pay - you're guessing right - VAT and import fees, for something that I had sent myself and was returned! Just to make the situation even more rediculous, I would have had to pay more for that farce than the actual value of the parcel. So I told them they could :censored: where there is no πŸ’‘

End
Ok so it isn't funny but the way you write it is 😁

Always grow more annuums! (If you don't mind me giving the advice. πŸ˜€) Which varieties are you planning?
The ones that in mentioned πŸ˜‰

• San Juan Tsile Pueblo (from rfc)
  • Piment D'Espelette (from original espelette farm seeds)
  • JeromΓ­n (from smoke-dried peppers)
  • Jaranda (from smoke-dried peppers)
  • Γ‘ora (from smoke-dried peppers)

Back