• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2024 Scottish Superhot trial ........

Hi Guy's

Here in Scotland we have .....let's face it.....shitty weather.... lots of cloud and often wet, cold summers 😞 however some of us have the chilli bug and feel compelled to grow these beautiful jewels of nature. Particularly when we were lucky enough to grow up in the middle East raised on spicy food and a Grand father born and raised in Kerala India in the 1920's spice is in my families very DNA 🙂

Spicey food has always played an important part in our family over the last few year's I've strived to find varieties that will grow in my particular wee Scottish greenhouse............ First was the Ring of fire cayenne which is a perfect substitute for Indian green chillies only hotter 😎 a ridiculous early tasty variety.

I've managed to find a couple of Scotch bonnet types that grow well in my wee Scottish greenhouse and taste superb 😋 I'm a happy boy.

However my search for a "superhot" that performs well in my wee Scottish greenhouse and tastes excellent continues........the Dorset Naga is pretty close and while I like the flavour and heat the aesthetics are lacking......to smooth and not gnarly enough !

My search continues...........in the past the only superhot I've grown are Dorset Naga and Bengle Naga both selections from seaspring seeds in Devon.....personally I find the "Bengle" naga which is infact a variation of bhut jolokia more aromatic, tasty and certainly more aesthetically pleasingly than the Dorset naga a variation of Naga Morich but not quite as hot but at 700,000 to 900,000 shu but not too shabby !

I highly recommend seaspring seeds "Bengle naga" a variety I see little mention of but highly rate in flavour, heat and aroma ❤ī¸

Anyway back to my 2024 superhot trial...........

Here in Scotland I find starting early best in heated propergater and I use a home made light box to stop seedlings going "Leggy" this season I believe I started my superhot seeds Approx 04/12/23
20231204_155050.jpg

This season I used rock wool in a ice cube tray in a box in my propergater which I highly recommend as germination is very quickly observed and seedlings either put in soil of transferred to a kratky hydroponic set up less time wasted :thumbsup:

20231227_180127.jpg

Light box does wonders to stop Leggy seedlings, I use a simply homemade set up a reptile bulb in a homemade set up 7 cm pot's of soil and a few mini kratky hydroponics.

Fast forward to March 2024 hydroponics seedlings plus soil seedlings have been in my light box, window ledge and transferred and hardened off into my unheated greenhouse and have been out there for approx a month being covered with x2 layers of horticultural fleece ( which i highly recommend) temps have been down to a bit less than 2 oC ! With no ill effects.

20240320_093154.jpg

Dorset Naga in 5 litre kratky set up while I'm not huge fan of the aesthetics, my pods were very smooth the flavour and heat are excellent, this season I used the last of my original seeds in had from seaspring seeds hoping for my gnarly pod's than I had before......🤞

20240320_093149.jpg

The "Bengle" naga (aka improved bhut jolokia ) very tasty, a smaller plant than my Dorset but hopefully it will catch up, delicious and much underestimated in my opinion 😋
20240320_092855.jpg

Death spiral I have high hope's for this chilli pepper variety a strong healthy plant in 5 litre soil trial pot

20240320_092809.jpg

Super bhut jolokia jw the weakest/smallest .......i may give this to a friend to grow on in their greenhouse to free up space plus I feel/think it's not going to be hot enough ......😙 just a big bhut

20240320_092801.jpg

This was a Mustard Naga I grew last year from Black King Naga seed I'm not sure if its a variation or hybrid ? Very prolific hot and tasty........give it a go ........strong healthy plant

20240320_092747.jpg

Fatallii gourmet jigsaw (:banghead: sh*t name) the last of my seed from Mr Fatallii himself hopefully more gnarly than last seasons which was damaged by aphids and not as gnarly as I've seen.

20240320_092741.jpg

Devils Nagabrain red an F4 cross from Justin at White Hot peppers I've had alot of luck with Justin's seeds so will give this a fair go .................

20240320_092725.jpg

Primotalii this plant is a month or more younger than the rest but has caught up nicely I have high hopes for this one .........🤞

20240320_092717.jpg

Hurt berry apparently it's an early maturing variety.....? Hope so being a British variety I would hope so to make the most of our short cold wet season 🤞

20240320_092710.jpg

My 7 pot primo seems to be a big hardy plant again I have high hope's ..........

20240320_092650.jpg

My Trinidad moruga scorpion is also a big hardy plant no idea if I will like the flavour........

20240320_092636.jpg

7 pot Barrackpore a big besty of a plant ..........Apparently big pod's and big heat ........

20240320_092630.jpg

7 pot Brainstrain yellow another highly recommend variety I feel I must grow............

I'm pretty sure my 2024 superhot trial will find me a variety my grows well and tastes good in my wee Scottish greenhouse, last season the 7 pot Douglah blew me away with it's huge insanely hot pod's 😁 however I didn't like the after taste ...... 😭

☚ī¸ the search continues...............

Stephen

Attachments

• 20240320_092630.jpg
    20240320_092630.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back