• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

300w led vs cfl

Hi guys I recently bought a mars hydro 300w led fixture and am really pleased with it, I've got one of those cheap light/ph/moisture probes and I know they aren't the best but the light meter definitely seems to work relatively. Just thought I'd show you the differance between the led and my 300w omega dual spectrum cfl, bearing in mind both these fixtures cost me about £60 gbp

At plant height, cfl about 14" away
Cfl vs led by beano wallis, on Flickr

Led 16" away

Cfl @ 6"

Led @6"

Looks pretty hard to dispute the data.  I love CFL, but when I moved to LED, I've not looked back.  

"Numbers" don't lie!

Thanks for posting and sharing.

I'm assuming that meter is measuring in lumens?  I thought the minimum light you want to get on your plants for an indoor grow was around 5000 lumens/sqft. 

I use my trusty smartphone with a couple of different Apps for Light Meters ...they read in Lux but seem to be consistent.

I start directly under the light and work down. CFLs drop dramatically below 6 inches and unless directly under focus of the light.

I went to the local grow shop here in Honolulu and holy crap if the Kind LED keeps over 20k lux down to about a meter.

My two Hans Panels (60w model) drop after about 1 to 2 ft. Hans recommends 6 - 12 inches over the canopy and I do.

My Apollo UFO (130w) drops after 1 ft but it burns the plants if I go less than a foot.

LEDs are the best bang for the buck..but you have to check how far it penetrates the canopy.

I will be getting a custom spec'd array soon and will put a review up as soon as it gets here.

There are several googleable documents that give a lux/lumen requirements for various species.. So I don't know about the 5000 per sq ft..but I know what they like.

Peace

If you need another, the mars 300`s are currently £45 incl delivery. I have lux meter than reads from 0-200,000, dont use it much. The yardstick that really counts is plant growth and health.

I just used the same type meter yesterday on my led panel. I would have to get it about a inch away from panel to get your results. And it barely registered at canopy height.
Took out side to see if was broke and it went to max when placed in sun.

Oh well I know my led panel works. :-)

Back