• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

300w led. When is it safe to use?

I recently just bought a 300w led light and a small grow tent for my babys. They are just starting to break the surface now and shed their helmets. When is it safe to turn this bad boy on them? Thanks

i would let them get bigger first, like in a month or so before i would use it.  Like when they have their first couple sets of leaves going on.

Should be fine so long as you start the 'kids' at conservative distance from the light.  As you move the light closer, check frequently for dehydration of plants and/or soil.

When testing seed viability I let seedlings sprout in direct sunshine 90f. As Geonerd said, you just have to keep an eye on things, including temps right at the soil level, don't let them fry up.

That sounds like a nice LED setup @ 300 watts. Please post some pics, and model #. I'm looking to start trying some LEDs. I would start using it now. Maybe start it up at a distance of 3 feet away. Keep an eye out for wilting due to heat or lack or water.

I start my seeds under a 2 foot 2 bulb HO fluorescent fixture. It is 48 watts. It is about 1 foot away. 6500K bulbs at 24w each. I also have seedlings on a heat mat with thermostat at 83 deg. I give them light for 24x7 for 6 weeks, then move them over to the big boy area. At this point they get 18 hous a day with my 4 foot t-5 6 bulb setup.

If they start to stress, turn your light off for an hour or so, and let them recover. Yes the light helps, but to much and too long stresses them too. Remember with a lot of light they will need food too, not just water. I give mine as seelings 1-1-1 fert after they get their first set of leaves.

Pics please. I'm drooling at 300w LED setup. That is the future. I think some people have tweaked them to just the right spectrum.

I think you can't give "too much light" to them, 300w LED should give you a tremendous amount of light but 300w of heat is not much so it should be 100% safe.

Sm1nts2escape said:
I recently just bought a 300w led light and a small grow tent for my babys. They are just starting to break the surface now and shed their helmets. When is it safe to turn this bad boy on them? Thanks

As soon as they break the surface.

Ok guys. I should be getting my grow tent in tomorrow. It's 3x2x3 and will hang my led and will post a little video with info. I will say I plugged it in yesterday for about 30 seconds while it was still sunny out and just the glare off the walls blinded me lol.

I looked at a 200w LED setup today with the footprint the size of an iPad mini. It was very small and powerful. I was drooling. Will have to wait till I do my taxes. I hope to get money back.

Sm1nts2escape said:

Just out of curiosity, which specific model did you get?

I have it hanging over some of them now in the closet. Hanging from a few clothes hangers lol. I will post a vid and info on the light once I get my grow tent. Shipping was delayed due to the weather last week :/

Here's how my plants look at the moment. Some we're on LED and some on fluoros and now they're all together. All I need is some Mylar to put on the sides and it's golden :D. I have roughly 50 plants under 45W LED panel I built.

1W per plant :D.

-Walt

I give mine as seelings 1-1-1 fert after they get their first set of leaves.

Is that just a generic fert you've diluted, or a specific kind?
Here's how my plants look at the moment. Some we're on LED and some on fluoros and now they're all together. All I need is some Mylar to put on the sides and it's golden :D. I have roughly 50 plants under 45W LED panel I built.

1W per plant :D.

-Walt

Do you have plans/pricing info for that build?

I just wanted to update this and say that there is a such thing as too much light. The plants were having a very hard time and had/has purple spotting on the leaves as well as stunted growth etc. This was not caused from heat... I checked temp daily with a laser temp and ground temp was avg 80* with air temp at 85*. I had to remove one of my 300w led fixtures today and raise the one up about 8 inches. I purchased a 24" 6 bulb t5 fixture that you can flick a switch and run 4 bulbs or 6. I will use the t5 in this tent for better coverage when it gets here and use the leds in a larger/taller tent when the plants get bigger/hardier.

Attachments

• IMG_20140212_222535_005.jpg
    IMG_20140212_222535_005.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 45
You more than likely just had the LED lights to close to the plants. Depending on which light you have, but most should be no closer than a foot. I usually start mine around 12-18 inches above.

filmost said:
Is that just a generic fert you've diluted, or a specific kind?

Do you have plans/pricing info for that build?
This is the 1-1-1 fert I use. I teaspoon per gallon of water. I also use CalMag+ on top of this with RO water.

24fd6e3fa09c9c3d1f9861d7a000975c_zps67f77e31.jpg

4d0652576f58efe43a58a2beaa34220b_zps0f1e4f93.jpg

sosl0w said:
You more than likely just had the LED lights to close to the plants. Depending on which light you have, but most should be no closer than a foot. I usually start mine around 12-18 inches above.

I had 2 300w leds in there at first a foot above the plants. Had to remove one and raise the other so it was about 18" above them. Still was burning my plants. They are under a t5 now and will be going back to led in a couple weeks when I transplant to bigger pots and tent. Check my growlog for pics/info.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45161-sm1nts2escapes-2014-first-glog/

Back