• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

34F and snow tonight, bring em in?

Overwintered and new sprouts alike, out hardening off for 5 days so far.

59F today
34F tonight and snow flurries
45F tomorrow
41F tomorrow night
Going up from there.

Honestly, plant out here is supposed to be May.

Last year I goty away with April 1st, and could have planted out mid march. (no freeze or frost after that).

I am not afraid of covering them (once planted) for the odd frost or 2. Planting out early far outweighed the trouble as far as growth and production.

Thanks for any thoughts!

*I too like to live dangerously......*Austin Powers IMoM;)

HELLS YES!
Do not let them suffer with anything under 40 if you can keep them warm inside. Preferably 60 for the young ones.

Cheezy,

FF in Cincy is May 15. The only plants I have outside are the toms I'm trying to harden off and that's only a flat of them. I haven't even mowed my wheat yet, let alone tilled the ground.

Mike

I am a bit south IGG, But I appreciate the concern. I will bring them in, but after night temps go above 40 in 2 days they will go back out for good.

Thanks all.

yeah cheezydemon you looking forward to that storm. 2-4 inches here and last week we were in 60's to 70's. Sucks don't it.

Like anything else,go with your instincts!Or buy some bigger pots and do the hot peppa shuffle like I have for 3 months!Hey,Its cheaper than a health club!

chilehunter said:
I thought the guideline was for not below 50 degrees.

Ideally maybe. I've found that if a plant is fairly large and already hardened off it will take a night or two below that. Sometimes they will wilt with morning sun if not shaded before they warm a bit. But for the babies it's best to bring them in since they take so little room and you don't want to stunt them.

scoville said:
Like anything else,go with your instincts!Or buy some bigger pots and do the hot peppa shuffle like I have for 3 months!Hey,Its cheaper than a health club!

ROFL - I can relate to that! Containers = exercise! :lol:

All my plants are in the house again too, and I've been getting a lot of exercise:( I try not to let my plants get below 10C but they've gone down as low as 5C for fairly short periods of time in the greenhouse. The cold can be damaging but cold and windy is what's really a killer

I live in the lowcountry of South Carolina and it was cold enough last night that several plant were wilted this morning. All seem to recover but it was a very fine line last night at 46F and a bit breezy.

Back