• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting 35 Kg harvest.Pod yield vs pot size comparison and thoughts.

ChilliJez said:
Loads of really useful information. Thanks for taking the time to share. :P

This has probably been posted before but worth repeating here. Seaspring seeds grew Dorset Naga in different sized pots; they had best results with the largest pot.
I have a small Bhut Orange Copenhagen in a 200 litre blue barrel. Seems it may be needlessly large... :rolleyes:
That was actually my inspiration for using the 160L.Maybe I didnt water enough who knows.

After I posted I went and read through your grow log and frankly, it was impressive and inspiring and just awesome. 

I saw that you'd looked at the seaspring posts.

I want to comment on your yellow variety. I have grown a variety called Moruga Yellow that looks a lot like the pods pictured in the photo you posted of the underside of the canopy.  This variety isn't Trinidad anything or Scorpion anything and I suspect that the person you got the seeds from felt a need to add these names. I don't remember where I got the information from and I got the seeds from a guy called Otis on the ChillisGalore forum in the UK in about 2011. Anyway it's a hot pepper that isn't one of the Trinidad Scorpion variants and it comes from a locality called Moruga on Trinidad. It's about 100,000 scovilles, relatively thick fleshed, blocky in shape and quite tropical in flavour. 

For me, when I grew it in a comparison of 8 yellow chinenses it was my top for flavour with a clear mango guava type fruit character and big mouth warming heat. My pod average weight was 23g where Fatalii in the same grow averaged 6.5g. The other varieties could dry in a bowl in the kitchen. These would go soft like a Jalapeno rather than dry.

Does this sound like the variety you've grown? If so it's not so much like a Scotch Bonnet. Hope this helps. Do ask more. If it is the Moruga Yellow I've grown It's definitely in my top 3 for taste and I've grown hundreds of varieties.Superb for fresh salsa. I'd just like to follow your recipe for success as you have got awesome results. Thanks man.

ChilliJez said:
After I posted I went and read through your grow log and frankly, it was impressive and inspiring and just awesome. 

I saw that you'd looked at the seaspring posts.

I want to comment on your yellow variety. I have grown a variety called Moruga Yellow that looks a lot like the pods pictured in the photo you posted of the underside of the canopy.  This variety isn't Trinidad anything or Scorpion anything and I suspect that the person you got the seeds from felt a need to add these names. I don't remember where I got the information from and I got the seeds from a guy called Otis on the ChillisGalore forum in the UK in about 2011. Anyway it's a hot pepper that isn't one of the Trinidad Scorpion variants and it comes from a locality called Moruga on Trinidad. It's about 100,000 scovilles, relatively thick fleshed, blocky in shape and quite tropical in flavour. 

For me, when I grew it in a comparison of 8 yellow chinenses it was my top for flavour with a clear mango guava type fruit character and big mouth warming heat. My pod average weight was 23g where Fatalii in the same grow averaged 6.5g. The other varieties could dry in a bowl in the kitchen. These would go soft like a Jalapeno rather than dry.

Does this sound like the variety you've grown? If so it's not so much like a Scotch Bonnet. Hope this helps. Do ask more. If it is the Moruga Yellow I've grown It's definitely in my top 3 for taste and I've grown hundreds of varieties.Superb for fresh salsa. I'd just like to follow your recipe for success as you have got awesome results. Thanks man.
Sounds about right.Heavy pods,thick flesh,hot but not super hot.The first half of the season the pods had no tails at all but second half most had tails.Prolific fruiter as I said over 9kgs from one plant and a fruity taste.

Thank you for sharing your findings. I like the graph. I have a very short season, so I'm going to put some of my Chinese in bigger containers.

Congrats. Job well done.

Chuck

You have done some amazing work Swampy! You have become my inspiration for this season. Even if only a small sample of pots sizes I agree that the cost may certainly outweigh the benefit for the average grower. I think your growing conditions would have to be similar to Melbourne right? I hope to skip the polytunnel this year but floranova is def on the cards and I will try a similar soil mix to yours in pots and the rest in the ground. I will need some sort of greenhouse setup though since I have just planted my seeds.

I look forward to you doing another Glog with all the things you have learnt. Should be a real cracker!!

I know is and old post but this is really amazing, i have a question if i may, how did you use the fertilizer? How much quantity? Did you yus water the plant with the solution? Im guesaing that that fertilizer is for hydroponics thats qhy im asking? Did you continue the experiment? Or continue with the 65l containers? Best regarea you are amazing !!

Back