38F = dead plants?

We have an unexpected storm moving in Tuesday in southern Oregon. Tuesday night will drop to 38F; Wednesday night also 38F, but with rain. Both days will be in the 50s. Are my plants safe? Goners?

No problemo, in fact the rain may actually help.  I agree that Covering for the night is a good idea, a cold wind can produce a frost 'burn' on your leaves, even when air temps. are above 32 o F.

Your plants will be fine, just be prepared for a bacterial spot infection for a few weeks afterwards with temps like that and rain.  It shouldn't be a problem just be prepared.

SanPatricio said:
a cold wind can produce a frost 'burn' on your leaves, even when air temps. are above 32 o F.

Not true.  Plants do not feel "wind chill."  That is solely reserved for warm-blooded beings.  The wind can dehydrate your plants and cause issues if they are not hardened off enough but wind chill will not bother them.

birdfather said:
i've had seedlings die from similar temps. 

One night of temps at 38f?  Or days/weeks at a time with wet soil so the roots rot?  One night of 38 will not even kill a new seedling as long as that plant is accustomed to being outside. 

millworkman said:
Plants do not feel "wind chill."  That is solely reserved for warm-blooded beings.
Everything feels wind chill the same way. If the ambient temperature is 33 degrees F and the wind chill makes it 20 degrees F, ice crystals will never form. (Ignoring real world conditions where 33 degrees will be an average of higher and lower temps that will cause freezing)

A 0 degree wind chill in 20 degree weather just means that something is losing heat as quickly as it would in 0 degree weather, right up until it hits 20 degrees. Blowing more 20 degree air past something at 20 degrees will not cool it further.

Warm blooded creatures just start dying before their cells freeze so they care more.

We basically said the same thing Wulf.  Unless the ambient temp dips below freezing the plants will not freeze.  

millworkman said:
Your plants will be fine, just be prepared for a bacterial spot infection for a few weeks afterwards with temps like that and rain.  It shouldn't be a problem just be prepared.

Not true.  Plants do not feel "wind chill."  That is solely reserved for warm-blooded beings.  The wind can dehydrate your plants and cause issues if they are not hardened off enough but wind chill will not bother them.
Thanks everyone.  I'm relieved.  I've moved the potted plants into the garage as a precaution.  The in-ground plants will have to tough it out.  Rain is forecast for the entire week although temps will be higher.

How do I prevent bacterial spot infection following the rain?  Is this a leaf, or pepper infection?  Any effective organic remedies?  Actually, I think I'll post this as a separate topic since others might need the info, too.

Back