• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

4-5 Inch Habs Budding?

So, heavy rains over here in the last few days; I'm surprised my habs even survived the waterfall that is half of my fire escape. (I've since realized that I have half as much growing space as i thought I did, so no tomatos this year).

Anyways, one of my habaneros just started budding. And it's just 4 or 5 inches high. Is this normal? I know I should pinch the buds, and I will tomorrow. Just curious.

Habs usually throw out tons of buds starting around that size, at least mine always have... But they usually will drop most. I pinch all my other pepper plants except for my habs and the like as they are slow growers and the buds will sit on there for sometimes a month or longer before they even flower.

Its your choice. I wouldnt worry too much about buds on habs as I said earlier, they will throw out tons but for every probably 5 that come out you will probably only actually get one that wont drop and develop into a pod. It will be at least two months from the time it flowers before it develops and ripens so if you decide to pinch dont pinch too far into the season.

Good Luck!!

Hey charles, Definately pinch them off IMO. Takes too much energy away from growing (even though they may lay dormant for a long time), but in answer to you're question; yes, it is quite normal. I'm still laughin at you're "fire escape".... Bwaaaaaahahahaha good luck with that fire marshall.

So, heavy rains over here in the last few days; I'm surprised my habs even survived the waterfall that is half of my fire escape. (I've since realized that I have half as much growing space as i thought I did, so no tomatos this year).

Anyways, one of my habaneros just started budding. And it's just 4 or 5 inches high. Is this normal? I know I should pinch the buds, and I will tomorrow. Just curious.

I'm curious; how old are they? What variety?

My Orange Habs and Costa Rica Red Habs are 29cm (11-1/2") and 20cm (8") respectively and no buds. They're just over 2 mos. old.

I'd definitely pinch if the plants are still that small, especially this time of year when its warmer/brighter and flowers should stop dropping on their own. You likely want a good size plant that will support lots of pods

I'm curious; how old are they? What variety?

My Orange Habs and Costa Rica Red Habs are 29cm (11-1/2") and 20cm (8") respectively and no buds. They're just over 2 mos. old.

The age is questionable; I bought them as 2.5 inch transplants from a local flower shop ($2 for 4 was too much of a deal of pass off) while they were still in a 4x4 seeding tray. I transplanted them about a month ago.

As to the variety, they were labeled as "Habaneros" with a marker with the image of a few orange habs. Everything with that specific marker looked the same, so i hope it's pretty likely there were labeled correctly.

Buds are nipped :-D

Anyone have a general rule on when to stop pinching on chinense plants? Heightwise? I have been pinching on plants the same size as OPs but have left them on my plants that seem to be pretty bushy and closer to 9 inches tall. Like someone said, my main concern is pinching too long and not getting ripened mature pods.

Anyone have a general rule on when to stop pinching on chinense plants? Heightwise? I have been pinching on plants the same size as OPs but have left them on my plants that seem to be pretty bushy and closer to 9 inches tall. Like someone said, my main concern is pinching too long and not getting ripened mature pods.

Oh boy! That's a whole other thread. ;) Me, I'm not into pinching; didn't do it on my first plant and the first 5 flowers fruited, then the next 10 didn't and then it went nuts. But I can understand pinching on a 4" plant.

Back