seeds 400-watt HPS...Distance from seedlings?

My new HPS system should arrive today.  I think one forum member recommended the light be placed 18" above the seedlings.  Is this correct? 

Raise the light high enough that you get good light coverage for a 4'x4' square for your 400 watt bulb. 18"-25" should be your target.

Thanks. It's set up now. As I was already warned, pics are useless unless I turn the light off. Funny, for some reason I was expecting a reddish cast from the light. It sure lights up my basement, though. The light is about 24" away and really lights up the 4x4 area. I'm already tempted to lower it, but I won't. Do the plants have to adjust after being under T8s for 2-1/2 months?

Roguejim said:
Thanks. It's set up now. As I was already warned, pics are useless unless I turn the light off. Funny, for some reason I was expecting a reddish cast from the light. It sure lights up my basement, though. The light is about 24" away and really lights up the 4x4 area. I'm already tempted to lower it, but I won't. Do the plants have to adjust after being under T8s for 22-1/2 months?
Nope. They will be just fine.. Like said above if you wave your hand under it and can feel heat its too close. One of mine is a 400 watt and its 3 or 4 ft above and the plants are just fine.

smileyguy697 said:
Nope. They will be just fine.. Like said above if you wave your hand under it and can feel heat its too close. One of mine is a 400 watt and its 3 or 4 ft above and the plants are just fine.
Why is your light so far away?

Back