• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

6 pepper SHU's results

1tom2go, it is the white ghost pepper that bugs me.  The strain I am growing is one of the ones that goes green, white, and then rot without a red stage.  Some of the white ghost peppers go green, white, red, and then rot.  I wonder if maybe I am picking them too early.  I try to go for a white with a hint of green because I know they will be in the mail for at least a couple days.  Thinking maybe I should wait for full sheet of paper looking white.

Chocolate Bhutlah results dont surprise me much.  My seed stock is 7 Pot Douglah X Bhut Jolokia from the UK years ago.  I am not sure if I am getting this right, but I think the pepper going by the same name that folk think is over 2 million is Chocolate Bhutlah x Butch T.  It might be Red Bhutlah x Butch T.  Other people are saying nobody knows what the peppers parents were.  It is such a mess that if I ever come up with something really special, I think I will do like Prince and give it a symbol instead of a name.

I grow white bhuts and mine never turn beyond pure white. They are not that hot, this is 3rd year growing them. They will rot while white but mine do turn a pure white. 

We are likely growing the same thing.  Mine do turn paper white, but I pick slightly greenish because the days in the mail ripen them up.  Thinking next year, will ship pure white and cross fingers they do not over ripen while in transit.  I think it was Judy who pointed out some whites go red.  Previously I had not known that.  Kind of wondering about the strains that end red, wondering if they are hotter.

Thing is, I really dig the strain that I am growing and think you are.  The one that does not go threw a red phase at ripening.  Maybe it is because it has more flavor before your face melts. Lets you use more, get more of the flavor.

I've used Southwest Bio labs service and had my Yellow 7s tested at 519,300 SHUs.  

Tom,

Have you ever tested Chocolate Bhut Jolokias?  If so, what were the results?

Datil said:

No surprise nor grower's fault.
Simply put... White ghost is not a real ghost IMHO. Just marketing bs.

Cya

Datil

In my experience, the flavor is spot on for Bhut, but the heat falls very short. I'm interested to see how the more blistered strain would test. I think Duffy sells them, but I'm not sure. They look like real bhuts though 

Meme, thanks.. now I am going to wind up having White Bhut strain 1, White But Strain 2, and so on next year.  Between that and all the different peppers I want to grow, you gonna have me spread out three sheets to the wind.  Hi, I am A.J. and I am a variety addict.

dragon49 said:
I've used Southwest Bio labs service and had my Yellow 7s tested at 519,300 SHUs.  

Tom,

Have you ever tested Chocolate Bhut Jolokias?  If so, what were the results?
Mark, I don't remember if we have tested choc. Bhuts or not.  I'll look and see if I can find any results.  There's so many peppers and so little time!

Datil said:

No surprise nor grower's fault.
Simply put... White ghost is not a real ghost IMHO. Just marketing bs.

Cya

Datil

I agree, but I haven't grown them to see all the types of pods.  The ones I've seen are more habanero or something similar to me.

I just got some of ajdrew's peppers a couple weeks back and not only were they beautifull, but damn hot! Notably hot was the Jigsaw and 7 Pot Primo.

ajdrew said:
Meme, thanks.. now I am going to wind up having White Bhut strain 1, White But Strain 2, and so on next year.  Between that and all the different peppers I want to grow, you gonna have me spread out three sheets to the wind.  Hi, I am A.J. and I am a variety addict.
You might be interested in checking out the 'Rahi Seedbank' website (Australian site) he has what he calls 'ultra white bhut'. And it looks pretty gnarly. Not sure if it eventually turns red but I get the impression it doesn't. It is claimed to reach 1.3million SHU but I'm pretty sure he uses generic wording for all the bhuts on the site. It is a nice looking pepper though.

Jase4224 said:
You might be interested in checking out the 'Rahi Seedbank' website (Australian site) he has what he calls 'ultra white bhut'. And it looks pretty gnarly. Not sure if it eventually turns red but I get the impression it doesn't. It is claimed to reach 1.3million SHU but I'm pretty sure he uses generic wording for all the bhuts on the site. It is a nice looking pepper though.

I bought some of those, hoping to get the Gnarly Ultra white.. They were white (Not Ultra) , they were a nice smooth pepper (not gnarly) and about 30% of the other seed varieties I bought from him were not even close to what they were supposed to be.. I'd say the white Bhuts were about 500,000 scovilles tops.. 

His 1.3 million info is probably from the same info for all his bhuts and not in realistic average heat levels anyway.

I managed to dig up these old images from last year of the " So Called ultra white bhuts..​ keep in mind I grew out about 6 plants and they were all the same.

KrakenPeppers said:

I bought some of those, hoping to get the Gnarly Ultra white.. They were white (Not Ultra) , they were a nice smooth pepper (not gnarly) and about 30% of the other seed varieties I bought from him were not even close to what they were supposed to be.. I'd say the white Bhuts were about 500,000 scovilles tops.. 

His 1.3 million info is probably from the same info for all his bhuts and not in realistic average heat levels anyway.

I managed to dig up these old images from last year of the " So Called ultra white bhuts..​ keep in mind I grew out about 6 plants and they were all the same.

Hmmm they certainly do NOT look like the pics on his site. I'm growing Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Datil and Yellow Tabasco from Rahi Seedbank so will be interesting to see what I get. Oh I'm also growing his indigo rose tomatoes

Jase4224 said:
Hmmm they certainly do NOT look like the pics on his site. I'm growing Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Datil and Yellow Tabasco from Rahi Seedbank so will be interesting to see what I get. Oh I'm also growing his indigo rose tomatoes

I honestly think his more basic varieties are pretty accurate.... Te more exotic the less likely to be real, and I think he already has his " I'm sorry I send so many seeds somethimes I make a mistake " excuse attached to all the varieties he doesnt have stock off and probably never had... I had about 4 varieties out of 15 I ordered from him turn out to be bunk... and then another 2-3 that where just not what the pictures showed just something similar like these white bhuts.

Back