• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense 7 pot brain strain yellow, Scotch brain or Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow?

Good luck, in a month you'll have more seedlings than you can grow (as it happens to all of us).

I usually buy the seeds from Semillas.de, in three days I've them at home and the quality is assured.
I sometimes buy from Texas Hot Peppers and The Hippy Seeds Co., they are also synonymous with high quality.
In the last 2 years I have bought about 12 varieties in Bad Skins Garden (there, in Belgium) and I've mixed feelings: some varieties have done well, others have been a real disaster and waste of time (I want to think that it is due more to the shipping conditions than the quality of the seeds). Once I ordered from the Croatian Seeds Store and the quality was good, not only peppers, but also tomatoes and aubergines, but they no longer ship to the Canary Islands.

Cheers.

I prefer to stick with the well known seed sellers - Semillas, THSC, sometimes Fatalii. My first choice used to be RFC and WHP but because they all put customs stuff on their envelopes it all has to pass through customs because of the new import rules and this implies a serious extra handling cost out of proportion with the actual cost of the goods. Luckily Semillas and THSC send their seeds in ordinary envelopes...

Yes, I really think the same as you. If I want to buy only hot pepper seeds, it is better to go to a specialized supplier like Semillas.de, THSC, etc.
When I order pepper seeds from others suppliers it is because I have mainly ordered other vegetable seeds (the Pennybun eggplant they've at Croatianseeds-store.com is brutally delicious) and I always end up including hot pepper seeds in my orders.

I forgot to tell you that I've also ordered from WHP. The 7 pot burgundy you see on the left of the photo are his. I also have Big caramel mama seedlings from WHP.

I think Texas Hot Pepper is a great provider. Lots of different varieties, great quality, over quilted...and Garth is a really nice guy. The last order I made was in May 2021, without customs problems. On his website he says nothing about shipping restrictions to Europe. In my opinion, THP is definitely a recommendable provider hahaha

I prefer to stick with the well known seed sellers - Semillas, THSC, sometimes Fatalii. My first choice used to be RFC and WHP but because they all put customs stuff on their envelopes it all has to pass through customs because of the new import rules and this implies a serious extra handling cost out of proportion with the actual cost of the goods. Luckily Semillas and THSC send their seeds in ordinary envelopes...
FYI: both WHP and THP seeds are shipped in a plain envelope or a birthday card (at least to Canada).

That is very good to know! :dance:
Well, yes and no; sometimes seeds sent in regular (not padded) enveloppe arrive cracked or powdered, the scott towell placed inside the enveloppe is barely protecting them from the "rollers" (aka the crushers) :(

Honestly nothing beats pure Scotch bonnets or the Bahamian Goat pepper. I do love brain strains though. The original yellow 7 pot is still one of my favorite along with the 7 pot Jonah and the & pot douglahs

Well, yes and no; sometimes seeds sent in regular (not padded) enveloppe arrive cracked or powdered, the scott towell placed inside the enveloppe is barely protecting them from the "rollers" (aka the crushers) :(
That was (so far) never a problem to me...

• Wow
Reactions: Bou
After a year, here is my information!

This year I had the opportunity to try some of the peppers mentioned here, and the conclusion is that they all shared more or less the same flavor profile (intense chinense, sweet, citric and fruity...). This year I was already able to understand a phrase that I read a while ago (I don't remember where): "The typical Chinese yellow flavor". In my opinion, almost all of them shared maybe 80-90% of that flavor profile. They all reminded me a lot of the regular 7 Pot yellow, but each one with its own nuances. This for a donkey-mouth like me, is too similar 😂

So, considering what I've tried so far, my opinion is this:

- Brainstrain (yellow): Classic chinense yellow flavor, with extra citrus. The flavor is intense, like its heat. Like many superhots, she develops bitter notes on her tongue which I find off-putting. The heat is brutal, uncomfortable for me. In my case, I can't give it any other use than in sauces.

- Scotch Brain (yellow): The flavor is very similar to Brainstrain yellow, but less intense, especially in citrus, Brainstrain is more citrus. The heat is high, maybe a little above a chocolate habanero. In my case, I can use it in sauces and sometimes in sandwiches and salads.

- Moruga Scorpion (yellow): I tried it with more than 15 seeds and none germinated :banghead:

I was also lucky enough to try others that were named in this conversation:

- Bahamian goat: An absolute winner for me. With a smooth flavor and full of subtleties. It doesn't resemble the “typical Chinese yellow flavor”. Mild Chinese flavor on a fairly sweet base, with soft hints of citrus and passion fruit. The heat is below a standard habanero in my opinion, it's quite manageable. A real winner, in my opinion. I use it in everything, sandwiches, salads, meat, fish…even chopped over salmorejo (a cold tomato soup that is eaten in Spain, look for the recipe, you won't regret it).

- 7 Pot nebru: Perhaps the best of all the yellow chinense I tried (along with SB MOA). The flavor was rich and deep, with the mix of everything good from 7 pot yellow and scotch bonnet. There was no bitterness here, despite being quite hot. The flavor lingers for a long time. It is perfect for sauces with citrus fruits. The heat is quite strong, but without reaching superhot. At first I used it chopped fresh on food, maybe a third of a pepper on my food; but it didn't take me long to tire of such intensity. Now I can't stop using it in sauces with tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, passion fruit, guava...), I even tried it with apple jam and it's really good.

- Since it has been named, I make special mention of yellow Scotch Bonnet MOA. Although this year I did not grow it. Sometimes I usually grow it. The taste is really good; Fair chinense flavor, tropical, sweet, with a slight citrus touch... at first I noticed that green aftertaste that many name. With a stroke of luck, I discovered that if, after ripening, you leave them on the plant for a longer time, they lose the green/bitter touch of their flavor. It's really delicious. Another winner for me.

I hope to help future readers!

Good luck to everyone with your 2023 season… I already have everything ready:crazy:

This year, I also came to the conclusion that color within a species is strongly predictive of flavor, at least more so than I had assumed. Even across species a bit, for instance red peppers seem to share a strong, basic “red pepper” flavor.

So far, I seem to dislike yellow chinense, strongly preferring orange variants. The positive buzz around 7 Pot Nebru is very tempting, though…

This year, I also came to the conclusion that color within a species is strongly predictive of flavor, at least more so than I had assumed. Even across species a bit, for instance red peppers seem to share a strong, basic “red pepper” flavor.

So far, I seem to dislike yellow chinense, strongly preferring orange variants. The positive buzz around 7 Pot Nebru is very tempting, though…

I agree with you. For years I've been looking for "the perfect pepper for me"...a hot best friend for life.
I have found that most of the peppers I have tried are very similar to each other and that their flavor profiles are grouped by color. Fortunately, this is not always the case. And even if it were this way, the flavors of hot peppers are usually more or less good for me, although I always have preferences. However, I have also come across many varieties that have no taste at all, or have a fairly standard taste.
I think that perhaps I don't have as delicate taste buds as many others here who are capable of delighting in subtle differences. I really admire people like Nigel, for example.

For now I am satisfied with finding one or several favorites of each color.

I also prefer the orange colored bell peppers over the others. Also in baccatum and annum. If you think so, I think it might be a good idea for you to try the yellow Scotch Bonnet MOA (if you haven't already), because even though it's called "yellow" it's orange and it's really good. Just wait for the pepper to mature and then another 7-8 days before picking, they taste really good.
I also think you can't go wrong with 7 Pot Nebru.

However, I find the red bell peppers really good too. One of my favorites is the Primo/Reaper red.

Next season I will continue to look for my favorite yellow friend, I will try SB Papa Dreadie and I have some oranges on the list, like BOC, hoping to find new varieties that will make me drool. Although my real bet for the season will be varieties that mature from black to red. Yes, sometimes I also think I'm a bit of a freak person.

Cheers.

- 7 Pot nebru: Perhaps the best of all the yellow chinense I tried (along with SB MOA). The flavor was rich and deep, with the mix of everything good from 7 pot yellow and scotch bonnet. There was no bitterness here, despite being quite hot. The flavor lingers for a long time. It is perfect for sauces with citrus fruits. The heat is quite strong, but without reaching superhot. At first I used it chopped fresh on food, maybe a third of a pepper on my food; but it didn't take me long to tire of such intensity. Now I can't stop using it in sauces with tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, passion fruit, guava...), I even tried it with apple jam and it's really good.
I told you it was a winner🏆 😎

Last edited:
Back