7 Pot Primo Scoville Challenge

One question --- If this is indeed the procedure for testing what is there to keep a person from purchasing (or obtaining) some pure cap extract - injecting some inside of a pod and then drying the result - grinding and sending in for testing - would the test show any anomoly as a result or would the additional Capsaicin just increase the tested rating of the pod ??

I was just gonna ask this. Was thinking "hmm...I could empty 1/2 a botle of Pure Evil onto the pods as they dried and *Poof!* another 1M scovs.

I think Scott LDHS is.

No, not "certified" (certifiable perhaps? lol) - I was an ag-hort major - but I was more on the applied sciences side of things. Greenhouse management and pests/diseases of ornamental plants & such.

Or the whole brainstrain controversy...

what contraversy? Somehow I missed this one.

He renamed the primo to the reaper, I call bull shit and give all the credit to Primo

Seems like this could easily be proved or debunked with a DNA test. Labs do more than test Scoville units you know.

It makes me curious as to why neither Ed nor Primo has done this yet.

One the Primo side of things, an independantly validated test could be worth a small fortune if you indeed have rights to this pepper. On the Ed side, you'd think he'd dive in & do this merely to quash the contraversy that's brewing. What would it cost, $100? $200? That's nothing compared to what's at stake for his rep & business.

Just seems odd that with so much on the line, all that's really happened are some words on the Internet.

I've got no dog in this fight - I'm just sayin.

I wish both growers well and hope that some resolution is met from all of this.

And who knows - perhaps both your seeds/plants will sell much better for any publicity that such a contraversy generates.

Maybe we're all taking that bait right now, just to play Devil's advocate, both growers stand to gain substantially increased sales with contraversy/publicity than without. How do we know Primo, Joe and Ed aren't all working together on this WWE script to generate sales for them all? Again, I dunno, I'm just sayin. Just another equally plausible theory.

I choose to side with neither - would love to try the Primos and the Reapers both sometime. When someone's selling pods, let me know & I'll buy a SFRB from ya to make a micro batch from. :cheers:

ETA - sorry for the double post.

I asked the good Dr. at southwest Bio about DNA varietal testing (for an unrelated matter) and was told they do not do anything like that and the only people he knows that may do it would be NMSU- CPI.

I asked the good Dr. at southwest Bio about DNA varietal testing (for an unrelated matter) and was told they do not do anything like that and the only people he knows that may do it would be NMSU- CPI.

oh, ok - well there ya go.
:D

I guess I figured if I can get my dog tested for $70 (which I have not done, btw) then you could determine plant lineage - or in the least see if two peppers were indeed the same exact strain (as alleged in the post I quoted).

Thanks for the 4-11!

Even if the Primo and the reaper are exactly the same you can only copyright the name, not the pepper unless its special enough to recieve PVP status. This is the first post I've heard about large podded Primos. One main observation that has been noted in the past is that the Primos usually produce pods that are quite small.
Now saying these peppers are the same without any proof is basically calling someone a liar and I would never go as far as that just from looking at pod shape alone.
Personally, I'll wait for Primo to finish testing pods(hopefully this is still happening) before I come to any conclusions.

Anyone have side by side pictures of the pod/plant differentiation? Wouldn't the "creator" of the new strain have comparison subjects to show the differences? Why put that on the growing community to prove? Maybe the "new" pepper has assimilated all of the Primo characteristics, or maybe there are simply too many similarities to distinguish one from the other? Who, botanically, decides if a "new" species/strain is "official" anyway? I hope it is not the one with a monetary interest. Reputations are at stake here, right?

reapers
IMG_0012_zps521419df.jpg

7 pot 'primos'
IMG_9996_zps3f3096a2.jpg

Back