• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 pot the evergrowing species

Personally I still say 7 pod, thats the way CARDI has listed them for many years as well as other Trinidadians. What is Jonah's reason for correcting it to 7 pot?

I work with a guy from Trinidad, he has his family down collecting some seeds and labeling them as they are called there.

Hopefully will have some seeds in the next couple of weeks.

I am not sure which is technically correct but I came to believe it was called 7pot due to the legend that 1 pepper could spice 7pots of stew, however those of us who love their flavor and heat (at least for my own part) would tend to think 7 pods would be better in 1pot of stew JMO! As far as I'm concerned, however, It makes no difference to me which of them is more widely accepted until I see something definitve that says IT SHALL FROM THIS DAY HENCEFORTH BE CALLED 7POT/7POD! I will continue to call it 7pot just because it sounds better to me. and that my friends is all the news that's fit to print, good night and good luck!

Personally I still say 7 pod, thats the way CARDI has listed them for many years as well as other Trinidadians. What is Jonah's reason for correcting it to 7 pot?
The Answer is translation, the original that I first heard was 7 pot, then along came Jonah and it was 7 pod for awhile (2004-2005) then after the second trip to the island and Jonah's english getting better, he confirmed the translation from his native language to english was 7 Pot. But call it either, I'll know exactly what your talking about!

The 7 Pot "Jonah" (btw it was Jonah who finally corrected the incorrect "7 Pod" name) was a strain that originated in Trinidad & was grown by Trindadian
Jonah before he came to live in Florida, US. He actually lost the first seeds he had & went back several years later and brought the seeds back with him again, from which I was able to acquire a few from Allen Boatman and grew them out, it was at Allen's suggestion that "Jonah" was added to the name. I then sent out seeds along with the scorpion to whoever requested them. As a interesting side note, Jonah lost his seed stock again the next year and I was able to send him seed to restart with! The only other color 7 Pot Jonah brought back was a "Pink" 7 Pot ( Got your interest now eh?) but it was a seasoning pepper with none of the heat that we love!

I aquired some seeds from some nice folks on this forum for Chaguanas Red 7 Pot.I grew them out and low and behold 1 plant grew much larger,with distinctly different larger pods.they ripened to a definate yellow color.I just assumed thry were a cross of some sort,but labled them as Chaguanas Yellow 7 Pot.I posted some pics on this and another forum,never heard a comment till I got an email from Allen over the weekend ,whom I've met here locally and stayed in touch with.I called him back tonight and he told me the story of Jonah,and his bringing the 7 Pot to Florida.Bottom line,he also brought the Chaguanas,red and yellow,and they were mixed together.Eventually they made it into the seed bank of the other forum,where apparently these Chaguanas seed origionated.
I was just wondering if anybody else grew out yellow pods from their Chaguanas stock?
If so they are most likely a rare landrace,and should be preserved if possible!
Butch,I was lucky enough to get Jonah and Scorpion seeds from you back in the day,unfortunately the Scorpions did not take,but the Jonahs are still going strong and are one of my favorites!Thanks again!

well, if a genetic mutation occurred and if that gene was prominent, IMHO its ok to give it a new name, however if ppl over do it thats when we have problems. maybe we should have a "New Pepper" section where people who discover these new traits can post their findings and invite forum members to help stablize the strain, and onCe stabilized they "founder" can name it. This will avoid confusion and bring new strains in the community.

smokemaster said:
People love naming anything that looks different than it was supposed to be and calling it a new strain or variety.
At $.50+ a seed +s.h. for some of this stuff , it's very profitable.
We sell seed stock at $5.00 for 20.  If I consider the money in replacing the cages and cloth, raise the peppers, harvest, dry, separate, count, package and ship, I am fairly sure it is barely minimum wage.  Even if you come up with something new, other seedmen are selling it next year.

I think it is more that a handful of people have made it a fair living with years of work and a whole lot of people thinking it is an easy living.  More chasing profit than catching it.  Dollar signs in their eyes.

Back