7Pod? 7Pot?

I haven't grown these yet and really haven't had much if any exposure to them at all. But I run across references to them constantly. Now I have a question before adding these to my grow list. Are they one of the same with the spelling being the preference of the user, or are they truly different varieties? Searches on Google add just as much, if not more confusion to the topic.

I heard 7pot because the old saying was they was hot enough to flavor 7 pots of stew. The 7pod seems like something i've been seeing recently maybe just term confusion. Hopefully some the experts chime in. 

I'm no expert, but they are the same.

Some use 7pod, some use 7pot. I call them 7pods mostly as a silent protest against the 7 pots of stew story. I've read somewhere that 7pod refers to one pod having the heat of 7. That story annoys me less, so I prefer to call them 7pods. Most people seem to use 7pot, so maybe it's the original name, I don't know. 

I am curious how it came to be called by two names. Somehow I doubt I'll find a conclusive answer.

I am putting together my grow list for 2015 and dont want to use valuable grow space to grow duplicate plants unless it is a deliberate decision to do so. I have both 7 pod primos and 7 pot primos.

CAPCOM said:
I am putting together my grow list for 2015 and dont want to use valuable grow space to grow duplicate plants unless it is a deliberate decision to do so. I have both 7 pod primos and 7 pot primos.

Ok let me jump in here.  The real name (as per Trinidadians) is a 7 Pot.  It is a generic name much like habanero or Scotch Bonnet or Congo.  It defines a landrace. 

The name 7 Pod is as a result of Bosland & Co at Numex University's Chile Institutre calling the fruit a "pod" - which is not correct - they are technically speaking berries.

There is no difference in anything named a 7 Pot/Pod.  And a lot of the things called 7 Pot/Pod are not.  The name should only be applied to those that originated in Trinidad (the typical phenotypes of the landrace) or those derived by selection from the landrace e.g. 7 Pot BrainStrain).  Things like the Primo or White 7 Pot are not 7 Pots.  The Primo is an poutcross between a Naga Morich & a Red 7 Pot and the White is an outcross between a Yellow 7 Pot & the Giant White Habanero.  They are therefore cultivars (once stabilised) and not a true landrace representative.

(Please note I have not used the term "hybrid" but rather "outcross" as you cannot hybridise plants of the same species.  It is an outcross)

RobStar said:

Ok let me jump in here.  The real name (as per Trinidadians) is a 7 Pot.  It is a generic name much like habanero or Scotch Bonnet or Congo.  It defines a landrace. 

The name 7 Pod is as a result of Bosland & Co at Numex University's Chile Institutre calling the fruit a "pod" - which is not correct - they are technically speaking berries.

There is no difference in anything named a 7 Pot/Pod.  And a lot of the things called 7 Pot/Pod are not.  The name should only be applied to those that originated in Trinidad (the typical phenotypes of the landrace) or those derived by selection from the landrace e.g. 7 Pot BrainStrain).  Things like the Primo or White 7 Pot are not 7 Pots.  The Primo is an poutcross between a Naga Morich & a Red 7 Pot and the White is an outcross between a Yellow 7 Pot & the Giant White Habanero.  They are therefore cultivars (once stabilised) and not a true landrace representative.

(Please note I have not used the term "hybrid" but rather "outcross" as you cannot hybridise plants of the same species.  It is an outcross)

Maybe we should all start making an effort to alter the names of 7pot premo and white to something else or just adding "Not a" 7pot primo or "Not a" 7pot white That way the confusion isn't compounded leading into the future. 

D3monic said:

Maybe we should all start making an effort to alter the names of 7pot premo and white to something else or just adding "Not a" 7pot primo or "Not a" 7pot white That way the confusion isn't compounded leading into the future. 

Unfortunately it would just add to the confusion. We would have 7pod white, 7pot white and not 7pot white all referring to the same pepper. Then someone would grow one that didn't grow true and call it not 7pot white, or they would call it a not not 7pot white.

When I received seed from Trinihottie(Sara) from Trinidad all varieties were labeled 7 Pod.  All the early adopter and growers of this variety go by the name of 7 Pod, even on the CARDI website it is labeled exactly as Seven Pod.  The catchy saying about being hot enough to heat 7 pots of stew convinces enough rookie growers we get this language translation blurring.  Same pepper just different slang.

RobStar said:

That is what my co-worker from Trinidad calls them, and yes, it seems to be a generic term. He had no idea there are now several different 7 pots.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
When I received seed from Trinihottie(Sara) from Trinidad all varieties were labeled 7 Pod.  All the early adopter and growers of this variety go by the name of 7 Pod, even on the CARDI website it is labeled exactly as Seven Pod. 
Then there's that...

Although... I believe the original seed packet for the moruga scorpion was labeled "Trinidad scorpion moruga blend", and since then it has been pretty much agreed that "morouga" must have been misspelled with an extra "o" on that seed packet since moruga is a district in Trindad (like Barrackpore is a town in Trinidad). Now there are about 8 different names for this pepper. Some say it's not a scorpion at all. And all of this happened in just a few years... lol.

Bottom line is the naming of all these superhots is a total mess, and I don't see it getting any better.

OK, I am rejuvenating this thread to put to rest any confusion besides my own.

Any difference between maddballs and maddballs7? or do we, or some of us we, get lazy when typing out names?
The same could be said about BBG and BBG 7.
A hot pepper thesaurus seems like a necessity the ways things are going.

I have always called them 7 pods since I first watched Niel of the hippy seed company start eating them in his chili test videos.  Both terms are completely the same and are completely acceptable in my opinion.  A 7 pod is a 7 pot.  :lol:

t0mato said:
I have always called them 7 pods since I first watched Niel of the hippy seed company start eating them in his chili test videos.  Both terms are completely the same and are completely acceptable in my opinion.  A 7 pod is a 7 pot.  :lol:
The thread kinda evolved a bit. I no longer is a reference to the 7 pod/pot as it is to all the jargonistic nameature. I know they are not words but you will be able to get the gist.

CAPCOM said:
The thread kinda evolved a bit. I no longer is a reference to the 7 pod/pot as it is to all the jargonistic nameature. I know they are not words but you will be able to get the gist.

Ha!  Yeah I guess if I read every other post in the thread I would know that.  7 POTS are wonderful, hearty, productive, and extremely hot pepper plants.  I would highly recommend you grow them and you will probably have a blast doing so.

Back