• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

7pod rating

was wondering if anyone has details on the schoville rating of the 7pod? i've been looking online, but haven't found anything yet. i was just curious as i never see it on any scale

CARDI rates it at 750,000 SHU and the Scorpion at 1,000,000+ SHU. Rough numbers. I'd guess actual heat levels are much higher. It depends on so many variables. I'm guessing Scorpion would be 1.3m SHU or more and 7 Pod min of 1 m SHU.

+2 Jacob, and Cmpman1974
SHU is difficult to measure since each individual pod can be a different heat level, and different climates as well as stressing the plants can make the pods even hotter

POTAWIE said:
+2 Jacob, and Cmpman1974
SHU is difficult to measure since each individual pod can be a different heat level, and different climates as well as stressing the plants can make the pods even hotter

yep how hot ,how much or how little watered and strain of that pepper. some peppers with the same name but different origin have different heat levels.

For me, I really don't hold much stock on the SHU's after a certain point because after reaching a certain level hot is just hot. However, there are subtle differences and tastes that I appreciate.

Pepperfreak said:
For me, I really don't hold much stock on the SHU's after a certain point because after reaching a certain level hot is just hot. However, there are subtle differences and tastes that I appreciate.
Good points - yes, with the superhots I don't know how anybody can really tell the difference between 700,000 SHUs and 1.1 million. Regarding your comment about the subtle difference in tastes - only recently have I paid much attention to the 'taste' of the superhots - I was more focused on the effect of the heat. However, with the Bhut powder I made, I've enjoyed the subtleness of the taste, and the way it it works with various foods I put it on. With my hot pretzel mix, it takes 10 seconds or so to start feeling the heat, which is after I've been able to actually taste it ....(does that make sense?) - then the crescendo of heat falling back to a nice long (5 minutes or so) 'after burn'. I add enough to push the edge of being too hot for me. It really i almost addictive. I have the hot pretzels away today as I'm eating way too many of them. I have to find something else to put the powder on that doesn't add so many calories. (hmm ... bhut powder on celery?)
Bill

Back