• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

9-10 inch hydro pepper with about 15 buds

I have a chocolate bhut jolokia, in a 5 Gallon DWC tote, its about 9-10 inches total probably including the part of the stem that is in the hydroton
and its got about 15 buds forming at least.

I know it will probably keep it from forming a big huge plant. But if I can get it to put out 15-20 decent peppers at a time 365/year under lights, it should pay off.

I have pictures in my other post about my DWC hydro setup. I will repost pics of the buds. If anyone wants to see them.

should this produce full size pods? I'm a bit of a hydro noob still, really excited that this thing is popping in record time.

thanks.

Here is a few pictures.

9-9-1.jpg

9-9-2.jpg

9-9-3.jpg

my hydro yellow bhut & bombay morich have flowers but all previous flowers have dropped. as a matter of fact, to date, I have never had a pod from my hydro plants.

don't let that scare you though, the purpose for my hydro system was strictly experimental and to see how fast and large plants could grow, well that part worked!

once the plants get to a certain size, i move them into soil. BUT, as you know, this homemade hydro thing is addictive and now i have 4 stations(2 * 8 slot units and 2 standalone single slot).

on the bombay morich, shouldn't it be renamed to the mumbai morich?

I have some peppers in 16oz party cups with 1+ inch peppers growing... I guess its just those optimal conditions. The ones that are biggest are my sweet peppers, they look very healthy.. and there is a bunch on that plant. I just keep watering it like crazy and the pods just keep getting larger.

i have a bhut growing in a hydro and the flowers was falling off i found that if a waste a flower and use it to polinate the others it work great i have nine red ones right now and 6 green ones and about 5 more starting i am gettign about 7-10 ever week or so good luck

If you're happy with the number of peppers a plant that size will produce then stick with it. If not then pinch'em.

my hydro yellow bhut & bombay morich have flowers but all previous flowers have dropped. as a matter of fact, to date, I have never had a pod from my hydro plants.

don't let that scare you though, the purpose for my hydro system was strictly experimental and to see how fast and large plants could grow, well that part worked!

once the plants get to a certain size, i move them into soil. BUT, as you know, this homemade hydro thing is addictive and now i have 4 stations(2 * 8 slot units and 2 standalone single slot).

on the bombay morich, shouldn't it be renamed to the mumbai morich?

You lost me on that last one!!

If you're happy with the number of peppers a plant that size will produce then stick with it. If not then pinch'em.

I agree…I've never seen a Choc Bhut that size produce any pods before. My thoughts are that if by chance any pods were to accrue the plant's resources would then be diverted to growing the pods and not the structure. The plant would remain a dwarf until the pods are removed. I let a few plants go this spring to see what would happen and of course they stayed very small while the others blew past them. For the most part big plants produce more pods.

I'll start pinching... LOL.. good bye buds......

I know the others are not producing peppers.. so it will stunt them to much, thanks for the info...

How do I pinch buds.. that might sound stupid.. do I take it to the end of the stem? and will new ones just start to grow or will it go back to leaf production.

I'll start pinching... LOL.. good bye buds......

I know the others are not producing peppers.. so it will stunt them to much, thanks for the info...

How do I pinch buds.. that might sound stupid.. do I take it to the end of the stem? and will new ones just start to grow or will it go back to leaf production.

If you just pinch off the head, the stem will just fall off in its own time by itself. That way you don't have to worry about damaging the branches and or the main structure.

I just left stubs I figured they would brown and fall off like I had seen on some under developed buds.

thanks for the info. I'm psyched to grow some good motherplants, which was my original thought of these if they took off.

My main problem is I need to look at decent lighting for the basement.

I might get like a 400 watt hps for my winter grow ideas, but I need affordable setup but not super cheap crap.

How many hours a day should I be giving these? of light right now.

It varies among members and depends on what you're trying to do. I start my seedlings towards the end of February and move them out at the beginning of June. The lights off time are from 10:00 PM to about 7:00 AM and that seems to work for what I'm doing. You're moving in an area I'm unfamiliar with, so you may want to post the forum on that one.

Good luck, Jack

Back