• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking A couple of butts for Memorial day (with pics)

Decided to have a few friends over later tonight and thought I would smoke up a couple of butts during the day before they arrive. Started off with a 8 and 7 pounder from the local butcher.

Here is a pic of the butts before trimming.

DSCN0486.jpg

After the trim.

DSCN0487.jpg

Added a thick slather of yellow spicy mustard.

DSCN0489.jpg

Picture of the dry rub that will be added over the mustard.

DSCN0491.jpg

The dry rub consist of dry ceyenne pepper, habanero pepper, cummin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed sea salt, extreme season, mustard powder, black and white pepper, old bay, a small amount of ginger powder, dark brown sugar, white sugar, smoked paprika, and dry worcestershire powder.

I usually put butts on a skewer so I can coat the entire butt with rub and keep them standing up on the grill for the first 4 hours so a nice bark is formed over the entire piece of meat.

Here is a pic of the butts with a heavy coat of rub applied.

DSCN0493.jpg

The coals are hot and are under the drip pan that has 3/4 apple cidar and 1/4 salted water in it. This keeps the meat moist as it will be smoked for 10 hours in all. I also make a thick stack of apple chips on one side. This keeps a heavy amount of smoke in the smoker at all times and because apple is a sweet mellow wood it won't over power the butts at all.

DSCN0496.jpg

Here is a pic of the butts stand up on the smoker getting ready for the long smoke. I replace the metal skewer with a wooden one.

DSCN0496.jpg

Here is a picture of them on the grill.

DSCN0501.jpg

Here they our an hour and a half later.

DSCN0502.jpg

Removed the drip pan with apple cidar and putting on some thick pieces of apple wood and more chips. From here out I will use thick chunks of apple wood that had been soaked in water for at least an hour. The not only keeps the apple smoke thick, but also keeps the smoker moist and helps prevent the meat from drying out.

DSCN0504.jpg

A picture of of the smoker that has a thick blue smoke coming out of the top vent.

DSCN0506.jpg

A pic of the butts 3 hours into the smoke about to remove from the skewer with a nice bark forming.

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

Update:

I'm a few hours behind, but here is an updated pic after about 5 hours of smoking. The bark is getting really dark and the meat is pulling away from the bone just slightly.

DSCN0511.jpg

Thought I would add a picture of my chocolate hab and scorpion that are coming along nicely next to my red nectar that keeps me company on the patio.

DSCN0512.jpg

damn good looking eats... you can send me a leftover Pulled pork sandwich..lol

i am having a problem finding shoulders and butts around here lately...the quest is on..lol

I actually ended up with quit a bit of extra pork. Say around 6lbs so you know what i'll be eating for at least a week!

peter pepper said:
in your 3rd finished pic - is that bacon wrapped asparagus that I see???

Ohh yeah. The old lady always make me have some type of green for dinner so I wrap the asparagus in bacon and coat them in the same rub I put on the meat. Then pop them on the grill for 15 minutes or so and serve. Really good considering it is asparagus.

Man, that looks like a cooling rock of molten lava! I'd love to try that some time. Just got to get me a smoker. I really like asparagus wrapped bacon dipped in the yolk of soft boiled eggs. Really takes the healthiness out of it all :lol:

Blister said:
Man, that looks like a cooling rock of molten lava! I'd love to try that some time. Just got to get me a smoker. I really like asparagus wrapped bacon dipped in the yolk of soft boiled eggs. Really takes the healthiness out of it all :lol:

PM sent

you can build a cheap one

The pork looks great, but what really caught my eye is the bacon wrapped asparagus. Anything wrapped in bacon is good. Did you do that on the grill too?

Thanatopsis said:
The pork looks great, but what really caught my eye is the bacon wrapped asparagus. Anything wrapped in bacon is good. Did you do that on the grill too?

Ohh yeah. I have a combo smoker that doubles as a grill so when the pork comes off I move the leftover coals to the main area and put in a small grate and cook them for about 10 minutes about 6" over the coals. I usually get thick smoked backon and wrap them really tight around the largest asparagus I can find and use the same rub to generously rub them down first. Very good eats!

Back