• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A couple of growing questions from a newb

I have been reading the message board for a few months now,  but this is my first post on the forum.  This is also my first season with growing hot peppers. 

Back in early June I was with my wife buying some plants for our flower garden.  While we were  at the nursery I happened to stumble across a section of hot peppers and I noticed a small section in the back that had four Bhut jolokia plants that caught my eye.  I have always been a fan of fiery foods  my entire life so I thought it would be kind of cool to grow a few Ghost Pepper plants.  I bought the 4 plants that were about 12” tall at the time, and they were starting to show signs of pods forming.  Well, that was a little over 3 months ago and I am now hooked on growing pepper plants.  I find it extremely relaxing and almost therapeutic to come home from work every night and to check out what kind of progress my plants are having. My plants are are now 3 feet tall and seem to be in good health.  In a week I’m about to pick the first harvest of the plants which looks like around 15-20 ripe peppers, and there are tons of new flowers and several small pods forming on each of the plants besides the 20 ripe peppers. 

I have two questions for the message board and it has probably already when answered a million times but I figure I would ask anyway.  I know my first harvest is nothing to write home about but I was wondering what most of you do with your super hot peppers once your plants start to produce a lot of fruits at a time.  I was thinking about dehydrating most of them and making a powder to add to our family’s cooking.  What are other board members doing with their super hots when you have 100’s of pods to harvest? 

My second question is, do I still have time to get ripe fruit by the end of the grow season if my plants are starting to flower and small pods are starting to form?  I live in the Midwest and I suspect our first frost will come sometime in mid October.

I mostly freeze or dehydrate when i have too much pods to really cook with. You could try some infused salts as well, those are really tasty. (blend up peppers with course sea salt and then dry the mixture out in a warm well ventilated space or a dehydrator.) 
If you are getting new small pods now they should be ripe before winter really sets in, I believe, but if they are in pots, you can always bring them inside late season and let the pods ripen further inside, just watch out for aphid infestations.

:welcome: from WI. I'm preserving mine by freezing them. After they're frozen you can still sauce them or dehydrate them.
I also just learned about AJ's Puree. It seems like a good way to go if you've got the time and supplies.
Selling them in SFRB's seems like a good way to recoup cash for soil for next year.

Also you could try to overwinter a couple of plants for next year and they'll produce earlier...

Good Luck

Supers aren't something you need a lot of. I normally freeze my extra supers. They loose texture, but are still great for cooking and saucing.

Back