pests A few aphids...

Partially bury a solo cup near each plant and then put an inch or two of beer in it.  The beer attracts them, then they crawl in a drown.  You have to keep up on it though as rain will wash the beer out.  Remove and debris nearby that may be providing shelter for them, pieces of wood, leaf piles, etc...

You can also get a roll of copper tape from a craft store and put a band of it around the rim of the pot (if you are growing in containers) and it will prevent them from crossing it.  Supposedly their slime reacts with the copper and gives them an electrical shock.

In the off season, chicken tractors will do wonders to eliminate tons of pest bugs if you have access to chickens and neighbors that wouldnt mind them lol...

I spray with neem once a week regardless of pest sightings,  every 3 days during outbreaks.  its tough to look at every single leaf on all 400 plants.

Put a round of neem down on everything - I also noticed my tomatoes had MANY winged black aphids so I shot them too.  We'll see!  Hit 'em again next week with another dose?

best preparation for neem:

load a 1 liter spray bottle up with rather warm-hot water .... 2-3 drops of dishwashing soap (surfactant) ... and then some 10cc neem (also warm)

shake vigorously - you will get a whitish emulsion ... then spray while still warm-hot ...til everything is dripping wet

does take up to 2 weeks to get noticable results ... I understand neem breaks their reproduction cycle which happens to be around 2 weeks

so basically the aphids you have will die of old age but without offspring

repeat every 2-3 days during infestation for 2-3 weeks ... then use a 7-14 days cycle to spray

cheers 
al

10 Cubic Centimeters tah 2-3 drops of soap?  Sorry my brother from down under but we use a little different liquid measurements here in the US.

Here is the mix I use

1 TBS of Neem

1 TSP of Dog Tick and Flea Shampoo

1 Gallon of water

add some pepper juice(strained) to really kick their asses

Also neem will kill almost anything hit with it within a few hours.

Prehensile said:
10 Cubic Centimeters tah 2-3 drops of soap?  Sorry my brother from down under but we use a little different liquid measurements here in the US.

10 cc is 1/3 of a fluid ounce

cheers al

10 cc is 1/3 of a fluid ounce

cheers al

10cc = 10ml = 2tsp

Back